Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

additional things for long tubes install?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 11:48 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigray327
Gloves and Prozac.

LOL! That is so true.

I bought a Kooks package from Brenspeed that had everything. Bolts, gasket, O2 extension, etc. I didn't want to worry about what all I needed.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:56 PM
jlugo_70
1st Gear Member

quick question. are new motor mounts really necessary? cuz i just saw that 4.10 gears are on special for the same price and would rather buy that. were is the best place to new stock header gaskets? the dealership?
Old 07-25-2009, 10:12 AM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jlugo_70
quick question. are new motor mounts really necessary? cuz i just saw that 4.10 gears are on special for the same price and would rather buy that. were is the best place to new stock header gaskets? the dealership?
They are not absolutely necessary. Just tightens the feel of the car, nothing more. But if you actually look at them and compare to the prothanes you would really want to change it.

If you're on a tight budget, I'd say go with the 4.10's.

Regarding the gaskets, reuse the stock ones, no need for new ones.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:39 AM
GA05GT
2nd Gear Member

Well he stated he is getting the JBA's they recommend you to change your mounts out. I changed mine out during header install, since I had to take them out anyway....

Good Luck.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:27 PM
jlugo_70
1st Gear Member

which o2 sensors do you guys recommend?i´ve heard that the ones from american muscle arent long enough
Old 07-25-2009, 06:57 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

The only O2 sensors you can use are the ones that came on the car. You're probably talking about O2 extensions - these are like extensions cords in your house, except they're for O2 sensors.

Only one company manufactures Mustang O2 sensor extensions. So no need to worry about where you get them - they're all the same.

You need a ratcheting, angling box-end wrench like this.

Make sure it fits your headers bolts. My headers bolts were 8mm. Notice the wrench in the picture is 10mm. DAMMIT.

This tool will take hours off your install time.

You will also need various extensions and angle pieces for an ordinary ratchet (socket) wrench which you'll use to unbolt motor mounts and possibly a starter and/or a/c compressor if you find that those are in your way.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:24 PM
GA05GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jlugo_70
which o2 sensors do you guys recommend?i´ve heard that the ones from american muscle arent long enough
It really depends if you have a auto or manual trans, the manual trans only requires (2) o2 extenders. There is enough slack to pull I think it was the rear 2 to its location at least for my kooks LT's. Just make sure your zip-tie them away from the headers.

You can search about LT installs on this forum, there is a lot of good info. stated there...
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...tall-tips.html

Good luck

Last edited by GA05GT; 07-25-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:09 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GA05GT
It really depends if you have a auto or manual trans, the manual trans only requires (2) o2 extenders. There is enough slack to pull I think it was the rear 2 to its location at least for my kooks LT's. Just make sure your zip-tie them away from the headers.

You can search about LT installs on this forum, there is a lot of good info. stated there...
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...tall-tips.html

Good luck
You had enough slack to work with your Kooks because Kooks makes the shortest longtube headers on the market. Some call them mid-length headers.

Any other brand LT's and you need 4 extensions.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:47 PM
jlugo_70
1st Gear Member

alright, i ordered 4.10 gears, jba off road h-pipe and sensor extensions from american muscle and the hurst short throw shifter from brenspeed. hopefully all get everything installed in about two weeks
Old 08-12-2009, 06:32 PM
jlugo_70
1st Gear Member

ok so got a quote on the install for the headers. the thing that caught my attention was that he mentioned that the stock bolts that go on the exhaust manifolds could break when taking them off. i do have new bolts for the jba headers is this true? specially with a newer car? my mustang is 2007 with 26k miles

Quick Reply: additional things for long tubes install?