Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty antenna DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:12 AM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Wink Shorty antenna DIY

I did not like my long antenna so I bought a shorty (8 inch). What a waste of money. The thing is not well made. It bends when you go to a car wash. The reception was not bad. So frustrated I decided to make my own. I took my old antenna, cut it at a size that I thought reasonable(abt 12 inch). I used my Dramel tool with a cutting wheel. Then I took a pair of pliers that I dressed them with some duck tape and removed the little ball from the factory antenna. I took the dramel tool again this time with a grinding wheel and shaped the freshly cut side (grind the ribs basically) so the ball fit snugly. Taped it gently, and gave it a short burst from left over black rustoleum paint that I have left to cover a bit of exposed metal from grinding and Presto. It looks good, it is structurally sound and 0 compromise on reception. In my opinion spend the 20 bucks buy the dramel tool (if you do not already have one) and make your own shorty than buying a crappy after market one..

Old 04-21-2009, 11:15 AM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

I got one of the aftermarkets and found it gave me better reception then my stock. It does bend when I drive fast but this does not change reception. As for car wash, I always take my antenna's off because sometimes they tell one of the sensors on the car wash not to wash that part of the car.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:16 AM
SC55509
1st Gear Member

That really looks actually pretty good, I dont like shortys because their to fat at the base. But good job man.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:21 AM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggy14
It does bend when I drive fast
Thats the quality I call it Sunday Happy.. Monday Sad..

This is exactly the problem. It is not a well made product. I agree on the reception.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A lot of folks here have made their own shorty from the stock antenna. I tried on mine (after buying a 14" aftermarket) so I could replace my g/f's stocker and ended up really f**king up the ball. I ended up getting her a 14" shorty on fleabay for $15 w/shipping. At least we have one, good stocker between both cars as a "spare".
Old 04-21-2009, 12:17 PM
acmike
1st Gear Member

I wonder if the mast from the 2010 will fit. I was checking one out at the dealership, and I really like the look.

Even though they were closed, I wasn't about to unscrew one from their car and try it on mine to see if it fit.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

what? carwash? in your black car? you must like swirl marks :P I took my car to the car wash 3x.. each time i noticed new swirls or new little surface scratches.. after that I wash by hand every time.. (even in the winters here) I just use optima no-rinse when it's -10 degrees outside, wash it inside my garage.. only car in my neighborhood that is a DD and still looks clean in the winter :P And the touchless carwash in town kind of stinks.. doesn't look nearly as good as when I use mcguires or optima myself. plus, I don't trust those jets not to ram the dirt and grit into the clearcoat, and they used a scrub brush on the back of my car.

I've been happy with my aftermarket antenna, +1 on the better reception than factory. I don't notice any bending.. I paid $9 on ebay for mine.

Last edited by Mishri; 04-21-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:47 PM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

Unfortunaly I live in an apartment complex and do not have the ability too. however i do use the dealership car wash which I think is brushless.

I do have two five gallon pickle buckets and occasionaly get out there and was it myself, just takes about 45 minutes.

By the way the paint job on my car is great, it spends most of its life under some covering, I have a covered parking spot at my apartment complex, and then at work I park in a garage, so my paint jobs stay pretty good.

Originally Posted by Mishri
what? carwash? in your black car? you must like swirl marks :P I took my car to the car wash 3x.. each time i noticed new swirls or new little surface scratches.. after that I wash by hand every time.. (even in the winters here) I just use optima no-rinse when it's -10 degrees outside, wash it inside my garage.. only car in my neighborhood that is a DD and still looks clean in the winter :P And the touchless carwash in town kind of stinks.. doesn't look nearly as good as when I use mcguires or optima myself. plus, I don't trust those jets not to ram the dirt and grit into the clearcoat, and they used a scrub brush on the back of my car.

I've been happy with my aftermarket antenna, +1 on the better reception than factory. I don't notice any bending.. I paid $9 on ebay for mine.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:07 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_1276wt_1829

The best shorty yet IMO
Old 04-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

optimum no rinse for you then(one of the site sponsers sells it).. I also live in an apartment complex (i just have a garage there) so can't spray off unless I go to a friends/relatives house.. at which point I would use Mcguire's.. sorry to get off topic..

Quick Reply: Shorty antenna DIY