Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

borla sounds like sh** after x pipe install

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 05:47 PM
borla_s197

i totally agree with you, i have 550 in my exhaust and like 300 in my x pipe and it sounds ****ty, there are certain rpms where it sounds really good, but it just isnt a strait through sound, u would think buying near top of the line parts it would have a good sound, im gonna call borla up because when i talked to them they said their offroad x pipe sounded great with the borla axelback, so im going to call and see what they think a good solution would be
Old 04-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I want a nice deep gurgle at idle and for it to sound like a race car WOT. What I can't stand is a raspy sounding exhaust. The worst sound you can have is the loudmouths paired up with an o/r x pipe. Just raspy as hell.

I'm going to try a high flow h when I get my headers but if that doesn't work out well then I'll either try resonators or ditch my boomtubes. Resonators will probably be the first thing I try since I love the sound of the boomtubes with the rest of the exhaust being stock.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:53 AM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

Also noteworthy....the bassani X pipe is the most raspy of all the X pipes,due to its unique crossover design! On my previous S197.. I didnt like the sound of my catted bassani X with my borlas and ended up spicing in a FRPP X pipe in place of the bassani X(still utilizing the hi-flows) and it made a difference in the sound(alot better) and eventually swapped in an H-pipe..which was perfect! Its amazing how such a simple crossing of tubes can make such a huge difference in the sound...JMO!
Old 04-07-2009, 07:07 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

i love my borlas with pypes o/r h...cant count how many compliments i get on it per week...

i especially love it when someone lines up next to me then winds up in my rearview mirror and when i see them again they say "I COULDNT EVEN HEAR MY OWN CAR WHEN I WAS BEHIND YOU!"...i just get this tiny little warm feeling inside lol...

[URL=http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p154/mikegamez/?action=view&current=MyExhaustclipmpeg-1.flv]

Last edited by 0NF1R; 04-07-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:41 PM
fastpony1988

Default S***y Sound

my wife has 2007 gt with procharger we had factory cats with flowtech mufflers and just to day i added O\R Xpipe and wow did it sound like S**t
sounded like a rich burner with a V8 i still had factory mufflers so i through them on sounds a lot better but still not happy
Old 06-07-2009, 10:53 PM
TorchRed04GT
2nd Gear Member

I had the same problem with my car. I just installed some resonatorss like others have said and I have absolutely zero rasp.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:58 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
I want a nice deep gurgle at idle and for it to sound like a race car WOT. What I can't stand is a raspy sounding exhaust. The worst sound you can have is the loudmouths paired up with an o/r x pipe. Just raspy as hell.

I'm going to try a high flow h when I get my headers but if that doesn't work out well then I'll either try resonators or ditch my boomtubes. Resonators will probably be the first thing I try since I love the sound of the boomtubes with the rest of the exhaust being stock.
I just had boomtubes and o/r h on for about 3 days, it sounded soo bad. I hated driving it. I loved the volume just not the tone. I actully felt a power loss also when i ditched the cats, I put the stock mufflers on the o/r h tt has the same tone just a the volume is cut in half. looks like ill be on my 5th exhast set up
Old 06-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I'm curious to hear how boomtubes sound with LT's and a high flow H. Doesn't seem to be that many people with such a setup around here.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:19 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

Admittedly, I know nothing about Borla. Is it the stingers and the O/R X that sounds like crap? Or does Borla make more than one kind of axle-back?

I can't help but think this setup sounds awesome... o/r H and stingers...something ELSE for me to think about...damn money pit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QipUXRHGtDU
Old 06-18-2009, 01:40 AM
08_gt

i just got some borlas too. get mac lt headers and prochamber best combo

Quick Reply: borla sounds like sh** after x pipe install