Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gear installation...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 10:53 AM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

Default gear installation...

yay, more gear questions...

i've decided to pick up ford racing 4.10's relatively soon.

my questions are about the installation of the gears. I'm a do it yourselfer... despite having very limited mechanical background. how difficult would this job be in a garage w/ no lift?

would anything, other than the gears, be required? i've got under 3k on the car now. obviously i'll need to add new gear oil, but is there anything else that needs to be done, replaced, etc?
Old 10-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

This isn't the " do it yourselfer" type of thing. Its best to have someone or place that has done them install it right. Measurements with special tools need to be made to have the correct pinion/ring gear spacing or you will have premature wear which will result in a noisey rear end.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:13 AM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lv XLR8N
This isn't the " do it yourselfer" type of thing. Its best to have someone or place that has done them install it right. Measurements with special tools need to be made to have the correct pinion/ring gear spacing or you will have premature wear which will result in a noisey rear end.
fair enough. i'll take it to a shop then. thanks
Old 10-17-2009, 11:41 PM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scapegoat
yay, more gear questions...

i've decided to pick up ford racing 4.10's relatively soon.

my questions are about the installation of the gears. I'm a do it yourselfer... despite having very limited mechanical background. how difficult would this job be in a garage w/ no lift?

would anything, other than the gears, be required? i've got under 3k on the car now. obviously i'll need to add new gear oil, but is there anything else that needs to be done, replaced, etc?
You can do it in your garage, but it is difficult. I've done it twice, you will need lots of tools, time and elbow grease. Without a lift you will have to remove the axle. Its not really hard , just unbolt a few things. Once out, you can remove the old gears. Installing the new gears is a very precise process. you will need various measuring devices, a hydraulic press makes pressing on a new pinion bearing easy. You know, i think i spent well over 700.00 to get all the special tools to install my gears. So unless you plan on changing them out again, just pay someone else to do it.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:53 AM
JOHNNY
2nd Gear Member

If you never done this before it's not a job to learn on it can be done but have someone that knows how to do it on call just in case. Yes you need some special tools and a touch for gear mesh?? good luck.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:13 PM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by brunobluto
You can do it in your garage, but it is difficult. I've done it twice, you will need lots of tools, time and elbow grease. Without a lift you will have to remove the axle. Its not really hard , just unbolt a few things. Once out, you can remove the old gears. Installing the new gears is a very precise process. you will need various measuring devices, a hydraulic press makes pressing on a new pinion bearing easy. You know, i think i spent well over 700.00 to get all the special tools to install my gears. So unless you plan on changing them out again, just pay someone else to do it.
yeah, doesn't sound like something i want to get into then haha. i'm already going to be spending money on the gears and a tuner to fix the speedometer, another $700 in tools i won't use more than once or twice on this car isn't in the books.

i appreciate the responses. as much as i love to handle my own ****, this looks like a job for superman