Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Mustang GT Whipple 550hp HO Kits Shipping this week!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 07:51 AM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
It has not for me and many others...esp with the whipple kits! believe that!

and to the naysayers above...11 psi and about 540 crank HP!.....My tuner runs 500+ RWHP and no issues and 30+ track runs and runs in the 10's with 20" rims and DR's
Nice but you must admit that when you built your car, you spared no expense to get it right, thus you have no issues.. For the average guy on a budget who cant afford that level of detail, it may cause serious damage to his engine after just bolting on this charger and engaging in some tire thrashing....So when i say don't believe the hype i meant caution for the average guy who's trying to improve his performance. there's a lot more risk with 11-12 pounds of boost then say 5 pounds of boost...
Old 08-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dominant1
10-12 pounds of boost will destroy the bottom end of a 4.6 litre v8...Dont believe the hype!!!!
Originally Posted by FreshPuck
dominant, I was just thinking the same thing. Isn't that gunna fox w/ the stock engines of the 2010 gt's? I didn't think they could handle that much boost
Originally Posted by SMiller
A lot of fuel with a lot of boost, add a bunch of timing and some hard driving should window a block in no time. There is a reason that the other kits dont make 550+hp...
I'm sorry but you guys are misinformed.

Do you think that Ford Racing sells these kits on their site knowing that every customer that's going to buy a 550kit will blow up their motor? Do you think Whipple would do the same? There's obviously been enough durability testing on these cars since the S197 was released in late 2004 to give both companies a level of comfort knowing that they can sell them without a high level of risk of their customers to blow their engines.

The reason why others don't offer a kit like this is that they don't have the components or tuning that this kit offers. There's no corners cut with this kit. Fuel system is comprised of an additional pump, module and larger fuel injectors. The tuning is done by the top tuners/engineers in the industry. The blower and intercooler are also very efficient designs.

Out of the hundreds of these kits we've sold over the last few years I don't recall having any of my customers call me and tell me they blew up their motor with an HO kit at the boost level that it comes with. I have seen guys blow up cars that push them harder than that however at the 10-12psi level I've seen nothing but positive results.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion but I can give you real world results and facts as there's no other business that's sold more of these then us. The numbers don't lie.

Jared

Last edited by Boostaddict; 08-24-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:18 AM
USAF in Germany
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boostaddict
I'm sorry but you guys are misinformed.

Do you think that Ford Racing sells these kits on their site knowing that every customer that's going to buy a 550kit will blow up their motor? Do you think Whipple would do the same? There's obviously been enough durability testing on these cars since the S197 was released in late 2004 to give both companies a level of comfort knowing that they can sell them without a high level of risk of their customers to blow their engines.

The reason why others don't offer a kit like this is that they don't have the components or tuning that this kit offers. There's no corners cut with this kit. Fuel system is comprised of an additional pump, module and larger fuel injectors. The tuning is done by the top tuners/engineers in the industry. The blower and intercooler are also very efficient designs.

Out of the hundreds of these kits we've sold over the last few years I don't recall having any of my customers call me and tell me they blew up their motor with an HO kit at the boost level that it comes with. I have seen guys blow up cars that push them harder than that however at the 10-12psi level I've seen nothing but positive results.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion but I can give you real world results and facts as there's no other business that's sold more of these then us. The numbers don't lie.

Jared
Jared, My 2010 should be delivered in Dec, and I am considering boosting the car. It is a 5 speed manual with a 3.73 ratio. I have a few questions though. First, if I were to decide to go with the subject whipple kit, what other mods are necessary to install on the car? Do I need a different exaust or headers, or will the kit work fine by simply bolting it on? Obviously I would see gains if I were to install better exausts components, but just curious what I what could expect with the kit alone. Second, will the car need more maintenance and upkeep to go along with the kit (obviously I will need tires more often. This will be a daily driver and I will be doing some high speed driving on the autobahn. Will the car be able to handle sustained periods over 4000-4500 RPMs?

You can probably tell I don't know much about supercharging. When my brother and I were souping up our rides in the 80's, we did it with camshaft upgrades and MSD ignitions, and searching junkyards for doublehump hipo cylinder heads for our camaro.

TIA

trey
Old 08-30-2009, 11:36 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Thanks Jared!
Old 12-04-2009, 08:01 AM
JaggedEdge
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SMiller
A lot of fuel with a lot of boost, add a bunch of timing and some hard driving should window a block in no time. There is a reason that the other kits dont make 550+hp...
Believe me I am 63 and have done a ton of dumb $h!t. For every person who believes 10 to 12 pounds of boost will turn the stock 3 valve bottom end to crap you'll have 50 people wiping up oil saying "hey dude it's perfectly safe".
BTW there will be a hand full of this seasons speed shop so called tuners taking your money.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:04 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by dominant1
Nice but you must admit that when you built your car, you spared no expense to get it right, thus you have no issues.. For the average guy on a budget who cant afford that level of detail, it may cause serious damage to his engine after just bolting on this charger and engaging in some tire thrashing....So when i say don't believe the hype i meant caution for the average guy who's trying to improve his performance. there's a lot more risk with 11-12 pounds of boost then say 5 pounds of boost...
First part in bold....your right I did not spare any expense in having the S/C installed and dyno tuned by a very reputable but fair priced shop here in Michigan.....but I can give you names of several guys on this forum that have done just what you described....bought the kit...installed it themselves.....and downloaded the Whipple tune with the procal tool provided by Whipple and went on to some serious tire thrashing....and no issues for a couple yrs and counting.

Second in bold....I do understand your point and yes there is a big difference between 5 psi and 12 psi and all the average guy has to do is some homework and research (and not just on a forum) and they can make a significant improvement in performance and do so safely.

I will say that if anyone decides on FI (regardless of type) and does so with the stock block and in particular the "stock internals" (powdered rods are the weakest link) and regardless of the psi (5-12) they have to know that it will decrease the life of the motor and if you want to play you may have to pay........so make sure you have the cash to replace the motor if it blows at any power level or park it and wait until you do have the money.

I knew this from the second I decided what type of FI I wanted and that in the future I would forge or replace the motor when I up the boost or if the motor blows before that time. I do know many that run 10-12 psi that use the car as a DD too and they have had no issues either.......tune is extremely important as well as the fuel delivery and whipple covers that extremely well when they designed this kit with FRPP. I went up almost 200 RWHP with just one "upgrade" and am not worried at all about the motor...this newer version is more efficient at said psi from mine too.....hence the 550 HP designation......
Originally Posted by JaggedEdge
Believe me I am 63 and have done a ton of dumb $h!t. For every person who believes 10 to 12 pounds of boost will turn the stock 3 valve bottom end to crap you'll have 50 people wiping up oil saying "hey dude it's perfectly safe".
BTW there will be a hand full of this seasons speed shop so called tuners taking your money.
can you elaborate on this?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:52 PM
JaggedEdge
1st Gear Member

Here is my elaboration.
Buyer beware, go with a tuner who has invested in his products and good name and brand investment. Example Roush, Steeda, Saleen Wipple and Kenny Bell.
Most of all listen to gut or head.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:10 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

I would be skeptical about these claims as well, but if Lethal Performance is backing the product than thats good enough for me. I have bought a ton of gear from lethal and not ONCE had an issue with ANYTHING. Product, shipping, customer service, pricing.....One of the few online retailers I trust and use frequently.