Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I feel like a moron, install help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Zeio
1st Gear Member

Default I feel like a moron, install help please

Hey guys, so I was all excited about my new bassani axle backs I got and I started to work on them about an hour ago, and ran into a slight snag, or maybe I am just stupid or missing something obvious.

I transferred the rubber hangers from the stock mufflers to the bassanis, and then tried to connect the pipe from the bassani to the outlet pipe of my stock exhaust, but can't see how I can both align the holes of the hangers for the fasteners and connect the muffler to the stock pipe as well. It just isn't working.. the angle, etc nothing lines up once i connect the pipe to the stock pipe. I did notice on the stock muffler and stock pipe there is a small screw which slides in a slot no problem on the stock muffler, but the slots i have on my bassani seem too thin. Right now I am only able to connect about 2 inches of pipe, even though the bassanis muffler pipe is a good amt longer than the stocks

(see pic1)

(stock outlet pipe to connect to muffler, notice small screw that prevents me from sliding the bassanis pipe up further)

(bassanis pipe with slots, although they are too thin to slide over screw on stock pipe)

I hope someone can help me or point me int he right direction fairly soon. Right now my car is sitting in the garage waiting to be worked on. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:33 PM
Robs05gtvert
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: I feel like a moron, install help please

I installed my Bassani 2 weeks ago and ran into the same problem. What I did was notch out the Bassani pipe to accept the "prong" on the stock pipes. This helped me line everything up easily. Good luck..you will love them
Old 07-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Zeio
1st Gear Member

Thanks man, I was trying EVERYTHING because I thought I was just being stupid and overlooking something, but I wasn't sure if I needed to make the notch bigger myself and didn't want to screw somethin up worse.

Any tips for increasing the size of the notch fairly easily? I have some ideas, just curious what you did. Thanks again
Old 07-02-2005, 10:40 PM
SCstanger
1st Gear Member

I dont have the Bassani's but I do have the Mac axle back system..I installed em myself in the length of about two hours ..this was without a jack and a few simple hand tools .Getting the pipe to line up and the hangers to slide into place can be quite a chore..I believe the slots on the Bassani's are not for sliding over the screws but rather a little slack in order to slide easily over the stock exhaust. When the clamps that should have been sent with the new system are applied and tightened then the slots should allow the new pipe to tighten around the old...Getting everything to line up, from the old pipe to new, to the hangers all at the same time is quite a chore and takes some patience...good luck and take ten deep breaths ..calmness helps ..lol ..
Old 07-03-2005, 12:27 AM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

I have Magnaflows and also had to make another notch in the muffler pipe to make the muffler fit I also loosened up the mid pipes to fine adjust the muffler.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:00 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

SLP PowerFlos went on in less than 45 minutes with no modifications needed... FWIW.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:05 AM
Zeio
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I just finished installing them and they are FRIGGIN AWESOME!! The sound at idle is a great deep rumble, and when I rev, my god.. these things are loud as hell. I love them though, they are sweeet.

Ok enough of the excitement.. Basically I started over from scratch with the hangers and clamps and tried to slow down and be patiet. I took my time to get those damn rubber hangers aligned just right and I used some of that anti seize lube and pushed the pipe as far up as it could go until it hit the screw and then tightened the clamp until it wouldnt budge.

This was a pretty tough job for one person, at least for me it was.. damn those stock mufflers are heavy as a ****. A lot of work and patience helped get the job done, and now its time to go drivin!!

Thanks again guys.