Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gps vs shaker 1000

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:59 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by Legion5
It's definitly an improvement but I'm using the highest end nav unit there is and the feature that would never make me switch to anything else is the ability to play dvd's.
Well..I installed the bypass on mine and to be honest it was used once while driving (my son was watching movie on a trip) and it was distracting. I actually have never used it since for playing DVDs..so for me, that would not be a big deal. If I could find a nice set of headrest monitors that looked decent in the Mustang..I might want to keep the DVD option. All the ones I have seen so far look like crap.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:14 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
It's definitly an improvement but I'm using the highest end nav unit there is and the feature that would never make me switch to anything else is the ability to play dvd's.
The NGN does play DVDs. Out of curiosity, what aftermarket nav do you have installed?
Old 05-07-2009, 03:52 PM
05pnygt
4th Gear Member

gps ftw...
Old 05-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

i dunno...
I'm pricing a lightly optioned 2010 GT Premium (manual) now on Carsdirect (they are asking $35,915 for a $2370 savings off MSRP, BTW) and the standard Sync (with free 6 months of Sirius) looks like a much better deal than forking over an extra $1127 for Shaker 1000. The voice-activated GPS option is $1910.

I would like to hear from someone who could justify the extra expense of that option. It seems like there are better upgrades to get for that kind of money. I have a portable navigation unit already, would never try to play DVDs in my car, and just don't see either of those options being worth the extra expense, IMHO.

Thanks to Fordengineer I have a better grip on how the new Sync works. If it could control my Creative Mp3 player I would buy Sync for my Shelby now! Are they going to be compatible with older model Mustangs?
Old 05-07-2009, 07:15 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240
Thanks to Fordengineer I have a better grip on how the new Sync works. If it could control my Creative Mp3 player I would buy Sync for my Shelby now! Are they going to be compatible with older model Mustangs?
Glad to help, and FYI: SYNC should be able to control your Creative MP3 player so long as it has a USB cable (if not, then you can just do line-in and forgo most of the voice control--it's still better than an FM transmitter). Unfortunately, retrofits are hard to do, as you would need to add the steering wheel controls, the SYNC module (about the size of 2 chalkboard erasers), a new rearview mirror (that's where the microphone is), the USB and line-in ports, and all the wiring harnesses to make it work. The only vehicle that I knew of (as of a few months ago) that had a retrofit kit available from Ford was the Navigator.

Originally Posted by Orion_240
I would like to hear from someone who could justify the extra expense of that option. It seems like there are better upgrades to get for that kind of money. I have a portable navigation unit already, would never try to play DVDs in my car, and just don't see either of those options being worth the extra expense, IMHO.
Now, I'm obviously biased, but here's the main difference: NGN is attached to your vehicle's CAN bus (high-speed network that all the modules in your car talk to each other on), whereas aftermarket GPS is not. What that means (for nav) is that if you ever lose GPS signals (in a tunnel, in a metropolitan area with tall buildings, etc), the NGN can use vehicle data like independent wheel speed to calculate which wheels are rotating at what speed. Through a process called "dead reckoning", the NGN can calculate your vector heading and speed based on that data alone (e.g. when going through curves or turning, the inside wheels rotate fewer times than the outside wheels will, and so on). The NGN is calibrated ridiculously well when it comes to this.

In addition, the Sirius Travel Link service is pretty impressive (gets all the fuel prices, movie listings, traffic info, and all that jazz). It's roughly equivalent to the MSN subscription thing on the Garmin units, but does more. Plus, it integrates with SYNC, so if (for example) you look up movie times and see something you like at a local theater, you can press the "Call" button, and SYNC will connect you to that theater using your phone with the bluetooth hands-free system, and you can order tickets. Then you can press a button and use the NGN to set the theater as a destination (or waypoint).

...plus, it has a monsterous 8-inch touchscreen that can do split-screen (nav and audio, audio and photo slideshow, radar and nav, nav and fuel stations/prices, and so on).

It does more too, but I don't want to come off as a salesperson. But like I said earlier, it IS what I work on (which is why I could talk forever about it), so if you have more questions, fire away, or send me a PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordEngineer
Glad to help, and FYI: SYNC should be able to control your Creative MP3 player so long as it has a USB cable (if not, then you can just do line-in and forgo most of the voice control--it's still better than an FM transmitter). Unfortunately, retrofits are hard to do, as you would need to add the steering wheel controls, the SYNC module (about the size of 2 chalkboard erasers), a new rearview mirror (that's where the microphone is), the USB and line-in ports, and all the wiring harnesses to make it work. The only vehicle that I knew of (as of a few months ago) that had a retrofit kit available from Ford was the Navigator.

Now, I'm obviously biased, but here's the main difference: NGN is attached to your vehicle's CAN bus (high-speed network that all the modules in your car talk to each other on), whereas aftermarket GPS is not. What that means (for nav) is that if you ever lose GPS signals (in a tunnel, in a metropolitan area with tall buildings, etc), the NGN can use vehicle data like independent wheel speed to calculate which wheels are rotating at what speed. Through a process called "dead reckoning", the NGN can calculate your vector heading and speed based on that data alone (e.g. when going through curves or turning, the inside wheels rotate fewer times than the outside wheels will, and so on). The NGN is calibrated ridiculously well when it comes to this.

In addition, the Sirius Travel Link service is pretty impressive (gets all the fuel prices, movie listings, traffic info, and all that jazz). It's roughly equivalent to the MSN subscription thing on the Garmin units, but does more. Plus, it integrates with SYNC, so if (for example) you look up movie times and see something you like at a local theater, you can press the "Call" button, and SYNC will connect you to that theater using your phone with the bluetooth hands-free system, and you can order tickets. Then you can press a button and use the NGN to set the theater as a destination (or waypoint).

...plus, it has a monsterous 8-inch touchscreen that can do split-screen (nav and audio, audio and photo slideshow, radar and nav, nav and fuel stations/prices, and so on).

It does more too, but I don't want to come off as a salesperson. But like I said earlier, it IS what I work on (which is why I could talk forever about it), so if you have more questions, fire away, or send me a PM.

SPLIT SCREEN WITH NAV AND RADAR!!! Hell yea screw the extra sub. I want this even more now. Heading to the dealer tomorrow hopefully.

BTW, reading on the internet I found that some people say you can get the dealer to install an accessory super charger either bumping the power to 375 or 425. Is this true or just internet ramblings.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:37 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Ford Racing Parts has available superchargers for the S197 up to MY2009. Those would give you up to 550 HP/542 ft-lbs at crank, depending on which model you chose. As of the the last time I looked, they didn't have 2010 SC's available yet, but since it's essentially the same 4.6L V8, I would assume the catalog will soon be updated to reflect that these SC's will work with the MY2010 Mustangs as well.

And because it's Ford branded, the dealership can certainly order/install it.

See: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...keyfield=10589 (550 HP)
and: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...keyfield=10590 (400 HP)
Old 05-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

Ford Racing Parts has available superchargers for the S197 up to MY2009. Those would give you up to 550 HP/542 ft-lbs at crank, depending on which model you chose. As of the the last time I looked, they didn't have 2010 SC's available yet, but since it's essentially the same 4.6L V8, I would assume the catalog will soon be updated to reflect that these SC's will work with the MY2010 Mustangs as well.

And because it's Ford branded, the dealership can certainly order/install it.

See: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...keyfield=10589 (550 HP)
and: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...keyfield=10590 (400 HP)
400 is plenty I have 550 hp on the vette when I want to go super fast. I just like the style, options, quality, reliablity, etc of the mustang, but want the power of the camaro ss.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

It will work and so will a whole lot more players:
http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Module...iaPlayers.aspx
Old 05-08-2009, 10:33 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

Dear Ford Engineer:
Thanks for the info I think I will keep trying to get the answer on the cross-wiring.
Does anyone on your dev team know the answer?

To give you some feedback on the Ford nav versus Garmin (I have the same unit in an '07 Mustang( the one in my sig of course), an 08 Edge and an 08 Explorer.

1) I should be able to put in addresses on the move after I "accept" the responsibility as with aftermarket units. This will allow the passenger to assist with directions. I understand liability but think Ford takes this too far, same with no Auto up windows in some not all of my cars above.

2) When looking for food or gas or other POI's while enroute, the Ford unit will take you off course to get to the nearest POI. The Garmin will take you to the nearest that is on your route.

3) The Garmin has an excellent restaurant finder by food type

4) The Sync system should update wirelessly as should the Nav system for new roads and POI's

Hope this helps in your dev process.

Fakesnake

Quick Reply: gps vs shaker 1000