Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here float the gears on their s197?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 12:56 PM
09Stroker

Originally Posted by socalwrench
To be honest, many truck drivers and race car drivers use this technique to save shifting time. However, both of them know at what RPM the gears line up at, so they mesh properly. If you're off by as little as 200 RPM, you can easily grind a gear. On a street car, don't do it. Tell your boyfriend to use the clutch.

If he's worried about dropping RPM during shifting or taking too long to shift, consider using the heel toe technique.

If you are going to do it don't just jerk on the shifter... if you put a little pressure on the stick when you let off the throttle it will pop out on its own...same goes for getting back into gear... just put light pressure on the stick and don't force it otherwise you will grind the gears... you can also give it a little throttle to bump the rpms up if you miss the shift.... downshifting is usually a little more difficult then upshifting.

And no its not bad on the transmission if you aren't grinding gears... talk to any truck driver, they only use the clutch to start and stop the trucks. You just dont see it as much in light duty vehicles because they tend to see more stop and go action.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:28 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

^^ Sorry bro, you will shorten the transmission life by a whole bunch when you don't use the clutch.
And if you have a built motor on a stock tranny when doing that, the life span is only weeks.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:24 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

straight cut gears are what makes clutchless shifting easy, its not a good idea unless you have the right kind of transmission,
Old 09-15-2009, 02:03 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

For some reason I tried it on the way home today. Pretty awesome the one time I did it. But the six times of grinding fourth makes me never want to do it again. Nice to know it's possible
Old 09-15-2009, 07:49 AM
09Stroker

Originally Posted by pascal
^^ Sorry bro, you will shorten the transmission life by a whole bunch when you don't use the clutch.
And if you have a built motor on a stock tranny when doing that, the life span is only weeks.
Can you actually substantiate this with proof or are you repeating something you heard from someone else off this forum because "a whole bunch" doesn't really quantify anything.

Like I said if you force it and jam gears yes you are going to do damage but in the course of normal driving you are fine... Do I do it in my mustang? No...because I am usually revving it too fast to catch a gear anyways and I am more worried about nailing the rev limiter. On my other vehicles that I drive yes I do it... I have a six speed powerstroke sitting in my driveway with 150k on it and have been doing it since day one and not a single problem. I had a five speed powerstroke previous to that with 250k on it and not a single problem with shifting without a clutch.. also have an F150 with a 5 speed & 180k and not a single problem with it.

So from my perspective as long as you know what you are doing and doing it correctly it is just fine.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:03 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09Stroker
I have a six speed powerstroke sitting in my driveway with 150k on it and have been doing it since day one and not a single problem. I had a five speed powerstroke previous to that with 250k on it and not a single problem with shifting without a clutch.. also have an F150 with a 5 speed & 180k and not a single problem with it.
The question is why?? I've done this too but there is absolutely no benefit to doing it on a regular basis, providing you have a functional clutch.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:14 PM
JOHNNY
2nd Gear Member

I thing she talking about power shifting with out the clutch, not just shifting without the clutch, big difference power shifting with out the clutch and miss and you could not only damage the trans the clutch and the motor.It's fun but could be costly? Just shifting without the clutch will hurt the synchronizer and gears in time thus reducing trans life.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:57 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

there is nothing wrong with clutchless shifting if you know what in the hell you are doing. i get lazy and i clutchless shift daily for the past 4 years. i hardly ever use the clutch. this is a trucker technique and my friend is a military truck driver and this is how he drives all the time. all you guys are basing knowledge off hear say or someones "bad" experience
Old 09-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Ive never heard of any problems or benifits but the one time i successfully did it, it was very smooth. Didnt seem jerky or anything. I think if you are good at it the it shouldnt hurt your car much, but the trick is being good.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:26 PM
JOHNNY
2nd Gear Member

If she knew what she was doing this thread won't be here.I just don't want to see anyone blow a clutch or a trans practicing this. I've been a tech for 35 years and I know what this does and I know Pascal a tech.and he knows. It's just job security to most techs, Shifting a truck without the clutch is way different than power shifting a Mustang at peak power with out the clutch. the clutch and trans. in these car are pricey??

Quick Reply: Anyone here float the gears on their s197?