Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang GT...shifting never consistent

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:22 AM
overcome1236
2nd Gear Member

maybe your just letting go of the clutch too quick.. but for the actual shifter part mine is pretty stiff sometimes i feel like i gotta yank on it to shift through gears kinda pisses me off and i dont wanna mess up the syncro's def need a short shifter
Old 09-22-2009, 09:47 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Same boat here. Sometimes I'm smooth, sometimes I jerk. Gotta be mindful in first or you'll start bucking. Glad I'm not alone.

My dad's been driving sticks all his life and he recently borrowed my car ( I borrowed his truck) and had some things to say about drive-by-wire. And my cars tuned! lol.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:22 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

No complaints about my car shifting. Like always, manual shifting seems to be up to the driver. Sometimes I shift smooth sometimes not so much. Rev-matching seems to be important in this car.

I've never had a powerful manual tranny car before. Nature of the beast?
Old 09-22-2009, 11:22 AM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

i drove a friend's 400hp GTO 6-speed manual and it was much easier to drive smoothly. first time driving it he said, "don't think it doesn't **** me off that you can drive my car smoother then me!"

in my mustang it is very difficult to execute smooth starts and 1-2 shifts. have to really pay attention...

the tune helped a bit.

Originally Posted by robs
It's not a 4 cylinder econo box. It's a 300 pony fun car. Clutch is a little grabby. Big deal! Do some 3 grand hole shots and just enjoy what happens next!
Old 09-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Same problem here. I've wondered if higher gears (I have 3.31) and a few extra rpm on idle would make first easier to start in. I find my car to shift into first way better in the rain too...
Old 09-22-2009, 12:17 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

Interesting post. I never had a problem, but I never drove the car with the stock shifter, The FRPP shifter is great after a few miles after it loosens up. But I think the shifter problem could be one of three things.
The stock shifter
The 331 rears ( I have 3.55 posi)
Or the drive by wire for which there is an excellent fix if you go through the searches on this Forum.

Of the three, I would bet on the drive by wire setting which is probably not engaging properly. THere are several little hockey stick like contacts that touch down onto several "lanes" of copper strip. The person on this forum that took the plunge and took his apart found that several of these contacts were not touching the :lanes" properly. With a little precise bending of the hockey stick the car's take-off was both faster and smoother. It was like a whole new car.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

It's not you, it's the car... My 5.0 drove exactly the same every single day regardless of the temp...

My 06 GT some days is so smooth I love it, other days I'm adjusting the seating hoping it will smooth out the shifting... I live in Fort Lauderdale, our weather is the same every day, our low temp for the year is usually around 60, so it's not the weather..

I suspect two things. The computer and the clutch... It's not the trans. I notice the clutch catches differently all the time. More of a on or off rather than a blend like the old 5.0s...

I'm paranoid i'm trashing my clutch, but I'm probably not, just the way the thing drives.

ps, it has nothing to do with the shifter, I have the Steeda installed by Steeda... It's the clutch and computer... Some days they don't play nice together...
Old 09-22-2009, 01:47 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

I know the car can be touchy on the gas. If you don't press it lightly enough it will take off on your or cause that annoying bouncing effect lol But that only happens when i'm being lazy and just drop the clutch in and I don't care about smoothness lol. But if I choose to drive smooth, I can do so with ease. Just gotta be good at working the gas pedal very lightly... we're talking like fractions of inches lol
Old 09-22-2009, 01:51 PM
ptaylor_9849
2nd Gear Member

Funny that you mentioned the weather. My entire shifting and driveline is MUCH smoother when it's raining. It's like the high humidity is lubricating something that otherwise dries out. It's like driving a different car in the rain and I like it a lot more.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:35 PM
overcome1236
2nd Gear Member

and i feel like my car drives like absolute **** in the rain .. i hate it so much.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT...shifting never consistent