Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I Getting Hosed by the Dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 04:27 PM
SkyWitit23
2nd Gear Member

I believe they are called the "Stealership" yeah i would have flipped out on themand deff would have went to another dealership..Deff call ford tho...
Old 12-08-2009, 04:56 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Well, as far as paying them for the current work; by you saying "okay, do it", you have entered into a contract with them, so yeah, in that case you are being irrational. The time to negotiate price is when they tell you how much it is going to cost and are asking for approval to proceed, then you moan and complain and threaten to take it elsewhere. The law is against you once you have given them the okay to proceed. But yeah, you are being hosed.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:14 AM
bigblue95z
2nd Gear Member

I think you got screwed on the belt/tensioner. That is about a 30 minute job. Injector cleaning, worthless. Plugs/wires shouldn't be more than $75 for a decent set. You paid over $1000. I wish you'd come to my shop........

But seriously, you could have done all ^^ in your driveway, for about $200 TOPS with basic hand tools and about 3-4 hours for a total nooob. Next time you think you have a coolant leak, look for it and find it before you take it in. They're wasting YOUR DOLLAR looking for it. And not finding it mind you, but getting you to buy all the BS that you don't need. You're supposedly a college educated person, figure it out.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:42 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

STOP taking your car to the dealership.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:01 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Dealers charge way too much. Look around and shop around the work that has already been done and you'll see how much you could have saved.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:15 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Agree with previous posters. Your mistake is that you keep taking it to a stealership. Remember this: Screw me once, shame on you; screw me twice, shame on me. I have only ever taken my car to a dealership when there is a major issue and our body shop can't resolve it, usually when you need the ford scanners and such. But even then I personally know the service manager and the lead tech is a good friend. In your case, you need to find a mom and pop shop and have them check it out.

Also, get a set of tools and try doing some work yourself. A thermostat, a belt and tensioner, that stuff is easy to do. You could look into some different sites on the internet or the forums for advice and help. Alldatadiy is pretty decent and they really don't charge and arm and a leg. Or even pick up a repair manual from the store. You will still want to buy your parts from the dealer, just not have them work on it. I can tell you some horror stories from places like autozone and advance.

Last edited by ChalknCover; 12-09-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Mark33563

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
.....You will still want to buy your parts from the dealer, just not have them work on it. I can tell you some horror stories from places like autozone and advance.
Very true.

Not sure about the dealers in your area, but the local dealer for me buys many of their parts from NAPA. So, when I go to replace my clutch and brake pads, I plan to go to NAPA and get them for less than what the Dealer is saying they get them for.

Remember, the dealer is going to mark-up any parts they get (typical for even a local shop). So, save even more bread, go to NAPA or some other quality parts house. Get to know the NAPA folks, many of them work on their own stuff as well.

Join a club. Most of those folks work on their rides and can offer valuable advice if not even offer to help you do the work.

The best way to save cash is to buy your own parts (get quality ones) and do the work yourself. Use the internet and the forums. Ask questions. Most of us did not pop out of the woumb knowing how to work on our rides. Some of the other folks on here seem to have.

Also, as mentioned before, AwfulZone is not known to be a quality part supplier....

Mark
('06 GT)