Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT Spoiler and Trunk Emblem

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 08:38 AM
aaronl29

Default GT Spoiler and Trunk Emblem

I tried to look back a few pages and see if this was asked yet and I hope it hasn't been. I have a 08 mustang v6 and I ordered the Mustang GT spoiler and Trunk Emblem from newtakeoff.com. Has anyone ever tried to replace them before? I have a little dumb looking spoiler on my car now that when i tried to take off has a big double-sided foam glue type strip in the middle and i was worried bout bending the trunk lid when trying to pry it off. Also about the trunk emblem, theres no way to get behind it. Do they make a special tool to slide in behind it to unclip them? Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:40 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaronl29
I tried to look back a few pages and see if this was asked yet and I hope it hasn't been. I have a 08 mustang v6 and I ordered the Mustang GT spoiler and Trunk Emblem from newtakeoff.com. Has anyone ever tried to replace them before? I have a little dumb looking spoiler on my car now that when i tried to take off has a big double-sided foam glue type strip in the middle and i was worried bout bending the trunk lid when trying to pry it off. Also about the trunk emblem, theres no way to get behind it. Do they make a special tool to slide in behind it to unclip them? Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks!
Ok, here is what you do to get them both off. First, open your trunk and take a look at the bottom side of it and you will see 4 nuts that hold the spoiler on that will need to come off. Once you have done that, take some 50lb test fishing line and in a sawing back & forth motion run it under you spoiler. Start at one end and work your way to the bolts you took the nuts off of are at. Do this on both side of the spoiler. If you do not have the bolts like are on the GT spoiler then you can just keep going with the fishing line until it comes off. Now on the emblem, its attach with just tape, get a "plastic" pry tool and pry up one side and once again use the fishing line to cut threw the tape. This emblem has 2 hard plastic plugs toward the middle of it so you will not be able to pull the fishing line all the way threw it. So just keep working it around until you can pry it off.

After you get them both off your going to be left with a ton of tape film left on the paint. This can be removed with WD-40 or Goo Gone but it takes a lot and a lot of rubbing.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Since that V6 spoiler uses a lot of adhesive, you might want to invest in something like this as seems to be a great way to quickly remove the bulk of it, while not damaging the paint. I also used 3M adhesive remover after pulling off my GT spoiler as it really does a good job of breaking down the adhesive.

No matter what, that V6 spoiler will be a PITA... so take your time.

http://www.goferauto.com/3mstwh.html
Old 10-16-2009, 06:10 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

Fishing line,some go gone and some time,When i changed my rear badge was the worst the hole thing has 3m tape on it!
Old 10-16-2009, 06:49 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I understand the reason of the pedestal spoiler, but the GT emblem on a sixxer, WHY? Be proud that its a V6.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:45 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

^^what he said
Old 10-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
I understand the reason of the pedestal spoiler, but the GT emblem on a sixxer, WHY? Be proud that its a V6.
Agree...if you wanted a GT sticker...buy the car that comes with it stock equipment.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:58 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I think the GT500 spoiler looks better than the GT one. Keep in mind that low profile V6 spoiler is the same one used on the GT500 KR. So you could probably sell it as such.

Personally, I would not put a GT emblem of any kind on a V6. It's like putting a Snake emblem on a GT when it is not.
Like they said above, be proud it's a Mustang V6 and not a Ricer.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:19 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Did you remove the 4 bolts/studs that is holding it on as well?
Saw thru the 3M tape with braided kevlar fishing string.

Same goes for the Emblem. It has alignment pins only, no clips and
3M adhesive holding it on. I just pried mine off with my fingernails.

And pease no rebadging the vehicle unle4ss the equipment supports it.
It could confuse the next owner into paying too much for a V6.

Last edited by 157dB; 10-17-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:21 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

I agree with the others, be proud of your V6 and mod it up all you want but putting a GT emblem on it is pretty lame.