Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baseline Dyno done in by Murphy's Law

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 02:41 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Baseline Dyno done in by Murphy's Law

ORIGINAL: 05SonicBlue

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

Don, I'm wondering if you're planning a run with the tune but with the stock intake (without the CAI)? One thing I've been wondering whenever I see the HP gains posted for CAIs is how much of the gain is just because of the tune.

this is exactly what i've been wondering: what is the effect of a tune and nothing else? no exhaust mods, no CAI, no pullies, no vapor trap removal, etc. just a reflash on an otherwise stock car
The only dyno I plan on doing is with the CAI and the correct C&L tune. But not till next week.

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4

It sounds to me like the timing in the Diablo performance tune was too low. Timing will have a much greater effect on your hp than the a/f ratio. About the only way I could see the hp # being that much lower is if the timing was less. There could be some other factors, but I feel that the timing is the issue.
b-man... any idea how that might have happened?
Old 06-30-2005, 02:46 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

I could be a few different factors. Try and find out how much total timing the Diablo performance tune is running. One possibility is the Diablo chip was programmed with a 'blower' timing tune, which would have had considerably less timing than a tune for n/a. Try and find out how much total timing the diablo program is using right now. You should be able to run around 28 degrees of total timing on good gas.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:18 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Thanks for the feedback. I'm out of San Diego until next week, so I won't be able to check anything until then. I now have the proper C&L-specific tune on the car again, so I don't know if I will put the "wrong" tune back in to test it out.. so this may stay a mystery (to me anyway). The day after I get back (7/6/05), I'll be able to see new dyno numbers with the correct tune.