Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing My Shirt...Again

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:11 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

I would go for the SS or the cheap KR's that were on another thread earlier today. But in the end, any car shouldnt be looked as an investment.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:13 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06
I would go for the SS or the cheap KR's that were on another thread earlier today. But in the end, any car shouldnt be looked as an investment.
more like a money pit of mods and fun! so I agree with Joe!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:59 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
Great responses so far. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for any of these to go up in value. I just don't want another car that's going to cost me dearly like the vette has. The reason I want out of the vette is "I can't stand corvette owners any longer". Moreover, I can't stand being lumped in with them. I love the look of the SS over the KR. There's just something about that single stripe with those 20 inch wheels that just works on the S197. But I would hate to spend 75K on another car and have it drop like a stone. If I took another 18K dollar hit in depreciation. I would have lost 36 thousand dollars in just a few yrs. I love cars but there driving me into the poor house...Literally.
Any new car you buy will instantly depreciate! They are not investments. All your choices will be worth less the minute you buy them, and I mean about $10,000 less.

A Supersnake is just a modded GT500, which are also not too special. They make thousands of GT500's! Unless you can get Shelby to do something special to your GT500 it will be worth about $10,000 less than you paid the second you take the keys. Over the long run it's possible it could have some value, but will you be putting it into storage now? Or putting miles on it?

But for someone who just "lost" 18K because he doesn't like Corvette owners I can bet you're not going to listen to wise advice, which is-
mod your current car until you get it the way you want and keep it forever!
If you put $10,000 in mods into your GT you will be keeping its value up, especially if the mods are done right. I'm not saying it's an investment getting a supercharger, but your car will be worth the same for longer as you add the right bling and performance parts.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:48 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06
I keep thinking and I said it before...
Anything with the Shelby name on it, will become an instant investment once old Carroll passes away IMO.
Just like it was with Enzo Ferrari.

There is nothing equivalent to the Shelby name when it comes to American motorsport, it is a world wide thing...

So... we need to get ours before it's out of reach!
Old 08-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
I keep thinking and I said it before...
Anything with the Shelby name on it, will become an instant investment once old Carroll passes away IMO.
Just like it was with Enzo Ferrari.

There is nothing equivalent to the Shelby name when it comes to American motorsport, it is a world wide thing...

So... we need to get ours before it's out of reach!
I agree. It's a little morbid to base something on someone dying, but its true.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:50 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Your best bet for not losing TOO much would probably be the GT500. It costs less (and you can get them fairly cheap now) and since it costs less, the depreciation will also be less. Just look at used GT500s. They are not much cheaper than new ones. Just my opinion but basically the cheaper car will depreciate less (unless you plan on reselling after 30-40 years...)
Old 08-13-2009, 07:54 AM
ptaylor_9849
2nd Gear Member

Whao, whao, whoa, hold on there Orion. While I very much appreciate people's advice and different opinions, I certainly don't need to be insulted with your comment about not taking "wise advice". I'm no kid and I'm not foolish with my money. Making educated decisions by asking questions is what has allowed me to have over a hundred thousand dollars worth of toy cars. I'm not bragging I'm just fortunate enough to have been born with an open mind that allows me to learn from others. If I wasn't the type to take good advice then i wouldn't ask for peoples opinions! I'm sorry if I took your post too harsh but if you read it again you'll see it's kinda insulting.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:03 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240

But for someone who just "lost" 18K because he doesn't like Corvette owners I can bet you're not going to listen to wise advice, which is-
mod your current car until you get it the way you want and keep it forever!
If you put $10,000 in mods into your GT you will be keeping its value up, especially if the mods are done right. I'm not saying it's an investment getting a supercharger, but your car will be worth the same for longer as you add the right bling and performance parts.
I personally don't see that as wise advice. The increased value of a modded car (if there is any) will never equal the money you spent on those mods so I don't really see modding the car as the answer to helping it maintain its value.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:24 AM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

I'd go the KR or SS route. They're obviously special compared to the standard GT500's, and of course the GT's. They're more or less considered collectible now, so in the future, and the way things are going as far as even smaller displacement performance (V6 w/ twins might be the only thing available), they might become a relic soon! "The last of theV8's! " I also don't like to say this, but after Carroll passes on, anything Shelby will skyrocket, IMO.

BTW I had a Vette too, (a 2000 FRC), and I lived on the corvetteforum.com ( northeast section) People that I knew moved on, I couldn't make alot of the runs, and I was getting married, so cash was tight for track days, etc, so thats when I traded it in for my '06 GT Way more practical, yet still fun for me, I had to have an S197! I gotta say though, the Vette people I knew were a good bunch, they were into the cars, and not a bunch of vain, stuck up a holes (although the avg. Vette owner could seem to be that way, and unfortunately you get lumped in with them, too!)
Old 08-13-2009, 09:52 AM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

i think you should go the KR route! i have seen 2 selling for around 61k brand new. Any gt500 owner can turn their car into an SS, but no one can turn their car into a KR. Much more rare. Also you havent answered the question if your getting an 09 or 10 yet. If you were looking into 10, obviously KR is not an option.

Quick Reply: Losing My Shirt...Again