Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? about tuner and check engine lights.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:03 PM
graystanggt
1st Gear Member

Default ? about tuner and check engine lights.

Hey everyone. On friday i got my C&L racer and tuner from Brenspeed. I installed the C&L and loaded my tune from my sct tuner. Everything went perfect. Later on that night i tried loaded a different octane tune and after it said the tune was loaded i had a check engine light. Now everytime I load a tune i get these check engine lights that i thought was weird because it did not do it the first time. I dont remember the code numbers right off the top of my head but both codes the tuner reads says there is a problem with the o2 heaters. Is this normal? The car runs great and can definately tell the difference but i just have to erase the codes to get the check engine light to go off. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Contact Brenspeed and let them know what's happening and what the codes are. No, it's not normal providing you haven't made any modifications from the exhaust manifold to the cats that Brenspeed wasn't aware of.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:52 PM
graystanggt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Contact Brenspeed and let them know what's happening and what the codes are. No, it's not normal providing you haven't made any modifications from the exhaust manifold to the cats that Brenspeed wasn't aware of.
Thanks for the reply. I will have to try to get in touch with them. I think they are closed today. A paper that came with my intake said they was closed from the 4th through the 9th. I didnt think that was supposed to happen with the check engine lights. Other than the Borla axlebacks thats the only mod to the car untill I put the C&L on.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

Make sure MAS sensor is properly reinstalled on the new intake. If its not you can see all types of weird codes popping up.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mpaint99
Make sure MAS sensor is properly reinstalled on the new intake. If its not you can see all types of weird codes popping up.
Good point. If the MAF connector is loose or dirty, it'll throw a CEL. Also, in a few rare cases, the connection from the inlet tube to the TB has been known to come loose. Take a look at that.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Sirsilent
2nd Gear Member

I had exactly the same problem. Called Brenspeed and they said it's normal. Just delete them. I got error codes 155 and 161. Happened after I tried another tune and now it happens every time I retune my car. If I delete it it doesn't come back.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by graystanggt
Hey everyone. On friday i got my C&L racer and tuner from Brenspeed. I installed the C&L and loaded my tune from my sct tuner. Everything went perfect. Later on that night i tried loaded a different octane tune and after it said the tune was loaded i had a check engine light. Now everytime I load a tune i get these check engine lights that i thought was weird because it did not do it the first time. I dont remember the code numbers right off the top of my head but both codes the tuner reads says there is a problem with the o2 heaters. Is this normal? The car runs great and can definately tell the difference but i just have to erase the codes to get the check engine light to go off. Thanks for your input.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...stom-tune.html

p0060, p0141, p0155, p0161 are the codes you are probably getting from the rear 02 heater sensor.
I actually have the exact same problem down to no code on the first load but every tune there after. After speaking to Chris Rose from Tillman Speed extensively about this issue there is nothing he could come up with that would cause the problem when looking at the changes made to my tune file. If I had made modifications to my exhaust system other then the Steeda axle backs then he said it could be a lean/rich issue especially if I had done change motion or headers. Only thing he mentioned was a possible sending issue w/ the electrical system as the ecu was trying to retrain the new program. I've put a couple hundred miles on the car and the issue hasn't returned so he said it sounds like a fluke in the electrical system on the re-tune and not to worry about it since an 02 heater error isn't a real concern for performance or engine damage.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:32 PM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

i had lean codes come back after retuning the car- the code kept comming back for a week then went away. the ecu on our cars is very very sensative. I took into the shop just to be sure and all checked out 100%..