Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRPP HOT RODS JUST ORDERED!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:49 AM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

Should sound sweet. I'm getting the Comps installed Friday at Brenspeed with the phase limiters. I'd really be suprised if I got more than 10-15 truthfully, but I'm not doing a before/after dyno so it'll be hard to benchmark the gains. These cams aren't really designed to make power like the heavier lift cams, but more for sound if any thing.

I would strongly recommend the phase limiters. Mechanically the cams will work in your engine without them, but if you ever bounce off the rev limiter, from a launch or miss a shift, your running the "high" risk of crashing a valve into a piston head. For $200 its a insurance policy you can't go wrong with.

If your not racing the car for a living, IMHO dyno #'s don't mean a heck of lot. Its all about the driveability of your car.....oh and of course how it sounds.

Congrats on your purchase bro.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:24 AM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

I don't race my car at all aside from the occasional light-to-light or highway on-ramp. I asked my mechanic about the phase limuters and he's against putting them in as it destroys the gas mileage and doesn't allow him to advance/retard the timing as much. Dropping my car off next monday... Waiting is a B
Old 02-24-2009, 01:04 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

How much will cams add?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:31 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Most seem to report 30 to 35 rwhp with the hot rods.

Using phaser limiters with the hot rods will also cause issues. Do them for Thumprs but not Hot Rods.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:33 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
Most seem to report 30 to 35 rwhp with the hot rods.

Using phaser limiters with the hot rods will also cause issues. Do them for Thumprs but not Hot Rods.
Wow for 30 rwhp + that nasty sound (in a good way)? And cams are $700+$500(install)+50(mail order tune)=1250 … I think im going to get them… Would these work ok if later on you get a turbo or supercharger?
Old 02-24-2009, 04:03 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Yes they'll work fine. A dyno tune will eliminate any HP loss if any occurs.

Keep in mind though that those gains are with headers and CAI. LT in particular.

The shop I'm planning on getting a dyno tune from told me through email that to install them it would cost $1050. But, I don't know if that includes the price of the cams or not. Probably so but I sent a reply and hope to hear back soon. If that does include the price of cams, that would be ok since the special tools would cost me at least 300ish. The dyno tune from them is another 400.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:07 PM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

i hope i can get a good set of cams down the road. congrats on the purchase.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Ohhh man. good luck with that mail order tune. doug w/ bama sent me two different tunes. both ran like crap.

I would HIGHLY suggest AT LEAST having someone that can reliably dyno-tune on-hand/in your area. I ended up driving my car (running like crap) 50 miles for a good dyno-tune. Just don't want to see you go through what I went through.

Other than that little roadblock, you're going to LOVE the FRPP cams.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

IMHO - If I'd had a blower first, I would have gone with some milder idle blower cams. You can still get a nice little rump rump and make more power with a blower cam. Buuuutttt, when you're only talking about 20-30whp either way and you're making close to 500whp what's the difference anyway and a lot of folks would rather the sound.

Personally, I plan to go with a centrifugal supercharger which should accentuate the higher rpm producing "hot rod" cams nicely. Life above 6000rpm could be a lot of fun... until a rod decides it needs sunlight.

Originally Posted by travis_stl
I've just started looking at CAMs. My goal is to bring that old car sound back without hurting power. My problem, I have a 06 GT with a Saleen supercharger and from what I've read both the Thumpr and FRPP dont buy my much and may actually hurt my power at low RPMS? Anyone have some advice on what would give me the sound and not hurt my power? I know a tune is due also, I was going to talk with Brenspeed about that, Im not familiar with Bamachips? I also know COMP CAM makes a CAM for supercharge application but it doesnt have that lop rough idle rumble.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:39 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
Ohhh man. good luck with that mail order tune. doug w/ bama sent me two different tunes. both ran like crap.

I would HIGHLY suggest AT LEAST having someone that can reliably dyno-tune on-hand/in your area. I ended up driving my car (running like crap) 50 miles for a good dyno-tune. Just don't want to see you go through what I went through.

Other than that little roadblock, you're going to LOVE the FRPP cams.
How long ago did you get your tune from bama? I've seen other threads that sing his praise on how dead on his tunes are. Just want to do it right the first time

i hope i can get a good set of cams down the road. congrats on the purchase.
thanks dude!

Quick Reply: FRPP HOT RODS JUST ORDERED!!