Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is NAV so rare??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I've never bought a factory nav system because they are almost always inferior to aftermarket systems, and many times the price.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:49 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

get the stang and get the aftermarket nav its way better then the factory one
Old 11-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I'm a person who likes his privacy. If I were looking for a NAV system, which would be unlikely, I would want one that had minimal invasion of privacy.

I understand that with the latest GM OnStar system, you can call OnStar if your car is stolen. They will attempt to locate the car. If they do, they will tell the police where it is. If the car is moving, the police contact OnStar and ask them to flash the lights on the vehicle, to make sure they are following the stolen vehicle. Then they request OnStar to turn off the engine. Well, that's nice in the case of a stolen car, but where can it lead?

In my area we have "spare the air" days when smog is a problem. People are asked to use public transit if possible. At present, there are no fees or fines for driving on such days. If the government decides to prohibit driving, they can absolutely prevent you from driving by just telling OnStar to turn off engines on cars so equipped.

I read about what I considered unwarranted intrusions even from earlier OnStar systems. One motor magazine was doing a slalom test. During the test, they got a call from OnStar because OnStar considered that the car was being driven in an erratic manner.

At one point a GM official denied a report that OnStar could listen in on your conversations within the vehicle without first informing you. You can believe it or not.

Granted, some people don't care about their privacy to the extent I do. For those of you ready to jump on the bandwagon for all this electronic stuff, you might want to at least consider the privacy you could be giving up.

I'll stick to paper maps, thank you. Yes, I will get lost sometimes. Nothing is perfect.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:10 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
I'm a person who likes his privacy. If I were looking for a NAV system, which would be unlikely, I would want one that had minimal invasion of privacy.

I understand that with the latest GM OnStar system, you can call OnStar if your car is stolen. They will attempt to locate the car. If they do, they will tell the police where it is. If the car is moving, the police contact OnStar and ask them to flash the lights on the vehicle, to make sure they are following the stolen vehicle. Then they request OnStar to turn off the engine. Well, that's nice in the case of a stolen car, but where can it lead?

In my area we have "spare the air" days when smog is a problem. People are asked to use public transit if possible. At present, there are no fees or fines for driving on such days. If the government decides to prohibit driving, they can absolutely prevent you from driving by just telling OnStar to turn off engines on cars so equipped.

I read about what I considered unwarranted intrusions even from earlier OnStar systems. One motor magazine was doing a slalom test. During the test, they got a call from OnStar because OnStar considered that the car was being driven in an erratic manner.

At one point a GM official denied a report that OnStar could listen in on your conversations within the vehicle without first informing you. You can believe it or not.

Granted, some people don't care about their privacy to the extent I do. For those of you ready to jump on the bandwagon for all this electronic stuff, you might want to at least consider the privacy you could be giving up.

I'll stick to paper maps, thank you. Yes, I will get lost sometimes. Nothing is perfect.
I suppose if the government wants to listen to my conversations while driving they are free to. They'll probably be bored out of their mind.

Of course Glenn Beck tends to think that GM was bailed out simply because GM and the Government were using cars to listen to people.

Here's to hoping that all terrorists drive American!

Sorry, didn't mean to make it political. I just find paranoia to be funny sometimes.

Which motor magazine was it that this happened to?
Old 11-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
I don't remember. It was quite a number of years ago. Perhaps one of the magazines published on Mars that I read while visiting mom and dad. More likely it was Car and Driver, Road & Track, or Motor Trend.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that no one is out to get you.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:26 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

You'd be suprised at what they can be had for. 07's with remaining factory and ~30k miles can be grabbed at 22-27k from the right locations. If thats the way you really feel about them you should look into it .

I didn't realize the Mustang could accomodate a Nav setup that was flat to begin with. I just assumed it would have to be the typical flip-out stuff. Do they intregrate any features of the car into the factory unit? I guess I am used to a 335i where almost all the functions of the car are also controlled from the main screen console.
I was referring to stock for stock. Obviously, now that i have over 45K invested in my car, im not gonna trade it in for a used stock CTS-V. Thanks for the info though, lol
Old 11-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I still don't remember, but if you Google the exact phrase "slalom test OnStar", there are several interesting (at least to me) articles. One gives the scenario of speeding to get to the hospital with an ill person, only to have OnStar shut off your engine.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:36 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
I still don't remember, but if you Google the exact phrase "slalom test OnStar", there are several interesting (at least to me) articles. One gives the scenario of speeding to get to the hospital with an ill person, only to have OnStar shut off your engine.
I understand your concern abou that. If anything, I would think its rare and it certainly has merits about opening them up to a lawsuit. That said, many car companies including BMW, Mercedes, etc have that ability now. Remember the good sides of that program too, like if you get in a wreck that incapacitates you, the car/onstar will automatically alert emergency responders. I take comfort in that.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:39 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mac10chap
I was referring to stock for stock. Obviously, now that i have over 45K invested in my car, im not gonna trade it in for a used stock CTS-V. Thanks for the info though, lol
Well with what your car is pusing, why would you. But given that used Mustang prices in my area for a low mile 2007-2008 are in the 19-21 range, and used CTS-v's in a similar mileage bracket are roughly 24-28k, I can certainly make the argument to myself on spending more for Nav+ 100hp hehe.

Either way it ends up I'll be happy I think. Heck, I'm happy with my current car. Honestly if I could land a new Camaro in the 28k range (used) I probably would hehe.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:43 PM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

I was under the impression that 2009 was the first year for a Mustang to have NAV. That could also hinder your search.

I could be misinformed....

Quick Reply: Why is NAV so rare??