Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn PA snow!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:28 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

Default Damn PA snow!

Hey everyone,

First of all, let me start by saying that I've always been confident of driving my Mustang in the snow. Until this unfortunate incident happened and changed my perspective.

I was heading back home from campus on Tuesday, and it started snowing like crazy! By the time I got near home the road was coated heavily with snow. I put my flashers on and was doing 10 on a 25 until I got rear ended by a car that apparently didn't realize I was going that slow until it was right behind me.

This was the first accident I get involved in so I asked the officer of the steps I should do to get my car fixed by the other car's insurance. What he said is that I should just talk to my insurance company and they would obtain the police report and go from there. So I called my insurance company, and since I don't have collision coverage they won't fix it and then compensate from the other party's insurance company. I was then advised to obtain a police report myself and get the insurance information from there. So I'm stuck until Monday when I will go to the police department and do the whole procedure.

I'm just asking for advice from individuals who have experience in this area to help me out because this is a terrible time for this to happen since I have final exams next week.

Here are some pictures of the car: (NOT for the weak hearted!)

Old 12-12-2009, 08:45 PM
itsokimapilot
1st Gear Member

Dude that sux. My wife had someone pull out in front of her. Caused 8k in damage to her van. Here is what I learned. 1. You are entitled to get your car fixed where you want it to get fixed. 2. You are entitled to a rental car (paid by their insurance). 3. Don't skimp on the repairs. make it whole again. 4. You are entitled to get your car fix where you want. Don't let the insurance company tell you otherwise. They don't like to part with their money. It took a little arguing with insurance but I put my foot down and didn't accept no for an answer. YOU SHOULDN'T PAY FOR ANYTHING!!!!! and if I didn't mention it already get your car fixed where you want it to get fixed. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:47 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

sorry to see it but actually it doesn't
look that bad. the breakaway rear bumper
and exhaust work is what is standing
out at the moment.

hope she gets fixed up soon.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:50 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

You dont haev full insurance on your car!? thats nuts man. you are stuck waiting for how fast the other drivers insurance goes then which could be a very long procress
Old 12-12-2009, 08:51 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Did you get the insurance information from the other driver? You should be fine since you were rear ended. Usually whenever that happens it's the person who rear ended you that is at fault. In the mean time, once you contact the other driver's insurance company, they will send an adjuster out to figure out how much it going to cost to have your car repaired. Then they recommend a shop that they are affiliated with to send it to. You should be able to pick the body shop you want to take it to at the other driver's insurance companies expense.
Just relax and study for your exams. Your Mustang will be good as new.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:21 PM
THEBLACKSTANG
4th Gear Member

Ouch! I hope it all works out for you, I can't imagine why it wouldn't seeing as you were rear-ended.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:01 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

It honestly doesn't look too bad, and insurance shouldn't take too long because it should be the other persons fault. When my truck got hit by a guy that ran a stop sign it took literally like 4 days for me to get a check in the mail. I didn't even have time to file a claim with my insurance. Hope it works out for you.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:14 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I'm really sorry to hear about your accident. I had one last sunday, but it didn't involve other drivers. Can't believe someone rear ended you like that even with your flashers on. That is just terrible. As for insurance, I called them and they had my car towed. The next day I told them which shop I wanted it sent to and wha-la. They did the estimate and will send me a check. As people recommended, this is the time to think about doing any additions to your mustang. In my case, I got a new Roush front fascias with a chin spoiler. I'm not exactly sure how it will work with the other insurance company in your case, but since it's the other driver's fault, it should all be taken care of. I didn't even get a police report, I just have the officers name and number, but again in your case, it's a little different. I know it's a heart breaker to see your stang like that, but you should make sure you have full collision coverage.. in my experience so far, it's pretty easy to wipe.. and it WILL be costly to repair out of your pocket. Best of luck.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

No collision? WTF? Glad you weren't hurt... physically.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:58 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

your lucky that you don't have physical damage, your car will get fixed don't worry bout dat

Quick Reply: Damn PA snow!