Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need pictures of lowered convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Misbehavin
2nd Gear Member

These should show you what mine looks like down.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:25 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

The top is not down enough, that is what my 05 vert looks like if i don't hold the button long enough. My stock top has no wrinkles at all. Looks like they need to adjust it.

OT- I know there was a service bulletin, the name for them escapes me now, for the top on early 05's with the booms wearing holes near booms 3 and 4 on the back quarter. I am the second owner of my car and the original owner didn't get the top replaced under warranty. The tool actually tried to melt the vinyl back together and it looks bad (before you ask i got a good deal so i bought the car knowing it needs a top and not realizing there was a service advisory about the issue). My question is has anyone had the top replaced on Ford's dime after a warranty expired. the tear is obviously from the issue in the bulletin.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

It looks like they didn't bother "training" the top at all. They're supposed to manually guide the folds in the top the first few times they open it so the top folds down properly. It looks like they didn't bother doing this, so your top is bunching up all over the place, keeping it from folding it down all the way.

Also, those wrinkles in the first pic shouldn't be there. If the top is all the way up and locked in that pic, then they installed it wrong and it should be fixed. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:25 AM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

scary. was that an after market top or a factory top? Was this a dealer that installed it?

Here's my cloth top.
Attached Thumbnails Need pictures of lowered convertible top-mustang07x002.jpg   Need pictures of lowered convertible top-mustang07x003.jpg   Need pictures of lowered convertible top-mustang07x006.jpg   Need pictures of lowered convertible top-mustang07x007.jpg  
Old 07-25-2009, 06:36 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Can you guys post an original top and the common wear points? I think I may try to avoid it by somehow reinforcing or putting some type of guard on it. I've but a 05 with 25K on it and I put the top down every chance I get.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:31 AM
Misbehavin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
Can you guys post an original top and the common wear points? I think I may try to avoid it by somehow reinforcing or putting some type of guard on it. I've but a 05 with 25K on it and I put the top down every chance I get.
I haven't really seen any wear on mine. Some of the stitching had started to disappear over time though. When the dealership replaced the top cables they replaced the stitching as well.

As far as the TSB mentioned above, if anyone is looking for that reference number, it's TSB 07-19-1. I haven't had the issue described in the TSB, but I think the previous owner had this addressed on mine. So I can't really tell you what to look for. There was an old thread around here that discussed it at one time though. It's supposed to only affects cars built before Oct 2006 from my understanding.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:16 AM
roadracer516
1st Gear Member

That does not look right at all. Looks real sloppy and not lowered enough. Sorry for your pain!

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/IMG_2459.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/IMG_2458.jpg

Could you even put on this tonneau cover? That would prove something is wrong?

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...gsig2small.jpg
Old 07-25-2009, 12:38 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

That top should go down a tad more.

The wrinkles though, I'm affraid, are just the fact that you have a Mustang being a Mustang.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
That top should go down a tad more.

The wrinkles though, I'm affraid, are just the fact that you have a Mustang being a Mustang.

The top should definitely go down a litle more, and wrinkles will happen on any convertible. But that wrinkle on the left quarter is a result of bad installation. It wasn't pulled tight enough during the install. Take it back and make them fix it.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:55 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Charlie321
The top should definitely go down a litle more, and wrinkles will happen on any convertible. But that wrinkle on the left quarter is a result of bad installation. It wasn't pulled tight enough during the install. Take it back and make them fix it.
Thats a bad top install and they should junk it and start with a new top.
Its not going down far enough and the material should have been trained.
Sub par installation. There should be ZERO wrinkles.
Did Ford do this or some yahoo at a top shop?
Stop payment on that check asap.

Maybe they need this....
Or this....

Last edited by 157dB; 07-25-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Need pictures of lowered convertible top