Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brighter headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by avengence
4000K is probably the most white you can get. Here is a comparison:

http://www.kusoz.com/hid_photos_compare.jpg
Excellent! Thank you!
Old 08-07-2009, 02:52 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrwglo
Yep there are brighter out there as a direct replacement. I used to be a Silverstar guy and have them in my GT currently, but I recently purchased Phillips X-Treme Power bulbs for my Ninja and they are WAY brighter than Silverstars. My next bulbs for the GT will be the X-Treme's. Also, yes the fog lights change out the same way but are a different size. You have to take the clips off the plastic cover under the hood and kinda tilt it forward (without breaking it). It was kind of a pain in the butt, but I didn't want the brightness to be different between the headlights and fogs.
The X-Treme bulbs aren't available for our cars which are H13 (headlamps) and H10 (fogs).
Old 08-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

So of the silver stars I need H13's for the headlamps and then H10's for the fogs?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:15 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

DON'T DO IT !!!

Silverstars are garbage.

Save your money and spend it on beer, or for HID's.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:14 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mach
So of the silver stars I need H13's for the headlamps and then H10's for the fogs?
That's correct.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:56 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec
That's correct.
H13ST for the HeadLights
056-186 $36.95 Sylvania Headlight Bulbs (Hi/Lo)
and
H9145ST for the Fog Lights
056-185 $19.95 Sylvania Silverstar Fog & Driving Light Bulb

Got em sitting in the closet awaiting
for a good reason to install them....
Just waiting for one of the OEM bulbs
to burn out FORCING me to replace them
with the SilverStars...
Old 08-08-2009, 10:08 AM
flobeelicious

keep in mind, any of the brighter halogens are more likely to burn out quicker than the stockers.

in my cobalt ss/sc, i ate through 5 sets of brighter halogens over the course of 4 years and about 90 k. had a bunch of different brands - heres a quick summary

piaa xtreme white - decent light, definitely better than stock. pricey. 1 year warranty on bulb, had to use it twice in 7 months, then didn't bother when it went out again. overall, not worth it if its a pain to replace the bulb.

silverstar - ok, not a whole lot better than stock. both sets lasted about 2.5 months. they did much better in my old cavalier than the balt.

silverstar ultra - slightly better than the regulars, but still only got about 4 months out of the bulbs, and i'm not sure they were really worth the difference over the regular silverstars.

philips crystal vision extreme - these were actually the best of the brighter bulbs i tried. pretty good light output, although maybe not quite as pure white as some others. these lasted a little over a year each time i put them in. i've seen them in multipacks at some warehouse clubs, might help you get them a little cheaper.

i'm back to the stock bulbs on the cobalt now. after going through all those bulbs, and having factory HIDS in the mustang, i'd join the line saying get HIDs, especially if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by flobeelicious
keep in mind, any of the brighter halogens are more likely to burn out quicker than the stockers.

in my cobalt ss/sc, i ate through 5 sets of brighter halogens over the course of 4 years and about 90 k. had a bunch of different brands - heres a quick summary

piaa xtreme white - decent light, definitely better than stock. pricey. 1 year warranty on bulb, had to use it twice in 7 months, then didn't bother when it went out again. overall, not worth it if its a pain to replace the bulb.

silverstar - ok, not a whole lot better than stock. both sets lasted about 2.5 months. they did much better in my old cavalier than the balt.

silverstar ultra - slightly better than the regulars, but still only got about 4 months out of the bulbs, and i'm not sure they were really worth the difference over the regular silverstars.

philips crystal vision extreme - these were actually the best of the brighter bulbs i tried. pretty good light output, although maybe not quite as pure white as some others. these lasted a little over a year each time i put them in. i've seen them in multipacks at some warehouse clubs, might help you get them a little cheaper.

i'm back to the stock bulbs on the cobalt now. after going through all those bulbs, and having factory HIDS in the mustang, i'd join the line saying get HIDs, especially if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.

So for HID something like this..?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/hid-du...m-kit-h13.html
Old 08-08-2009, 03:23 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Mach
http://www.americanmuscle.com/hid-du...3-install.html

Yep but you really need the relay for them to work correctly.
Not plug-n-play for sure...
Old 08-09-2009, 04:01 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by flobeelicious

Holy cow the bulb companies must love you and your bulb-eating vehicles! I've had a single set of silverstar H13s in two different mustangs so far over probably 2.5 years and so far they are still kicking (of course now that I've mentioned it, they probably will die next time I use them :-P), and both cars were/are DDs. Guess I'm lucky...

Quick Reply: Brighter headlights?