Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key and fob together

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:58 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

Would this also happen to work on a 2009 GT500? Totally hi-jacking here. Sorry OP
Old 08-18-2009, 12:27 AM
EF 07GTCS
1st Gear Member

its best that you keep all you other keys on a sepreate ring anyway. I've been told that the extra weight of the extra keys (if it's excessive) will damage your ignition switch. I don't know if that's true on todays cars but... I keep mine seperate.
E
Old 08-18-2009, 12:31 AM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chris07GT
jesus christ, you have a freaking mustang and your bitching about have to carry a key fob? Oh, the horror!!
This sounds a lot more like bitching than any post that preceded it.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:36 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Never2mucHP
There’s a solution to this: SEPARATE KEYCHAINS.

I keep my Stang key separate from everything, my truck key as well. My work/house keys stay on a separate ring and usually stay locked in the car/house depending on where I am. Storage/toolbox keys get their own ring too.

Only carry what you need. I would be willing to bet there are keys on your ring you only hardly ever use. There is no reason to walk around looking like a janitor is you don’t have to.

Also, you could buy a '10 stang. It would solve your problem....
I do that too. I hate carrying around 100 keys on my key ring for one car. Since I own 5 cars, I have a separate key for each vehicle. I like to keep it simple;

Old 08-18-2009, 06:41 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
I'm so depressed for not having an integrated key.

And when are they gonna put foot massagers and coffee makers in our Mustang, damn it!!
Is it too much to ask??

That's it! I'm buying a Japmobile next...
Hey pascal, that's what they make RVs for.

That's why I take my conversion van on long trips. It has a TV with surround sound and a couple of aux ports for the coffee maker and electric cooler.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:52 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If the key and the fob are a single unit (or separate and kept on the same ring, for that matter), it will be possible to lock yourself out of your car. Unless you carry a duplicate key that's at least good enough to unlock the door (which sort of defeats the whole purpose of not carrying a separate fob, no?).

Take it from somebody who has managed to lock himself out of most everything at one time or another - three or more keyrings with only a few keys each (example, one car's ignition key + a house key) spread over more than one pocket is a lot easier to carry around than one big ring that holds them all plus a little one for the most critical spares. Not to mention being easier on the ignition switch or to have two cars running simultaneously, or to leave a car running but still be able to run back into the house for the thing you left on the table. Almost forgot - a separate ring for just the fobs if more than one car has them.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-18-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:14 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

This issue was discussed in another forum quite thouroughly:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...&highlight=key

This item (although costly) was discovered to work even in the 05, according to the above thread, and was reported to be of good quality:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3D8%26ps%3D33

I plan to purchase one in the future as soon as I get 2 working Ford keys (My car came with 1 from ford and one aftermarket that does not allow me to program a 3rd key without a trip to the dealership . )
Old 08-18-2009, 08:17 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by EF 07GTCS
its best that you keep all you other keys on a sepreate ring anyway. I've been told that the extra weight of the extra keys (if it's excessive) will damage your ignition switch. I don't know if that's true on todays cars but... I keep mine seperate.
E
On my old car (2000 Pontiac GTP) I had a lot of keys on my key chain and at about 80,000 miles the ignition started to go wacky. I could pull the key out when the car was running and not have to use it to turn it off. Sometimes it would start with out the key, and sometimes it would lock and no turn, so needless to say I have 2 separate chains now, one with a fusion key and one mustang keychain and the rest of all my other crap on another.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:51 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

I read through the 11 pages of discussion that madscottman mentioned in another forum. Apparently they are several fobs you can get and program to work with 05 and up mustangs. These include a Mazda and fusion fob and key combo.

Apparently there is a guy on ebay that has sold most of the keys to the individuals. I believe his name is Artaway. I will check it out nad let you know.

However, there seems to be a problem for me. I do not have two working keys for my mustang. The dealership only gave me one. Is there a way to still program the new key if I get one?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:46 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

sweet!

when you've paid $275 for a bmw "key" like i have, $50 for one of these is cheap! and that was just for the fob itself (that plugs into the dash), not the integrated cut key. has to come from the factory in germany as there are 10 pre-set codes for each car and dealerships can not program keys.

might have to do this real soon.

Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN

This item (although costly) was discovered to work even in the 05, according to the above thread, and was reported to be of good quality:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3D8%26ps%3D33

Last edited by timothyrw; 08-18-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Key and fob together