Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRPP Hot Rod Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:56 AM
Leos06gtLL
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TorchRed04GT
What problems did you run into with the Bama tune? I'm thinking of doing cams this summer and there are no tuners anywhere close, so Bama is pretty much my only option.
i think he meant mail order tune not custom dyno tune
Old 03-18-2009, 08:09 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

JPC said emissions are not a problem with these.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:08 AM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT E UPP
Wow, I think I've waited long enough now and just need to drop my deposit off.... But D, have you experienced any of the reported problems that we have all read about i.e. idle is erratic and surging up and down, stalling, loss of low end torque, etc. Any worries on passing emmissions tests where you are ?? Ford advertises gains of 30 more Hp without their CNC heads and an additional 50 HP gain with
them.Unfortumately, some of the guys around here are getting only 15 HP more.
The only time the cams have been erratic for me are first thing in the morning when it's cold and its the first start of the day. Rpms shot up to 2k then took 10secs or so to go down to normal idle. At cold start the rpms will swim up and down for max 30secs and then it settles down to smooth idling. I don't have a before and after dyno but from driving, I can feel the extra torque all across. I usually pull off in 2nd and its still touchy, possibly even touchier now.

I'll be able to tell everyone how much headers will add with these cams as I am going to do a shorty install next month (if finances don't change) and get my dyno updated. My tuner is confident that i'll see at least a 10hp increase.

Arizona is starting to toughen up on emissions and my shop said they shouldn't be a problem at all. They have cautioned me against LTs as the combination with headers will make it a PITA come emissions testing time.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:12 AM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TorchRed04GT
What problems did you run into with the Bama tune? I'm thinking of doing cams this summer and there are no tuners anywhere close, so Bama is pretty much my only option.
What problems DIDNT I have? The tune he sent me had the following problems:
At startup, would choke and die unless given throttle
When driving, would erratically lurch or lose power
When taken out of gear, would immediately stall
I could watch my needle going down on a highway drive
CHOKING smell

And the best part of it all? When I emailed him to say there was a problem Doug said he didn't have a tune request for cams from me.

Overall, after the high praise about his customer service, I'm disappointed in the experience with mail orders.

Also, my tuner said that starting around 4500, there was a LOT of combustion. Became a joke around the shop lol. The tech guy verbatim: "DUDE! that tune is F$%*ED!"
Old 03-18-2009, 09:28 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Dang, I really like my Bama tune so far and I'm getting more and more worried about when I put in the cams.

I think I'll continue with my plan on not only getting my Bama tune for them but also getting a Brenspeed tune. Maybe another one from somewhere else if possible.

A dyno tune is a sure thing, but I gotta have an email one for a little while.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
JPC said emissions are not a problem with these.
Unless you live in California
Old 03-18-2009, 09:32 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Also, do you have a video of your sweet lope?

I'm still being tempted by the Thumprs though. They tend to sound a little more rough but it seems that more people report MPG loss with those and a low end power loss. Not the case w/ FRPP. The Thumprs will be more expensive a little due to the limiters.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

You just described my EXACT same experience with the mail order tune from Bama for FRPP cams. He sent me a second one but I'd already drove her to a dyno tune shop.

Speaking of mileage, I hit 23mpg on the highway the other day. Not bad. And the upper rpm range these cams provide.... wow. I have my shift light set at 6500rpm and it pulls strong all the way up till the light flashes. That's my favorite part about the cam upgrade. I like the idle too but the upper rpm gain is where it's at.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:33 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleep Deprived
Unless you live in California
Yeah I should have said EXCEPT in Cali. They always have to be the party poopers.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:37 AM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
You just described my EXACT same experience with the mail order tune from Bama for FRPP cams. He sent me a second one but I'd already drove her to a dyno tune shop.

Speaking of mileage, I hit 23mpg on the highway the other day. Not bad. And the upper rpm range these cams provide.... wow. I have my shift light set at 6500rpm and it pulls strong all the way up till the light flashes. That's my favorite part about the cam upgrade. I like the idle too but the upper rpm gain is where it's at.
What highway speeds do you cruise at? I typically set it to 60.
And I know what you mean about the higher rpms! I originally had my rev limiter at 6250 but I pulled it to 6500 and it STILL had power to give.

Quick Reply: FRPP Hot Rod Impressions