Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up GT but got problems...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 04:58 PM
GT_n00b
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jocatch
Well, I brought the car to the Ford dealer to look at the 4 problems I was having:

1. headlights aimmed at the ground - the tec said he tried to adjust them but because it was daylight out he wasn't sure how well he did (!). Huh? Don't they have a headlight machine they drive the car onto to check?

2. rearview mirror is not dimming - they said the mirror is defective and ordered a new one.

3. power steering not working one time - they checked but could not find anything wrong.

4. Shaker 500 noise problem - not sure if they looked at it, no comments from them.

So far I am not impressed with Ford service.

Joe
Not impressed?

1. They worked on your issue and had no way of verifying until such a time required headlights.
2. They fixed your issue by ordering you a new one.
3. You aren't able to replicate the issue and they didn't find anything wrong.
4. Its your own fault you did not get verification from them that they checked out the issue.

What is there not to be impressed about? They did exactly what was required of them from what you told/showed them.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

1. headlights aimmed at the ground - the tec said he tried to adjust them but because it was daylight out he wasn't sure how well he did (!). Huh? Don't they have a headlight machine they drive the car onto to check?
Joe, it seems as though the dealer you went to was using screen method aiming. You need to find a shop that uses photometric aiming. This device is generally located from 12 inches to 40 inches in front of the headlights. It ain't a cheap piece of equipment--probably about $1500 for the photometric aiming device.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:51 AM
Commander Bubbles
2nd Gear Member

Just aim the lights up..if cops don't pull you over and you can see fine- you're good. If they do, tell them you didn't know and it's a new car, blah, blah. Should usually take around 5-30 mins to fix. Depends on the car- I'm not at all familiar with these stangs.

If they can't replicate the issue about the PS, really pay attention the next time it happens. If it happened once, it will likely happen again. Any warning lights? Engine die or bogging? Try to see if there are any codes, if possible. Of course, go back to the dealer regardless. It definitely is a safety issue.

Some parts are defective, some cars are lemons....it sucks. The new replacement will work.

Never read on the sound issue- too tired ATM.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:37 PM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

Whats nice about the lights is the adjustment screw only controls the up/down movement of the light. The side to side aimming it fixed and not adjustable so one can play with the lights and not worry about aimming them into oncoming traffic by accident. A simple allen wrench can aim the lights in a couple of minutes.

One reason why I am not impressed iwith the service dept is I don't think they really checked the rear view mirror. It was broad daylight, I don't think they tested under night coniditions. And then yesterday while I was out the dealer call and left a message about the mirror. When I called back they called to tell me the mirror wasn't in yet. It wasn't suppose to be in for a few days. I am not sure what they were thinking. But I am giving them a chance to fix everything w/o giivng them a hard time.

Another reason for the bad first impression, it was like a zoo in there. I am use to going to a first class service dept (Healy Chevy in Beacon, NY) where the service area and waiting room are two seperate areas, where they have free coffee, donuts and WIFI. This Ford dealer had none of it. The service people you talk to are in the same area as the waiting room with people coming and going, the TV on, etc, etc.

Joe
Old 08-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Well, I brought the car to the Ford dealer to look at the 4 problems I was having:

2. rearview mirror is not dimming - they said the mirror is defective and ordered a new one.

3. power steering not working one time - they checked but could not find anything wrong.

4. Shaker 500 noise problem - not sure if they looked at it, no comments from them.

So far I am not impressed with Ford service.

Joe

A headlight machine...never heard of that one, even from a very high end body shop. A "headlight machine" is typically comprised of a few pieces of tape on a flat floor and a wall.

Rear View, they got it fixed (or will have it fixed)

Shaker 500...no comment

Power steering not working one time...mm...don't know what to tell you. It's a mechanical system driven by a belt. Unless a check valve got stuck somewhere, there's not reason it shouldn't work and they aren't going to start replacing parts just becauase you say so. Granted it is a safety issue but the problem can't be replicated...

Mmm..as for the service center itself that's different from dealership to dealership. I've been to some where the waiting room is just a couple of chairs in a hallway. The one at my current dealship of choice has a seating area with flat panels, a decent cafeteria, and a kids arcade area with Xbox360 and PS3.

Every one is different. If you're not happy with this dealership, find another don't fault the OEM.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:17 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Whats nice about the lights is the adjustment screw only controls the up/down movement of the light. The side to side aimming it fixed and not adjustable so one can play with the lights and not worry about aimming them into oncoming traffic by accident. A simple allen wrench can aim the lights in a couple of minutes.

One reason why I am not impressed iwith the service dept is I don't think they really checked the rear view mirror. It was broad daylight, I don't think they tested under night coniditions. And then yesterday while I was out the dealer call and left a message about the mirror. When I called back they called to tell me the mirror wasn't in yet. It wasn't suppose to be in for a few days. I am not sure what they were thinking. But I am giving them a chance to fix everything w/o giivng them a hard time.

Another reason for the bad first impression, it was like a zoo in there. I am use to going to a first class service dept (Healy Chevy in Beacon, NY) where the service area and waiting room are two seperate areas, where they have free coffee, donuts and WIFI. This Ford dealer had none of it. The service people you talk to are in the same area as the waiting room with people coming and going, the TV on, etc, etc.

Joe
Hmmm..Brandon Ford is great and has a seperate waiting room for those whose car's are in service and those waiting on purchasing. The local Chevy dealer here is a dick and their service sucks..luckily i can use Goodyear on my company car and not have to bother with them ... Try another Ford dealer if you don't like that one
Old 08-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Commander Bubbles
2nd Gear Member

What he said.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:55 AM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

Default UPDATE - THEY BROKE MY WINDSHIELD!

YES, I AM NOT IMPRESSED. You know why? THEY BROKE MY FREAKIN WINDSHIELD TODAY!!!!!!!!

I called the dealer and asked if my mirror was in. They said yes. I go there and then they said they made a mistake and it wasn't in. But by pure luck while I was there the delivery truck came and had the mirror.

They go and install the mirror and ended up breaking the windshield. I am in the waiting room and the service guy comes out and says "I got good news and bad news. The good news is the new mirror works, the bad news is we broke the grass.

I told you I was not impressed for various reasons, not all of which I put in my post. I just have a sense about these things.

So I told them I had to go to work and they brought me to the local Avis and rented a car for me. The new windshield suppose to be installed sometime tomorrow.

Joe

Originally Posted by GT_n00b
Not impressed?

1. They worked on your issue and had no way of verifying until such a time required headlights.
2. They fixed your issue by ordering you a new one.
3. You aren't able to replicate the issue and they didn't find anything wrong.
4. Its your own fault you did not get verification from them that they checked out the issue.

What is there not to be impressed about? They did exactly what was required of them from what you told/showed them.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:34 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

YES, I AM NOT IMPRESSED. You know why? THEY BROKE MY FREAKIN WINDSHIELD TODAY!!!!!!!!

I called the dealer and asked if my mirror was in. They said yes. I go there and then they said they made a mistake and it wasn't in. But by pure luck while I was there the delivery truck came and had the mirror.

They go and install the mirror and ended up breaking the windshield. I am in the waiting room and the service guy comes out and says "I got good news and bad news. The good news is the new mirror works, the bad news is we broke the grass.

I told you I was not impressed for various reasons, not all of which I put in my post. I just have a sense about these things.

So I told them I had to go to work and they brought me to the local Avis and rented a car for me. The new windshield suppose to be installed sometime tomorrow.

Joe
So to clarify...YOUR NOT IMPRESSED...but it has more to do with the dealership than with Ford. My Ford dealer is great. Customer service can either make or break a car experience. Sorry to hear your dealer sucks
Old 08-06-2009, 01:26 PM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

Yes, I didn't say I was not impressed with Ford. Only the dealer at this point. Unfortunately this dealer is 1/2 mile from where I work and very easy to get to. The next nearest dealer is 10 miles away at least.

Joe

Originally Posted by wilkinda
So to clarify...YOUR NOT IMPRESSED...but it has more to do with the dealership than with Ford. My Ford dealer is great. Customer service can either make or break a car experience. Sorry to hear your dealer sucks

Quick Reply: Just picked up GT but got problems...