Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:42 AM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

Well I am another younger voice at 27 but have been hooked on the Mustang since I was 18. I have owned 8 different mustang's since buying my first 1998 coupe shortly after graduating high school. I now own four, with two of them being classics, and have to say the collection will most likely keep growing. For me it is the thrill of the ride, ease of working on them, abundance of parts and of course the overall styling. It is also great that several other people share the same hobby so finding resources or just someone to converse with is quite easy.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Kids . . . the whole lot of ya

I've always liked the early fastbacks - a friend of mine had a '67 (red, 289/225, 4 speed, F70-14 tires) that was either new or almost (don't remember ever knowing for sure which), and it was a hoot to drive compared to the cars my folks had. Then the Boss 302 made its appearance, but by then I was paying my way through school and graduating into a tightening job market so I missed out the first time around.

It took nearly as long as many of you have been around for things to come full circle and give me another shot. The S197 ('08 in my case) was the right car at the right time.

Quite honestly, most of the Mustang versions in between just didn't do enough for me to justify forcing everybody else to adapt to the compromises.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-17-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Well, I guess I'll bore you all and add to my post #5.

I had always loved the muscle cars of the 60's but didn't start driving until '71. College was first and then came a '78 Camaro. After that came marriage. kids and the cars that go with them. The ex walked out on me and the kids about 7 years ago and the divorce near wiped me out. After struggling to get the first of 2 sons graduated from college, I held his last tuition payment in my hand and decided that I deserved something fun. So a few days later I called him and said "David, I have good news and bad news. The good news is for your graduation I bought a new car. The bad news is it's not for you."

It's been true love ever since. When son #2 graduates I'll probably upgrade...
Old 02-17-2009, 12:03 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Well I'll add to the young (real young) group I guess. I am just 19 and have loved Mustangs since I was 13 or 14, and I wanted a fox for my first car but my parents didn't let that happen. So, over the summer I took my dad to a local dealer to look at Mustangs, and he loved the test drive, so he helped me get one. I pay the payments and gas, he helps me with the insurance, and I am very grateful for having this nice of a car this young.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Dannyf8989
2nd Gear Member

^^ always great to see another young stang owner.

I've loved cars all of my life, I blame my mother for this expensive habit. Shes had 1 or more of just about every Z28 made. Unfortunately most of them were crap, but thats beside the point. What drew me to the mustang was when my mom first bought her 04 mach 1. I remember going with her to test drive several, once in particular... She asked up front if she could see what it was capable of, the salesman said sure. I've been hooked from that wicked burnout on, the look on the salesman's face was priceless.

I've saved every last penny of my money since I was a kid, and luckily had parents smart enough to invest it for me... So on September 2nd of 2008 I became the proud owner of a 2008 mustang GT, 4 days after my 17th birthday. Admittedly, half of it was paid for by my parents as a graduation gift, the other half is all mine and I love the look on peoples faces when I say this is MY car, not my parents. I pay for the gas and will be picking up the insurance when i get the chance to work more over the summer.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Shelby_Daytona
2nd Gear Member

Another young(er) poster here at 23, I grew up loving cars, my dad had many muscle cars throughout my childhood. The most meaningful one he bought in 1978 and had restored in 1985 when I was born, a '65 Beaumont Convertible (Canadian Chevelle) with a 427 and still has it sitting in the garage.

He has been a Dodge guy for as long as I can remember, we would go Drag Racing every weekend in the summers when I was a kid, and the FORD's were the enemy/junk. I remember realizing I wanted a fox-body and thinking he would dis-own me if I told him, but he was understanding when that day came around... my first was a white '88 notchback. Now that I have my own life and family and preferences and am the Business Manager at a Ford store, I have a white '07 GT/CS and an '05 F-150 and am in the process of convincing him to trade his '96 Dodge Dually for a new Super Duty! *Oh rea - he's still a Dodge guy, running low 10's with a 66 Satellite!

The mustang looks awesome, there are tons of parts for it, and they're reliable... I've tried my luck with the import thing when I was 19, after my first mustang, bought an '02 Acura TL-S and it was garbage, never again will I own a Honda... so back to the domestics for me and always will... we all make mistakes right?
Old 02-17-2009, 01:37 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Only 21 here, but I've liked Mustangs for so long that I can't even remember when I first started liking them. Every time a 'Stang would drive by, with that power and wonderful sound, the more I liked them. I knew that when I was able to buy a car, it would be a Mustang GT.

For me, there's a sense of pride in owning a Mustang. It's an American Icon. It's history, tradition, & heritage. It's the excitement I get every time I get in my car, no matter how many times I've done it before. It's saying "WOW" to myself every time I mash the gas and fly through the gears. It's the sound. It's the excitement it brings to the people around me, to the reactions I get. It's the person in the passenger seat saying "Oh S#!T" as I say "WOW". It's more than a car, it's a community, whether that's a forum, a local club, a gathering, etc. It's supporting American auto makers. It's even quality. Did I mention the sound? IT'S FUN!
Old 02-17-2009, 02:38 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by OhioState87
Only 21 here, but I've liked Mustangs for so long that I can't even remember when I first started liking them. Every time a 'Stang would drive by, with that power and wonderful sound, the more I liked them. I knew that when I was able to buy a car, it would be a Mustang GT.

For me, there's a sense of pride in owning a Mustang. It's an American Icon. It's history, tradition, & heritage. It's the excitement I get every time I get in my car, no matter how many times I've done it before. It's saying "WOW" to myself every time I mash the gas and fly through the gears. It's the sound. It's the excitement it brings to the people around me, to the reactions I get. It's the person in the passenger seat saying "Oh S#!T" as I say "WOW". It's more than a car, it's a community, whether that's a forum, a local club, a gathering, etc. It's supporting American auto makers. It's even quality. Did I mention the sound? IT'S FUN!
PERFECTLY said. couldnt agree more
Old 02-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Default Why A Mustang?

Originally Posted by OhioState87

Pretty much says it all I agree. Plus I think the 2005+ is the best looking car on the road. I was lucky enough that my father bought me a car when I was 16 in 1977. My father had picked out a 67 Mustang and a Duster. Who wouldn't pick the Mustang? I loved that old car but the new Mustangs are waaaaay better cars. There are only 2 things I would like to have on the new cars that the old 67 had. First would be the turn signal lights embedded in the hood showing towards the driver and second, having a sliding compartment in the console under the radio.

Does anybody remember the high beam lights control on the upper left of the floorboard?
Old 02-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

I am 25 right now, but here is the short version of why a mustang...

Before the GT I had a 92 Ford T-Bird 5.0. Wonderful car, however it was involved in a nice accident So I was on the hunt for a nice car. I went to a Ford dealer and saw a couple of Mustangs (quite a bit used cause inventory since they traded in the 99-04 for the new 05 model). However I wasn't really into a Mustang per say, maybe a Fusion or something like that. The sales manager asked if I was interested in a Mustang, I was like yes - but I told him if I am getting a Mustang, I am going all out - GT only. He looked around and found one GT on the lot (used of course) and he was like here you go, but its an auto. I was fine with that since I didn't know how to drive stick anyway. I drove away with it and I loved that car (2001 Black Mustang GT), but since it had high miles on it (155K) and the trans was going (auto), I traded it in for a Scion tC (manual)... I didn't realize I made a _big_ mistake till a couple of months later (when I was decent on a manual then). So then I was saving anything I can to get another mustang. I was originally going to go used, but I found a nice buy on a new 08. So after careful consideration, looking over my finances, and asking for my wifes approval - I got it!

Last edited by Smooth_J; 02-17-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Why a Mustang?