Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! O/D Light Flashing, Automatic Tranny isn't Shifting Correctly.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:32 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Angry HELP! O/D Light Flashing, Automatic Tranny isn't Shifting Correctly.

I have an 07 GT automatic with 28k miles. It has an intake, 4.10 gears and Bamachips tunes.

In the last few weeks, I had begun worrying about how hard the tranny shifts with the Bama Race tune, so a few minutes ago I loaded in the 93 torque tune so it doesn't shift so hard for daily driving. I went to test out the tune and went WOT once, just to see how it was. Ironically, About 5 minutes later, I was driving at slow neighborhood speeds and I noticed the car wasn't shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Around 2.5, 3k rpm's and the car wouldn't shift. I let my foot off the gas and it jerked into 3rd violently. I immediately turned around and began driving home, but it kept doing the same thing. Even when in the right gear, the gas pedal felt mushy. I got home and immediately loaded the race tune back in, in hopes that it was just the tune. I googled the o/d light flashing and it seems that it means there is something seriously wrong with the tranny, so now I'm too scared to drive it. Has anyone else had this problem, or any Ford mechanics out there know what this is?

Also, is there anyway I can run the stock tune with 4.10 gears? It needs to be returned to stock-as-possible before I take it to the dealer. I have no money to replace a trans right now! Keep in mind it only has 28k miles, so if it was stock, I'd be under warranty. I pray to God the dealer won't void my warranty for gears, though I'm sure they will.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

All you need to do is reload the stock tune and go in and change the gear ratio or final drive ratio (depending on the tuner).
Old 07-29-2009, 01:15 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Sounds like something may be slipping or not fully engaging. Seems to me that it's not the tune.

If the transmission failed because of the tune, it would be hard to blame it on the gears. The final gear ratio wouldn't cause the transmission to fail- it's job is to turn the differential, axles and wheels. The slight increase in engine and transmission RPM will not cause it to fail.

A quick thing to check is the color of your transmission fluid- is it red or purple?
Old 07-29-2009, 02:06 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

****! Does anyone know how to change the gear ratio when returning to the stock tune? I'm using the SCT SF3 and it didn't ask me to adjust options when I was returning to stock, so now the car thinks I have 3.31 gears in the rear... but I can't have a hard-shifting tune in when I go to the dealership and complain about my transmission.
I am sooo screwed.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

OP, sell your car man lol j/k...Sure it can be the tune. Not saying it is, but it's possible. I had the exact same problem, shortly thereafter my trans failed and I had to rebuild. There are a number of reasons why that could be happening, just take it in and have it looked at before it's too late.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:19 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleep Deprived
I had the exact same problem, shortly thereafter my trans failed and I had to rebuild.
How much did the rebuild cost?
Old 07-29-2009, 02:42 PM
bossman15
1st Gear Member

Could be a speed sensor gone bad in the trans. Had one go bad on my old car, would not let the car shift out of 1st gear, maybe 2nd, cant remember. But it ended up being a $60 fix......Good luck
Old 07-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

Well, you'll probably be looking at a couple grand for a rebuild. My problem turned out to be a broken input shaft (funny thing, I'm N/A and putting out nowhere near the power it should take to break these things). When that went it took my torque converter out with it, so I had to drop $900 on a new converter (lol ok I didn't have to, you can buy another stocker if that turns out to be the case). I bought all the parts and took it to a buddy who's a trans tech at Ford, who did the rebuild for $500 labor. It ended up costing me about $2k.

I was in the same boat as you, it was a bad time for me, just paid off all my credit cards and everything and then BAM, I'm 2k in the hole again. It sucks man, I don't trust this transmission at all. If it ever fails again (it seems like it's headed that way) then I'm going with the 4R70W. I know of a few other people who have had a ton of problems with the 5R55S (sevenleaf comes to mind; broke his trans 4x before he finally got fed up and bought a Cobra).

I think my mistake was taking it back to Ford for the rebuild...but oh well not much I can do about it now. What I'm doing now (and what you should do too) it getting a dyno tune and going to a REAL trans shop. I stopped by RET over the weekend to do a baseline dyno pull and am going back tomorrow for the dyno tune. After getting it on the dyno it's pretty apparent my Bama tune was screwed up. Greg (@ RET) adjusted the shift pressure for me and the thing shifts so damn smooth now! The Bama tune was shifting HARD because the shift pressure was set so damn high. Also, I spoke with Tony @ Larry's Transmissions about my transmission problems yesterday and I'll be going in on Monday so he can take a look at it. So hopefully I'll have some more answers in a few days, but as of now nobody seems to know why these problems have been occuring. There are a number of possible reasons, but nobody has been able to pinpoint it yet. Hopefully Tony can.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:09 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Wow thanks a bunch for all of that info! I can also say that now, I hate this transmission. It doesn't matter if I raced it over and over with a Race tune, a transmission should not be having problems at 28k miles. I don't know how I'm going to convince Ford to fix this under warranty since I have 4.10's and I can't seem to run the stock tune with the 4.10's. I called Bamachips earlier and Doug's assistant picked up the phone, but said he had never heard of my problem and Doug was with someone, so I'm waiting for him to call back. I wish money wasn't such an issue here, or I'd just drop 6 grand and get a GT500 6 speed put in, but money is a big issue right now.

Last edited by 07BLACKGT; 12-07-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

I gave up on Bama a long time ago. It was becoming nearly impossible to get a response from them. I've always heard nothing but great things about Bama, but idk what is going on lately because quite a few people on various boards seem to be upset with them. I know a lot of that was attributed to their move and internet problems and everything, but how long is that really gonna go on for? Anyway, who did you speak to? Matt? Caleb? Just tell them your shifts are too firm and have them do something about your shift pressure, I'm sure either of them could do that for you. Also, I'd take the car in to a good, reputable transmission shop (someone who is familiar with these transmissions) and have them take a look at it.

Quick Reply: HELP! O/D Light Flashing, Automatic Tranny isn't Shifting Correctly.