Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual . shifting question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 02:22 PM
05redfirepearlGT
1st Gear Member

Practice, Practice, Practice. I grew up on straight shifts. Even drove a three speed column shift (gone like the dinasaur these days). My first four cars were sticks. Then I got a couple of automatics. The next straight shift I got I had to re-learn smooth shifting all over again. It takes time and patience. I applaud you buying a straight shift in today's age of automatics, autoshifts, and so forth. Just keep practicing. Another factor is that all cars shift and drive differently. Being profficient in one model does not make you a master of all. Each has a personality of their own, even within the models.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:36 PM
overcome1236
2nd Gear Member

Yea lol thanks .. I think it might be that I just don't shift quick enough from 1-2 ... And the rpms drop to much but that's only if I'm going fast if I'm going slow it's no problem ...
Old 06-21-2009, 04:10 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

What about 2nd to 3rd gear grinds at WOT? Can that be a torque thing?

1-2 is fine on my car but 2-3 can be annoying, having to wait for the RPMs to come down before it actually goes in.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:13 PM
overcome1236
2nd Gear Member

idk much tho my friend tells me im really good for a beginner and it will come with time... i just wanna get out of first gear quicker be a little more smoother and shift better when im going fast... lol basically all the good stuff
Old 06-21-2009, 06:35 PM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

these things are a pain in the butt 1st to 2nd. You can get them to go smoothe but it will never shift like a Honda. You can shift at low speed say 5mph and it will go smoothe or bring it up to 4k rpm for 1st to 2nd and that should help as well. if you are trying the whole hypermiling thing, 1st to 2nd tends to be bucky.

I've driven mechanical clutches and have been driving manny tranny for almost 2 million miles, yes folks, that's 2 million miles and the mustang is one of the least forgiving I've ever owned. maybe it's just Ford because an F100 (years ago) was tough too.

You'll get to know the nuances of your car. It takes time

cheers
Old 06-21-2009, 06:54 PM
overcome1236
2nd Gear Member

alright just wanted to make sure it wasnt just me
Old 06-22-2009, 01:37 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by JDWalton
I like the limiters just cause I like the appeal of the extra brace. Also, the reinforcement comes near the shifter so there is less flex closer to the position you need it.

http://www.brenspeed.com/che7la.html

Also, to the OP. Do you have some you trust that has driven standard a lot and you can go for a ride with them? Someone that will just drive it and not beat on it so you can see clearly if it is your driving or if it is something flexing more then you want. That would be a easy way to see what it is. Also you can pick there brain about what specifically your doing wrong (if anything.) Hard to critique your driving over the interned.
Originally Posted by deekum1627
i like the che k-member with tq limiters
Agreed!.... I would try the CHE K member brace and TQ limiters. Easy install!
Old 06-22-2009, 02:40 AM
overcome1236
2nd Gear Member

hows the install on that?
Old 06-22-2009, 07:19 AM
abecker

It's probably not the car (well maybe if you do the mod it could be a little better).

I've been learning stick the last few months on my GT and I have the same problem, shifting from 1-2 isn't as smoothe as you'd expect it to be. Everything above that is fine.

If I really pay attention to how I'm doing it I'll be smoothe, but when you're making a turn or coming off a light you can't always be exact.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:07 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by overcome1236
Yea lol thanks .. I think it might be that I just don't shift quick enough from 1-2 ... And the rpms drop to much but that's only if I'm going fast if I'm going slow it's no problem ...

When you say it's not smooth....

Is the act of moving the shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear not easy?
or
Does the car jerk when you get into 2nd car and start going again?

I am 100% positive the RPM isn't dropping too much because these cars drop RPM so slowly. In addition, the RPM difference between 1st and 2nd is pretty large.

Shifting fast is not going to be smooth. I can drive my car smooth as an automatic, but only when shifting slow.

Quick Reply: manual . shifting question