Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X or H?

Old 04-23-2009, 03:20 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Is there a drone difference between the two? I had JBA axle backs and they droned a little at 2K. I put a splice in X and boomtubes at the same time and they drone a little less at 2K but a ton at 3K
Old 04-23-2009, 04:22 PM
mxg30
2nd Gear Member

H for the street X for the track (this is not a rule JMO) The H tends to give a deeper tone as someone mentioned earlier and the X tends to be more raspy in sound. The X is the fav for best hp gain.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:41 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vasman
woodlands
Funny i live in the woodlands too but i've never seen your car. You notice another car if they have the same halo's lol. When do you plan on getting your exhaust? I will definitely come hear it.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

I love how people will say that an x-pipe gives more power over an h, yet no one has anyhting to back it up. If there is any kind of a gain from one to another, I can't imagine it would be enough to notice.

BTW, I have an off-road H pipe with Flowmasters, and it sounds really good (after I had some resonators installed!)
Old 04-23-2009, 07:23 PM
mxg30
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chris07GT
I love how people will say that an x-pipe gives more power over an h, yet no one has anyhting to back it up. If there is any kind of a gain from one to another, I can't imagine it would be enough to notice.

BTW, I have an off-road H pipe with Flowmasters, and it sounds really good (after I had some resonators installed!)
It's true. Every form of road racer uses them because the X pipe reduces scavaging which a creates perasidic loss (spell check) when driving other than in a straight line. Drag racers (real drag racers don't use either X or H but run straight through. This is a matter of fact for anyone who spends time on or at the track. Not JMO Also note that gains advertised are often over the entire rpm range and not in the seat of the pants which is where most people want it but it just doesn't happen that way.

Last edited by mxg30; 04-23-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:58 AM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

If youre lucky youll get 2-3 HP with an X over an H....but youll never know it!
Old 04-24-2009, 06:47 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chris07GT
What happens is that, in general, an X-pipe normally shares the exhaust mass flow better, meaning that the same pair of mufflers will generate slightly less peak backpressure. There is not going to be a whole lot of difference. Your "butt-dyno" won't be able to tell the difference, but timing equipment can.

The following charts are rough approximations (perhaps really rough) of backpressure downstream of an H or X location. For the H, there are two traces, one for the left bank and the other for the right. The top is a straight-dual or H-configuration that does not share significant flow between the pipes, an H that shares significant flow might show values 85% - 90% as much. The bottom is an "X" with full flow sharing. Mostly, you want to just look at the occasional backpressure spikes in the H chart. Don't waste any more time trying to compare the 'Amplitude' numbers themselves as this picture was originally developed for a different purpose (sound quality comparison for a V8 with the Chevy cylinder numbering scheme).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-24-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:12 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

I've had both on the car and I preferred the H. They were both off road mid pipes.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:40 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by vasman
Thanks. I kinda thought that the H was the way to go, but I had fastlane in Houston pushing the X's on my car for some reason. They claim more hp gain in the region of 5-7hp vs H pipe.. Did you see any power gain with the Kooks LT's and the hi flow cats?
Vasman...H pipe is definately the way to go for a nice deep muscle car sound with long tubes. The X pipe is too raspy and while it might give you 3-4 additional Hp, you will never notice it on the street. And yes, I sure felt it in the seat of the pants, after I got my Kooks LT's installed

Last edited by 07 GT E UPP; 05-21-2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:04 AM
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

I have Kooks LT with Borlas and X pipe no catts very loud and drone. Changed mufflers back to stock with same system.(Brent recommended)No Drone at all. Sounds awesome, alittle raspy but can hear cam alot more. I like that. Lost no HP.

Search this Thread