Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how common were the leaking problems??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:24 AM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HypromanGT
I think probably a fair amount of these cars may have some variation of this leak problem and their owners will never know it. I would bet that a large percentage of these cars probably rarely see heavy rain, are garage queens, sunny day driven, etc, and as stated it's not something that is easily recognizable unless you're actively looking.
Exactly. If you check the older threads on the subject, you'll see that a lot of members posted that they don't have the leak, only to re-post a few days later after a rain storm or car wash that it turns out they do have the leak.

There's no doubt that this problem is way under-reported. In addition to the reasons that HypromanGT stated, consider how many Mustang owners aren't members of an online forum and might never be warned to check for this problem. Consider also how many times the symptoms are being misdiagnosed; it took three different trips to the dealership to discover that it was a wet SJB that was causing all my electronic problems. There are members with stories that the rug was wet when they bought their cars; they were told by the dealership that the windows were accidentally left open.

Barring a full recall from Ford, which at this point doesn't seem likely, to me this issue is serious enough, and common enough, that every S197 owner should check if it's something that needs to be addressed with their car.