Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gps vs shaker 1000

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

Default gps vs shaker 1000

Hi guys, not new but first post. Have not posted cause a couple weeks after I joined my mustang got wrecked in an accident. Was totaled out and I bought a silverado. Love the truck, but want something more muscle car for a Daily driver, and need something with a back seat. I only take the vette out in perfect weather. I tried to order a camaro twice, but it kept getting shot down by gm. So they dont want my money, fine screw them. I do like how ford is a secure company right now so that makes the mustang an even bigger plus.

Model im looking at is a 2010 mustang gt manual. But cant decide between the GPS system or the shaker 1000. I have a great system in my silverado. 4 ch amp for polk components and a 1000W amp powering a couple 12s. Sounds great.

I want to know is there a huge difference between the two??? Does the 1000 sound so much better than the 500 its worth loosing the GPS for. I really dont need the GPS. but like the traffic, and look of the screen so much more than the buttons. Also I dont really want to mod the mustang other than performance. I had issues with my sound system messing up my silverado and dont that to go through that again (was even a pro shop, not a best buy geek). But is there any reason why we cant get a gps and shaker 1000? Thanks for yalls help.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:07 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

Funny that you mention that. I had a shaker 1000 and replaced the head unit with a stock ford gps. In turn my subwoofer stopped working in the trunk. The guy that sold the Nav unit said I could pull it and connect two different lines of pin connections in the back of the unit. Haven't done it yet but I will get back to the forum when I do. My first mustang (dealer totaled it on a test ride) had shaker 500. It sucked. The 1000 is great. But worth the money? Not sure.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:07 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Hey Rollin Thunder,

I'll try to help, as nav/SYNC is squarely what I work on.

Based on your post, you know that the Next-Generation Navigation (NGN) system is integrated with the 500-watt Shaker 500 Audio Control Module (ACM). So you'll get better sound performance than if you were to get a 'normal' ACM that comes with other vehicles.

The real value, in my opinion, of NGN is access to Sirius Travel Link. We developed a sweet (but I'm biased) interface--both visual/touch AND voice command--for the whole system, to interact with Travel Link, SYNC, Nav, the vehicle's climate control, and even the radio. You can even tune your radio by voice, or say a command like "Radio preset 3" and your 'stang will do it. You can also set temperature, go to a saved point, or get fuel prices, movie listings, sports scores, traffic, location-based business search, weather (including real-time radar), and about a bazillion other things through voice. It certainly expands on what is available with the standalone SYNC (though that's about to change...). You can also play DVDs on it (while in Park--if you shift into gear, the audio continues, but the screen cuts out and goes to something less-distracting).

Now I don't mean to sound like a salesperson here, so let me take a step back. (I apologize--it's hard for me not to get excited about what I work on). The thing that kinda sucks about OEM radio heads now (including the radio head that is on the non-NGN mustangs) is that for MY2010 it's not modular anymore, meaning it's not a 'brick' that has the ACM, control surface, display, and other 'guts' all in one unit (fakesnake, I'm guessing that's what you had when you replaced your unit). The new radio head, referred to internally as a CID Type 1 for non-NGN (ACM Type 6/DM8 for NGN), has a display, control surface (buttons), amplifiers, and ACM that are separated from each other, placed throughout the dash and center-stack area, and connected by a wiring harness. That makes aftermarket mods to the audio control system hard. Given that, if you want the 1000 watts, you might fare best getting the Shaker 1000 and forgoing the NGN (as much as it kills me to say that). However, if you want cool (and I mean it's DAMN cool), go with the NGN.

I will also say that from other forums I've looked at, some people tend to like the Shaker 500 system

says one person on StangNet:
Don't know, but this is the first car I have ever owned that I didn't want to replace the stereo first thing.
1) Nobody is gonna sit in that excuse of a backseat.
2) The frt. subs are alright
3)Upgrade the subs if u must in the doors(direct replacements are available).

But even if you go with the Shaker 1000, you'll get the standalone SYNC system (phone and iPod/MP3 player voice control, USB recharging, vehicle health report, 911 Assist, and soon-to-be-released Traffic, Directions, and Information, which you'll be able to upgrade to.) So not getting NGN doesn't leave you high and dry. I should also add that the Shaker 1000 also adds another 12-in sub in the trunk/rear deck area, I believe.

In any case, I'll end my, uh, novel, here for now. But if you have any more questions, I'd be more than happy to help answer them. If you want more information on Sirius Travel Link, check out http://www.sirius.com/travellink. You can get info on SYNC at http://www.syncmyride.com. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any Ford sites comparing the Shaker 500 and 1000 systems, or giving specs, and I'll get in heaps of trouble if I post any of the material in the docs I have.

Last edited by FordEngineer; 05-05-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

I have the factory nav from the 2006-2008. I love it. It may not be able to play HD movies while I drive or glow pretty colors from ***** and buttons, but it's never steered me wrong, and it fills in the front console area spectacularly.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the great info. I have a traffic thing through Xm on my yukon and all that stuff and rarely use it. Sync is so new to me its not even funny. If its really that hard to change out the system and the guys that installed my system, screwed up a 5 year old pickup trucks computer then I best not risk it. The sync that comes with the shaker 1000 sounds pretty damn cool and more than I have ever had. But I will miss that screen. I think I need to hear them both and hopefully will testdrive this weekend. Part of me wants the cool features of the screen, and the other part wants the most powerful system there is. Dang hard choices here.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:44 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

I understand completely. Best of luck in your decision, and if there's any info you need, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordEngineer
I understand completely. Best of luck in your decision, and if there's any info you need, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
just curious. DO you know the reason why you cant get both???? With all the multimedia you would think you would want the biggest system they have.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

I do not know the reason for the business decision to only pair the NGN with the Shaker 500. I might guess the following, though (but these are only guesses):

1.) NGN is expensive. Shaker 1000 is expensive. To put them together might have been cost prohibitive for a lot of people. They might have figured that the best way to get the feature-rich NGN into the most hands (affordably) while providing decent sound was to pair it with a 'good' system (not the most powerful one offered, but better than the stock ACM in most vehicles).

2.) Many audiophiles who get the Shaker 1000 might the types who try to mod the head unit/display/controls, regardless of what comes stock. (not saying all--please don't take offense). Because Ford doesn't want to force people to mess with the ACM Type 6/DM8 display, and all the associated modules, processors, harnesses, and components behind the dash (more than the CID type 1, for non-NGN vehicles), they put the Shaker 1000 system with the 'simpler' control system, for those who are going to take it apart anyway.

3.) Many people who bring their own media into the vehicle have MP3s that were recorded at not-so-great bitrates. This sounds fine on computer speakers, and might be a little noticeable on the 500, but would be blatantly noticeable on the 1000. In order to head off the "this system sucks, my MP3's sound like crap at high volume" responses that would inevitably follow, it might have been decided to pair the mid-range audio system with the most multimedia-intense control system.

Again, just guesses. I wasn't at the meeting where that decision was made. In addition, with the personnel reductions that have been going on over here (it was layoff central a little while back), I wouldn't be surprised if there just wasn't enough engineers available to meld all the systems (with all the testing, calibration, and quality assurance testing that requires), so decisions had to be made as to what would get paired with what.

I'll make mention of the demand for NGN paired with the S1000 ACM. Not that I carry a ton of influence, but it couldn't hurt to mention it.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:58 AM
heartinacage
3rd Gear Member

Personally, i'd go with the GPS. I'd get more use from it. If I ordered my Mustang when i got it, I would've got that as one of the options.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:39 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by heartinacage
Personally, i'd go with the GPS. I'd get more use from it. If I ordered my Mustang when i got it, I would've got that as one of the options.
I agree 100%.....

Quick Reply: gps vs shaker 1000