Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine/ Vibration 3500 to 4000 rpm????

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:28 AM
RyanV

Default Engine/ Vibration 3500 to 4000 rpm????

Greetings all,

I recently installed Granatelli Poly Motor Mounts and the CHE with torque limiters.

I know that I am supposed to feel the engine a little more as I have stiffened up the driveline and motor and better connected it to the car.

What I do notice now is that under acceleration between 3.5 to 4k rpms, there is a slight vibration that is more noticable than the otherwise smooth acceleration. This occurs in both accel and decel as well as when sitting still in neutral and simply revving the engine.

Butterfly valves? Harmonic frequency whatchamacallit?

Car has 10,000 miles and I'm assuming there are no tuning issues.

I only have basic bolt on CAI running Brenspeed 93 and a cat back system.

Any Thoughts?????
Old 09-20-2009, 10:01 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I think this is perfectly normal. Mine has the same type of vibration, but it's closer to 3200rpms. It did get better when I changed the clutch, but it's still there. I first noticed it after changing my drive shaft to a 1 piece, but it is still there with the stock shaft. The stock motor mounts and drive shaft do a good job at dampening engine vibrations.

If you want a buttery smooth engine, then you probably have to pay a lot more or have your motor balanced.

I accelerate so fast now, that I only feel it when cruising at that rpm or accelerating normally.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:10 AM
RyanV

Thank you sir, glad to know it's not unique to my ride, It's not bothersome, just wondered if I should pay attention to it or not. Btw, do you have CMVC deletes?

I'm still wondering if this is caused by them opening?
Old 09-20-2009, 11:50 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

i haven't heard much stuff bout granatelli latley...just saying
Old 09-20-2009, 01:28 PM
RyanV

The Granatelli Mounts are similar/identical to the Prothane mounts, I think the mounts just allowed me to feel the vibe.

And consequently its at the same rpm range as the engine spacer plate noise that some ppl get and only during cold engine.

Btw, Granatelli's Camp just enjoyed a write up in October MMFF page 96 detailing how they build some sick 3v motors, turbos and other stuff, check it out: http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ine/index.html
Old 09-20-2009, 04:39 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RyanV
And consequently its at the same rpm range as the engine spacer plate noise that some ppl get and only during cold engine.
That's what I was going to say; it's possible that you may have that issue and just notice it a bit more now that everything is stiffer.

My only other guess (and I don't mean to scare you because I am probably wrong) would be maybe you bent something slightly while jacking up the engine? I only say this because I was worried about this when I did my motor mounts...

I'm sure it's normal though. I keep going back and forth about the K member brace and torque limiters. I guess since you did both mounts and this at the same time, you can't really comment on whether it's worth the trouble or not haha.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:55 PM
RyanV

True, but the combination IS SICK, I was having some less than inspiring shifting before,

Did the MGW, Poly mounts and CHE at the same time and she shifts like a dream, and feels like a muscle car now,

Besides, I'm just slowly getting her ready for her appointment with BOOST!!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:47 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

True, but the combination IS SICK, I was having some less than inspiring shifting before,

Did the MGW, Poly mounts and CHE at the same time and she shifts like a dream, and feels like a muscle car now,

Besides, I'm just slowly getting her ready for her appointment with BOOST!!
Ohh man. I was also thinking about the MGW! This post makes my wallet scream in agony haha.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 PM
RyanV

Just remember, you get what you pay for, better to buy the best once, rather than a cheaper shifter and end up replacing or rebuilding it later.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:34 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Just remember, you get what you pay for, better to buy the best once, rather than a cheaper shifter and end up replacing or rebuilding it later.
Oh I hear that. I've already decided it's either MGW or nothing. At this point I think it's only a matter of time.