Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holy Crap!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:23 AM
Pete_Rockett
2nd Gear Member

Default Holy Crap!

I have owned my 2008 GT for 2 months now, and have been completely satisfied in every way. I was particularly impressed by the stock performance, but my original intent was to do some mods "just because". I ordered an SCTX3 from Bamachips with an 89 torque, 93 torque, and 93 performance tune; at the same time I ordered a Steeda CAI.

Last night I finally had a couple of free hours and did the install. I loaded the 89 tune because that was what was in the tank, and I wanted to go at it gingerly. This morning I fired it up to drive to work.

The first thing I noticed was the firmness and timing of the shifts (I have an auto). After about 20 minutes of feeling it out, I was ready to put my foot in it. That's where the "Holy Crap" comes in!

I thought this thing was quick when it was stock, but stock can't hold a candle to what I have now! Shift points were perfect, and it was chirping the tires in second and third. And the SOUND! Holy crap again!

I filled up with 93 and will run a couple of tanks through it then tune it again.
I'm beginning to understand the potential of this engine.

How much was that supercharger again?
Old 08-18-2009, 07:33 AM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

I hear ya.. Ive had my 09 GT for about a month and am gettin my CAI soon. Cant wait.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:45 AM
SpeedingBullitt
2nd Gear Member

if you thought that was good wait till you put the 93 tune on it. a good tune makes all the diffrence.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Southern Stang 722
2nd Gear Member

Haha, good to hear. I've been running 93 in my tank since i thought about ordering my tunes from bama. Still waiting on them to show up in the inbox though...Only 2 days have gone by and i'm going crazy waiting for them.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Yep...
Old 08-18-2009, 09:27 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Exhaust next
Old 08-18-2009, 09:39 AM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

LOUDMOUTHS !!!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Much beyond the CAI & tune, you'll need suspension upgrades to keep that power connected. There are a few other mods that'll gain you a few more RWHP but not the bang-for-the-buck that the CAI & tune does. Consider cams, LT headers (IF you can lose the cats), delete plates, UDP's, aluminum DS and a few other nickle and dime HP mods if you want more performance short of going FI. FYI, axlebacks and catbacks other than stock will only add sound, NOT performance.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

CAI/Tune + Gears

Best bang for the buck n/a mods IMO.

Headers are a PITA to install, kinda spendy depending on what you get, and the power gains aren't all that great.

Tires are a good thing but they usually aren't cheap unless you just get some M&H drag radials and slap them on the stock wheels. Otherwise you're in it for wheels too and that means more $.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Pete_Rockett
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Much beyond the CAI & tune, you'll need suspension upgrades to keep that power connected. There are a few other mods that'll gain you a few more RWHP but not the bang-for-the-buck that the CAI & tune does. Consider cams, LT headers (IF you can lose the cats), delete plates, UDP's, aluminum DS and a few other nickle and dime HP mods if you want more performance short of going FI. FYI, axlebacks and catbacks other than stock will only add sound, NOT performance.
Good point on the suspension. I took it out again at lunch and ran some more; it is obvious that getting the horsepower to the ground is going to be the trick. I'll mess with a few more mods then take a look at that.

Quick Reply: Holy Crap!