Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter help...opinions wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:30 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

ok i wanna be the black sheep that says pro 5.0 is best.
Its notchy to an extent but alot more percise. you really have to be an idiot to miss third as it has the tightest self centering of anyshifter, all you have to do is push foreward from 2nd and in it goes, simple as that.
the only complaint is that 5th can be a bit tough to get into and reverse is almost imposible untill you get used to the shifter.
As for build quality, yes the mgw is built well but the pro 5.0 is cnc machined from buillet aluminum... ALL OF it
the shifter is a tank! i bet that this part will be the last thing standing on the car after a nucular war its insane when you look at it.
as for adjustability, there are 4 sepereate adjusable positons high front, low front, high back and low back. The lower the arm the shorter the shift.
I had the hurst, and sold it, too light and flimsy feeling for me, Driven the MGW, too smooth and light feeling, The pro 5.0 is heavy and sturdy feeling with positive feedback and never ever gonna miss a shift. Also i know shifting is faster with the 5.0 then the hurst but about the same with the MGW
Old 03-02-2009, 01:42 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07musclemustang
ok i wanna be the black sheep that says pro 5.0 is best.
Its notchy to an extent but alot more percise. you really have to be an idiot to miss third as it has the tightest self centering of anyshifter, all you have to do is push foreward from 2nd and in it goes, simple as that.
the only complaint is that 5th can be a bit tough to get into and reverse is almost imposible untill you get used to the shifter.
As for build quality, yes the mgw is built well but the pro 5.0 is cnc machined from buillet aluminum... ALL OF it
the shifter is a tank! i bet that this part will be the last thing standing on the car after a nucular war its insane when you look at it.
as for adjustability, there are 4 sepereate adjusable positons high front, low front, high back and low back. The lower the arm the shorter the shift.
I had the hurst, and sold it, too light and flimsy feeling for me, Driven the MGW, too smooth and light feeling, The pro 5.0 is heavy and sturdy feeling with positive feedback and never ever gonna miss a shift. Also i know shifting is faster with the 5.0 then the hurst but about the same with the MGW
I had the steeda billet one...very close to the pro 5.0...and that super rigid billet construction did nothing except vibrate....even worse than the hurst. MGW supplies everything you need in their kit to eliminate any and all vibration or noise.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:49 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

From www.mgwltd.com

Some of the features that set the MGW Shifter apart from the pack are:

Throw is adjustable between a range of about 15 percent shorter than stock to 50 percent.

Shift **** can be adjusted both in height and rotational position to fit drivers' personal comfort settings.

Shifter kit comes complete with sound and thermal deflection technology to maintain original OEM sound levels and even better heat insulation.

Shifter has strong lateral spring load to eliminate the 3rd gear lockout issue with the remote shifter design of the S197 Mustang. Finally, you can powershift from 2nd to 3rd without hesitation.

Shifter assembly is complete with no component pieces from original OEM shifter resused. * Makes our shifter a littler pricier than the competition but for good reason. Some of the key included components not found on most other aftermarket shifters include:

Replacement transmission linkage bushings

Stainless steel bushings on both sides of front support

Lock washers included for all connecting brackets.

No noisy polyurethane bushings in our shifter

Shifter is available with your choice of shift **** shaft, one with the OEM 12 MM threads and one with 3/8-16 standard threads for most retro aftermarket plastic shift *****.

Shifter assembly is completely machined from aircraft grade aluminum and all billet components are hard coat anodized for a lifetime of service. All steel components are aircraft grade stainless steel.

BTW as far as how fast you can shift, thats all on the driver.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:13 PM
GT/SRT
3rd Gear Member

Where is a write up of install and where did most of y'all buy the MGW?

The one thing I don't like is that it doesn't come with a ****...I hate the stock one.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:23 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

I like the stock ****.. can you keep the stock with this shifter?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:39 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wilkinda
I like the stock ****.. can you keep the stock with this shifter?
Yes, but only if you pick the option for the stock thread.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:41 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT/SRT
Where is a write up of install and where did most of y'all buy the MGW?

The one thing I don't like is that it doesn't come with a ****...I hate the stock one.
Here you go.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...nd-videos.html
Old 03-02-2009, 05:54 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by thedrod
I had the steeda billet one...very close to the pro 5.0...and that super rigid billet construction did nothing except vibrate....even worse than the hurst. MGW supplies everything you need in their kit to eliminate any and all vibration or noise.
I've had my Pro 5.0 for 2 years and 14k miles with absolutely no vibration. I love it and wouldn't buy another.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:05 PM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

If you want notchy, come join me and my Steeda Tri-ax! This thread has got me thinking of getting a MGW shifter...
Old 03-02-2009, 06:13 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I have the Hurst.

Very notchy, even after 10,000 miles.

Looks great.

40% reduction in throws.

Quick Reply: Shifter help...opinions wanted.