Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't remove antenna - need help/suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:00 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Um, a six point box end wrench?
The right tool for the job??
Sears sells em....
Old 08-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If it's already galled up, then a pair of visegrips had better be able to get it off. When I installed my shorty, all it took was a pair of taped plier jaws and a rag and a small amount of pressure.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:16 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 2005BlackGT

06LgndLimeGT, using a file sounds like a great idea. Thanks man.
Limers know.

Since it's all buggered up now, a wise grip might be needed.
For further reference, when dealing with an undamaged antenna: Use a 10mm boxed in wrench and put some tape around that base nut so your paint doesn't flake off.

You prolly have the only car on these forums that required a tool to take that antenna off.
On most Fords with fixed antennas, it's only finger tight...
Old 08-27-2009, 07:03 PM
THEBLACKSTANG
4th Gear Member

Why did the car wash take it off in the first place?
Old 08-27-2009, 09:55 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by pascal
Limers know.

On most Fords with fixed antennas, it's only finger tight...
+1
Until some one notices it is just finger tight and decides to tighten it up...
Old 08-27-2009, 10:49 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Mine was tighter than hand tight, to the point where I did have to use a proper wrench to break it loose. But it had blue stuff on the threads, almost like blue loctite.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:31 AM
2005BlackGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by THEBLACKSTANG
Why did the car wash take it off in the first place?
I’m not allowed to hand wash my car outside my condo. It’s a rule of the housing association. : (

We only have a few car washes in Northern VA. Most of them you drive up, tell them which package you want (super, deluxe, premium, etc.), they take your car from you and after vacuuming, drive your car through the machine and when it comes out they hand dry it for you. Usually there’s a guy there to take the antenna off and they just hand it to me or put it in the car. It hasn’t been a prob until that one incident and it won’t be a prob from now on. I found a self service car wash where you pump quarters into the machine.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:59 AM
Croft
3rd Gear Member

First off, hope you got the antenna situation fixed.

Second off, I understand you aren't able to wash your car at your condo complex, BUT you shouldn't be taking it to a carwash where the damn hulligans are taking off your antenna!! That usually means you are using one of those automatic ones!!!! For Gawd sake I hope it's a TOUCHLESS car wash!! If it ain't, I feel bad for your black paint...........................WHOLLY SWIRL MARKS!!! Just trying to look out for you brother!!

And, don't be letting others dry your car, or EVEN wash it!! Go to that self serve car wash if you must and DO NOT use the brush!!! More swirl marks!! Again, just looking out for you my friend..........

Last edited by Croft; 08-28-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:56 PM
2005BlackGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06LgndLimeGT
Bigger channel locks. j/k You could file 2 flats and used an adjustable wrench. I can't believe it would be that tight, its just an antenna.
This weekend I took your suggestion and filed down two sides of the antenna and took an adjustable wrench to it. The antenna was stubborn and didn’t want to lose so after some slight turning the antenna broke in half at the threads. After visiting my local Ford dealer, I was able to purchase a new antenna base for $17. Not bad. The only issue was the antenna is threaded through the fender and disconnects behind the glove box. Using my head, I took a nylon rope and wrapped electrical tape around the old antenna and pulled it through the fender and reversed order to pull the new one back through. I had the new antenna base installed within 10 minutes. Problem solved. Thanks for the suggestion. You the man. = )
Old 08-31-2009, 05:47 AM
06LgndLimeGT

I'm amazed it broke in half!! At least the problem is behind you now!! If you HAVE to use that car wash be sure YOU remove it next time, so the jack@#@ doesnt touch your car.

Quick Reply: Can't remove antenna - need help/suggestions