Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK Shorty Headers Installed (Vids)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:24 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Default BBK Shorty Headers Installed (Vids)--UPDATE..more vids

Tuesday I had my chrome BBK shorty headers installed at Fastlane Motorsports in Benson, NC. I am extremely pleased with the results. The exhaust note is much much better. It has a deep thumping note almost like a mild cam sound, and on acceleration and deceleration, the exhaust pulses are nicely spaced to give that nice purr like the 2-valves.

You be the judge.

Revving vid. I find that parking the car on the grass instead of the driveway eliminates a lot of the engine/radiator/pulley whine that drowns out some exhaust clips.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2TO17cXa0U

Drive-by vid. My camera just doesn't do well with loud noises, so my drive-by vids never quite capture a high-quality sound, but you can still get a good idea of the header sound coupled with my Bassani setup. I wouldn't change a thing about my exhaust now.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO81FDzYbAo

TWO NEW VIDS:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFCaiyOiOww
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkdbsgugbhU

The power increase was amazing as well. It felt as if I got rid of whatever throttle lag was left after my CAI/tune. The car revs so effortlessly now, and the increase in torque is very nice.

An unexpected benefit is the reduction of highway drone. ...almost eliminated completely. The interior is much quieter now, but when you're driving you can definitely hear those deep thumps from the tuned exhaust. I guess the headers spaced the exhaust pulses in such a way as to reduce the interference that caused the resonance in the cabin.

Just a few things...
The guys at Fastlane know their stuff. The guy who installed my 4.10 gears (with absolutely no whine!) is the same guy that did my headers. He dropped the bottom out of the car to make it easier. Took out the front wheels, K-brace, steering rod, ...etc. I asked him about the gasket that came with the headers, and he said he would use the stock metal gasket because if it leaked, you just have to retighten, but if the graphite leaked and blew out, you've got to take the header off and get a new gasket.
When I first called to price the installation, I inquired about the need to get headers retightened after so many miles, and the owner told me that the only reason you have to get headers retightened is if they were not installed correctly. He said, "Once we install them, they are on the car for good."
The headers are the BBK chrome tuned length shorties from Brenspeed $268.
The original estimate for the installation was $350, but my exhaust was a real problem to uninstall and re-install, so I had to pay more labor costs. The total installation came to $435 with taxes. It was well worth it. (Total time was about 5 hours because of the problems with my midpipe removal and reinstallation.)
When the installer drove the car afterwards for the test drive, he couldn't stop talking about how good the car sounded. He said more than once that it was the best sounding '05-up Mustang he'd heard, and another guy in the shop asked what kind of exhaust I had because he thought it was "DEEP!" Of course, these statements are always subjective, but I sure am in love with this sound.
IMO, the distinct thumping was what the S197 has been missing all along. Now, I have it.

Last edited by thewarmachine; 02-08-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:03 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Nice sound, thanks for the install advise too.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:21 PM
MadMike1337
2nd Gear Member

sounds real nice man. ill be adding bbk tuned shorties w/a magnaflow catted x after finals are over at rutgers. i cant wait! car sounds great!
Old 02-06-2009, 05:38 AM
mds08
1st Gear Member

That sounds great! What kind of mufflers? I have the coated BBK shorties with the X pipe and Mac mufflers and the sound is amazing. I get so many people saying how it great it sounds. I have the cams in now with a dyno tune and its sounding better that ever. I have buddies with l/t headers and I think mine sounds better. Its something about the tuned headers with that exhaust pulse.Its took my install @ 4 or 5 hours. I forget the guy on here who said it took him and two others an hour and a half to install long tubes. I called BULL**** on that one. Anyhow it sounds great.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:29 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Way to go man congrats..
Old 02-06-2009, 06:30 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Love the sound!.....im sold on them!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:28 AM
cad316
1st Gear Member

good deal man! i wish i had never tackled those headers myself. When i do the longtubes, its headed to a performance shop to get installed...
Old 02-06-2009, 08:50 AM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

damn that sounds good warmachine! i too think the soundclips sound much cleaner on the grass as opposed to asphalt!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:53 AM
zporta
5th Gear Member

i dont think u parked far enough away when u revved it...haha jk man it sounds great... really like that sound
Old 02-06-2009, 12:47 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zporta
i dont think u parked far enough away when u revved it...haha jk man it sounds great... really like that sound
Haha! Yeah, really! I have to do that because the sound drowns out my camera very easily. If it were any closer, the sound would be totally distorted.

Thanks for the compliment.

Quick Reply: BBK Shorty Headers Installed (Vids)