Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any worthwhile differences in CAI inlet tube options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Super D
1st Gear Member

Default Any worthwhile differences in CAI inlet tube options?

I have a Steeda CAI, but still have the OE inlet tube.

Any real difference between options available for a better tube? If it's better than the Steeda and fits, I don't mind mixing brands.

Any thoughts on which tube has the best flow for the dough?

I know, I know...if there's any performance difference it'll be minimal. I hear that. Just that if I'm going to spend a dollar, might as well choose whatever best way the dollar should be spent.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:38 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

So you basically just have the cone filter and the heat shield? And you're missing the elbow?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Super D
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by yc420
So you basically just have the cone filter and the heat shield? And you're missing the elbow?
Yep, you can buy the CAI without the inlet elbow (which I didn't know), so I bought it and am using stock inlet tube. Now want the higher flow tube, and am trying to find out if I should get the Steeda one or another if there's a better flowing one.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:48 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Super D
Yep, you can buy the CAI without the inlet elbow (which I didn't know), so I bought it and am using stock inlet tube. Now want the higher flow tube, and am trying to find out if I should get the Steeda one or another if there's a better flowing one.
Well I can't speak about the Steeda filter with the stock elbow because I've never ran that combination but the way I look it at is this way: If the elbow size doesn't change and only the filter size changes then how much MORE air is really being allowed into the engine? Also, metal retains more heat (the last thing you want in your inlet tube to your motor) but it does look better. I'd sacrifice looks under the hood and go with a plastic elbow. Preferably the one made for your filter (Steeda). Now, I'm pretty sure the Steeda elbow is thicker or bigger in size than the stock one. If you want to retain looks under the hood without sacrificing performance then go for the carbon fiber elbow which looks amazing IMO. I don't know if all I wrote it 100% true, I am no technician BUT it sounds logical and this is basically what I've learned from searching through posts and research. Another thing I'm not sure about is the metal retaining more heat. Yes it retains more heat but I don't know how that will affect you performance wise, if any at all.

Good luck,
yc420
Old 07-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Super D
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by yc420
Well I can't speak about the Steeda filter with the stock elbow because I've never ran that combination but the way I look it at is this way: If the elbow size doesn't change and only the filter size changes then how much MORE air is really being allowed into the engine? Also, metal retains more heat ...
The opening sizes may not change, but the interior shape, volume and surface qualities from stock to aftermarket in the inlet tube are different. I just haven't compared the options. Thinking of it like a head or manifold, it's not really the entrance exit size that matters, it's how flow is managed. That can make a recognizable difference, even if it's small. In this case it may in face be VERY small, but that's okay, I don't have a lot left to do on this car, so it's kinda fun to learn about each little part and see which is best.

Both the OE and Steeda inlet tubes are plastic (except for the CF option which costs twice as much). Not sure about all the others, and which would fit my Steeda CAI. It's be interesting to see test data comparing stock, plastic and CF tubes from Steeda. And then different shapes and materials from multiple makers. You never know when you're going to need that extra tenth of a horsepower.

I won't put much time into this, it's not a big expense and the power differences are most likely really minute. Just was curious to see if anyone knows if any of the tubes flow better than others.

Last edited by Super D; 07-18-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:18 AM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

I tried stock vs Saleen extreme tubes with the Steeda CAI and there was a difference in sound, Saleen a bit louder, but my butt dyno couldn't really feel any difference. I'd say save your money.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Super D
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sycd
I tried stock vs Saleen extreme tubes with the Steeda CAI and there was a difference in sound, Saleen a bit louder, but my butt dyno couldn't really feel any difference. I'd say save your money.
You have a butt dyno? Do you have a shween torque wrench too?