Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solutions for throttle lag?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:24 AM
gatkins94
2nd Gear Member

There's also a post a while back on an adjustment to the THROTTLE itself. When I bought mine the lag was so bad I could barely drive the car but after I took the pedal out and adjusted the brushes so they actually started on the metal portion of the accuator a lot of that went away.....and yes a Tuner will help too!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

You could buy a tuner alone and order tunes (I believe bamachips makes tunes for diablo, 3 for $185). that would be $385. or buy a new one like an SCT x3, preloaded with 3 tunes from a tuner for around $375, or new diablo from bama for 399 (which might be a better model than the one for sale)

Or order a new intake+tuner+tunes package for $550-600 and pick up an extra 10-20rwhp while you are at it.

And like everyone else said.. this will be the biggest change for throttle response out of anything else you could do.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

If i bought a tuner now and ordered a tune from bama or brenspeed, then later get CAI, UDPs, LTs and so on, will i have to buy a new tune for reach time i add something or would they change it for me since ive already bought a tune? Thats my main concern. I plan on a CAI and alot of other mods but its going to be a slow process.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:25 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

With Bama, Doug will update your tune for new mods for free. Brenspeed will only do that if you buy the part from them.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

The solution: Preload the throttle with spacers. I JB Welded 2 washers on the throttle where it comes up and rests against the stop. It now has about 3/4 of the travel as it did. The lag is gone. I breathe on my pedal and the RPMS jump instantly! Really beats the hell out of taking it apart and bending the brushes! Just get a light and look at where the throttle rests at the module. With the car warm and at regular idle, push down on the throttle and see how big of a gap is created before the rpms move. Simply fill in the gap with spacers. The puter will read it as the starting point.

Last edited by Lifter583; 05-13-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:57 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lifter583
The solution: Preload the throttle with spacers. I JB Welded 2 washers on the throttle where it comes up and rests against the stop. It now has about 3/4 of the travel as it did. The lag is gone. I breathe on my pedal and the RPMS jump instantly! Really beats the hell out of taking it apart and bending the brushes! Just get a light and look at where the throttle rests at the module. With the car warm and at regular idle, push down on the throttle and see how big of a gap is created before the rpms move. Simply fill in the gap with spacers. The puter will read it as the starting point.
Gonna have to try this sometime.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Ill look into it, but the problem still occurs at WOT when its from a stand still.

The throttle reset helped a good bit!
Way more responsive and launches a bit harder from a dig. Not sure how long it will last though.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:45 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The throttle reset itself should remain, as that is what tells the PCM where the zero throttle and WOT pedal positions are. Any 'learning' on the part of the PCM may still change the response in between based on the way the car is driven, but that shouldn't affect the endpoints. IOW, throttle response could conceivably slow down over time, but it should not pick up a "dead range" of pedal motion where nothing at all happens.

Norm
Old 05-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation

Pics or it didn't happen!
Old 05-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hicompression
Pics or it didn't happen!
LOL at the pics, it will take u only a sec to see what I am talking about. Getting a picure under there..pain in the ***... trust me guys you will be amazed how different it feels. Gets rid of "the dead range" as Norm so well decribes it.

Last edited by Lifter583; 05-14-2009 at 03:04 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Solutions for throttle lag?