Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction Control?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Never noticed an issue there
Old 12-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by deekum1627
does the trac control stop you from shifting into 2nd seems like that happend to me sometimes
Are you talking about the auto tranny? I've had TCS cause major hesitation (NOT the fuel pump related hesitation) going WOT both from a roll and from a dig but never did it prevent me from shifting on my manual. But if it's cutting fuel and braking, I'd imagine it would reduce the load enough that the auto tranny wouldn't think it NEEDS to shift...

TCS "OFF" whenever I get in the car unless the roads are wet.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:33 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by deekum1627
does the trac control stop you from shifting into 2nd seems like that happend to me sometimes
If you are in snow/ice conditions, wouldn't you start in 2nd gear to begin with? Less torque, less spinning.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:18 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluovalguy
If you are in snow/ice conditions, wouldn't you start in 2nd gear to begin with? Less torque, less spinning.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:29 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Anyone ever slip on road reflectors, either wet or dry?
Old 12-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NDN GQ
I wish the electronic nanny was more than a selling feature on this car lol.
I wish it wasn't even there.

It can make it way too easy for a driver to think that more grip is available than is really there. You should be given the first indication that traction is poor in the first few mph of starting from a dead stop, which tells you "let's not get stupid here, 'cause something bad really could happen". If it's hard to get going, isn't it obvious that stopping and steering aren't going to be any better? TC can make starting enough easier that you don't get that message, in which case you might get going faster than you should for the conditions.

40 years ago if you were inexperienced enough to accelerate a little too hard on the wet pavement (let's say sheltered by a tunnel/bridge/overpass) you could find yourself going a little too fast to make the turn on the snowy road ahead. At least back then, the source of any wrong driving decisions was pretty easy to identify, and with any luck at all you learned something that stayed with you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I really don't think that having the TC lamp blink or do whatever it does actually teaches you anything about avoiding wheelspin and any subsequent car control issues. If anything, it's a distraction, quite likely just when you need it least.

Yes, I've noticed that the S197 is a bit more sensitive to the throttle in wet (or worse) conditions than most FWD cars. So what you need is to be "smoother" with the steering and pedal inputs. You probably can't do any better than "neutral throttle" - neither accelerating nor decelerating - in really slick conditions in a RWD car that cannot selectively apply the brakes on only one or two of the wheels. But even the best stability control system cannot overrule the laws of physics and prevent all slick-road incidents, and relying on such systems to allow near-normal condition driving (which is what I think will happen in actual use) is effectively expecting the same thing.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-29-2009 at 05:41 AM. Reason: added 'expecting'
Old 12-28-2009, 08:57 AM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by satur9poet
Any word on when your car will be done? It would drive me nuts to go more than a day without my Horsie...

And at least you have 13 years' driving experience. Try 4 months with this being my first winter in RWD! Previously I drove when I could borrow a relative's FWD car, usually on weekends to run errands for them. So of course I'm a bit nervous about driving in winter conditions being such a n00b and all...

From what Nuke said, it sounds like you handle a RWD car much in the same way as FWD--lay off the brake and the gas and steer into the skid. Right? But somebody told me recently that with RWD, you're supposed to give it a little acceleration when slipping to transfer weight back over the rear wheels. Is this true or total BS?
Do not accelerate when skidding in a rear wheel drive. U will just wipe out that much faster. I have driven rear wheel all my life and they are pain in the butt during winter. A little common sense goes along way in these conditions. Such as if there is a lot of ice on the road then just stay home. U can drive when the roads are snow covered but not aggressive. Traction control system works in the snow. I was in a parking lot and tried to do a donut with the the tcs on and u cant get half way around. So it does work just not on ice
Old 12-28-2009, 10:33 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I wish it wasn't even there.

It can make it way too easy for a driver to think that more grip is available than is really there. You should be given the first indication that traction is poor in the first few mph of starting from a dead stop, which tells you "let's not get stupid here, 'cause something bad really could happen". If it's hard to get going, isn't it obvious that stopping and steering aren't going to be any better? TC can make starting enough easier that you don't get that message, in which case you might get going faster than you should for the conditions.

Norm
I agree with that. My accident was a combination of driver error(stupidity) and the weather. I guess where I'm at right now is just getting my driving confidence back. I learned a hard lesson here, and that's part of life. I just don't want this to happen again. This is the question that no one will probably ever be able to answer.. even myself, what happened. I still reflect back, maybe I was trying to change lanes at the same time? I can't remember. Were my tires slick and I slipped on a road reflector? Did I slip on someone's chunk of ice? Was it black ice? I just don't want to be nervous or scared at even the slightest hint of moisture on the road surface. Cautious, yes, I've learned that, but I guess only time and being back on the roads will correct.