Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To stagger or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 04:16 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

non staggered ftw unless you live at the strip in which case you should have some dr's anyway

get 265/35/20s all around

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....5WR0GFTAKDW2XL
Old 12-15-2009, 04:29 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

I would say go with 255/35/20 Kumhos....they fit right on the razors and only command in the area of $100 a piece. Here are some pics. The top 2 pics the car is lowered with Steeda Sports. The bottom pics are stock.

Last edited by thedrod; 12-15-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:37 PM
clentonz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I have 275's all around and it's a very stable feel. However, the tramlining on well rutted roads is a real PITA. Although I don't encounter roads that are that deeply rutted (95% of my Stang driving is highway), when I do she fights me pretty severly. Due to the tramlining only, I regret not doing 255's up front.

I used to have 285/50/18's and the tramlining was pretty bad on my jeep(I know I know...I went through that stage....rims on a jeep :O )

But, from what I've heard, understeer/oversteer is worse with a staggered set-up?
So....What are in fact, the benefits of going staggered over non-staggered?

From what I can tell:
- Traction, need wider tires out back, completely understandable.
- The raked look
- Rubbing/etc. from lowering

I mean, I understand tramlining would be worse and that people would want to save weight with skinnier tires up front...

Also, what is the widest tire I could fit on a 20x9 wheel front/back stock? Lowered with Eibach pro kit springs?(without obvious, significant rubbing/fender rolling/etc.)

Thanks again everyone, I know this topic has been beatin to death....(Searching now....lots of threads on this)....This is just a big investment, and I want to do it right the first time.

Cheers

Last edited by clentonz; 12-15-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:45 PM
clentonz
1st Gear Member

Wow thedrod, great looking car! Whats that black thing on top of the engine.......isn't that where the intake manifold goes?? You should have that looked at! lol jk jk very nice, I'm located up here in the DFW part of TX.

Great looking car, and I love the drop! You don't have the, "gap" in the back that I was worried about; but also has a slight rake. What made you want to go with 255's all around vs. wider tires? Hows the ride with the 20's (both stock and after lowering)? Thanks for the pics! Also, what off set did you go with?

Last edited by clentonz; 12-15-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Some of the tire specs allow a max recommended 275 on a 9" rim but it varies somewhat from tire to tire.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:24 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clentonz
Wow thedrod, great looking car! Whats that black thing on top of the engine.......isn't that where the intake manifold goes?? You should have that looked at! lol jk jk very nice, I'm located up here in the DFW part of TX.

Great looking car, and I love the drop! You don't have the, "gap" in the back that I was worried about; but also has a slight rake. What made you want to go with 255's all around vs. wider tires? Hows the ride with the 20's (both stock and after lowering)? Thanks for the pics! Also, what off set did you go with?
Ha! Thanks I'll pass the compliments along but this is my cousins car. We both have the passion and are well involved in each others vehicles. He lives up in Dallas as well and works as a mechanic so labor is free.

The 255s were chosen to allow the tires to be rotated. The car is a daily driver so having drag start traction was not a priority. The tires do however provide ample performance, looks, & cost effectiveness.

After tires/wheels...the ride was not affected as much as you'd think. But you could definitely feel a weight difference but not something you'd regret buying them for.

After the drop, its tight and nimble. Perfect combo. Steeda Sport Springs and Steeda Pro Action shocks.

As far as the offset goes, I can't remember, but it is the offset that allows huge brakes to fit. I think there are only two choices of offset for these wheels and any seller should know which ones clear the brakes. As you can see in one of the pics the Large 4 piston Brembo Calipers clear just barely.

The Eibach kit looks great, but I think its a bit low for my tastes. Here is a pic of a buds car in my driveway after he installed the Eibach pro kit. The left rear tire shows more gap because my driveway is at an slight angle.

http://www.agafitei.com/mustang/mike/
Old 12-15-2009, 06:37 PM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

Staggered looks so much better, but having the same size all around is more sensible. Depends on what is more important to you.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:53 PM
jake1.11
1st Gear Member

Cool

Its good to hear that your ride quality wasnt affected much...I too have a similar question but havent received any feedback from anyone. Out of curiosity, what made you restrict yourself to a 35 series tire front and back??? I am contemplating a 40 series in the rear with a 35 in the front to try to fill the wheel arches a bit more. According to the tire specs it would give me wheel diameters of 28.7 and 27.5...should be decent rake.

I hope I'm not hijacking your thread here= /

Jake
Old 12-16-2009, 09:18 PM
RoushGT
1st Gear Member

I like staggered. Went from 255's all around on 20x8.5's to 305's (drag radials)on 10's on the rear and kept 255's on front. I prefer it, looks more aggresive IMO. Also, my car still tramlined with the 255's until I installed a strut tower brace. No more tramlining now!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:17 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jake1.11
Its good to hear that your ride quality wasnt affected much...I too have a similar question but havent received any feedback from anyone. Out of curiosity, what made you restrict yourself to a 35 series tire front and back??? I am contemplating a 40 series in the rear with a 35 in the front to try to fill the wheel arches a bit more. According to the tire specs it would give me wheel diameters of 28.7 and 27.5...should be decent rake.

I hope I'm not hijacking your thread here= /

Jake
THe reason being almost everything that is a 40 series is considered a light truck tire unless you want to pay 300 a tire. You don't have many options in 40 series.

If you want to fill the wheel wells get 20x10s and get a 295/35/20 in the rear (Nitto INVO). Those are much taller than stock and the 255/35/20.

I really believe that for simplicity's sake, get a combination of tire that has been tried and tested by other mustang owners. 255/35/20s work all around. 255/35/20 Front and 295/30/20 Rear work.

There are many combos but nobody with a 20 inch wheel that I can remember runs a 40 or any oddball size like that.

Quick Reply: To stagger or not?