Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had Accident: Need Advice Dealing with Insurance companies please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
don't be afraid to call the other company and tell them you want them to pay, infact my own insurance company recommended that it shows you are not taking fault.
Now I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see why the other driver's insurance company is required to deal with you or why you should even contact them. I think that their contract is with their policyholder. Let's say your insurance company pays for your damage except for the deductible, and says they don't want to pursue the matter any further. I think your cause of action would be against the other driver, but not against the other driver's insurance company.

If you telephone the other insurance company, there is a good chance that your call will be monitored or recorded. This could come back and bite you.

If you need to make a demand for payment of your deductible from the other driver, check with your insurance company. They may be able to help you with the procedure you need to follow.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Pretty much everything I say has already been said.

1) Talk to your insurance co and find out what they plan to do. Chances are that they are going to go after the other insurance co. But you need to have that conversation to make sure that it happens.

2) If your insurance co doesn't do anything. You will have to claim against the other drivers insurance co.

As for no police reports, it's almost normal nowadays that police won't do a report at the scene if there were no injuries. I worked in rental for 3 years and if I had a dollar for every time a customer came in and told me that the police didn't do a report because there were no injuries, I'd be a rich man.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:55 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
If you telephone the other insurance company, there is a good chance that your call will be monitored or recorded. This could come back and bite you.
if your telling the truth it should not bite you, lets not forget insurance companies are what supports me and my family, when my wife wrecked they told me call the other guys insurance if you feel it was their fault and file with them, by not calling them this can be seen as accepting fault, that is what my insurance company told me.

a lady backed into my truck a couple years back at the post office, there was no police report, I just took pics on my cell phone, got her insurance info and called them and reported the claim, I sent them an estimate, they said they would pay the company that did the repairs, I told them no I wanted the money, so they sent me a check within a week.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:09 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
if your telling the truth it should not bite you, lets not forget insurance companies are what supports me and my family, when my wife wrecked they told me call the other guys insurance if you feel it was their fault and file with them, by not calling them this can be seen as accepting fault, that is what my insurance company told me.

a lady backed into my truck a couple years back at the post office, there was no police report, I just took pics on my cell phone, got her insurance info and called them and reported the claim, I sent them an estimate, they said they would pay the company that did the repairs, I told them no I wanted the money, so they sent me a check within a week.
This was my thought process too. I called her company directly. Then all of a sudden my insurance company calls me out of nowhere....kinda took me by surprise.

I think I'm going to get a independent estimate or two tomorrow...and not wait for these people.