Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To stagger or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 01:51 PM
clentonz
1st Gear Member

Default To stagger or not?

I think I might have come across a good deal at discount tire....4 new 20x9 AR Gun metal Shelby Razors (24mm offset) with 275/35/20's mounted/balanced/TPMS/etc. for $1400, and I think I'm going to jump on it....I own a 08' PW GT

I do plan on lowering it at the same time with possibly the pro kit springs(not for sure on the springs, want to talk to Sam strano first; but most likely)

**My question, should I go with maybe 255/35's in the front and 275/35's rear (or something similar)? I love the raked look, and I'm afraid if I go with 275's all around with the pro kit, the rear gap is going to look goofy/small...

Pro's of 275 all around:
- Can rotate and get more life out of the tires($$$)
- I like the 'thicker/widened' sidewall on the fronts for extra protection of the wheels and maybe a little better ride.
- I like the wide stance (24mm) look

Negative's:
- Cannot rotate
- Scared of the 'to skinny/goofy' look in the rear when lowered
- I know that I will get a better raked stance with a larger tire out back...so kind of a plus
- 'tracking' the grooves in the road from the wide tires out front.

I know this is blasphemy....But I would rather give up a little handling to be able to retain some of the ride (after lowered and 20's)...So yes, you could say I'm a little more for looks than performance at this moment...

If anyone has any advice/help/say on this, it would be more than appreciated!! I have searched so much, I just wanted some extra advice or personal experience on this one b/c I think this deal is going to happen soon, and I don't want to regret it.

***These are not my cars, but I love the stance....I do think that SAI goes with 255f 275r but I'm not sure of the sizes on these cars...
Attached Thumbnails To stagger or not?-20-inch-gunmetal-razors-with-the-6-inch-backspace-and-24mm-offset..jpg   To stagger or not?-nice-shelby22.jpg  

Last edited by clentonz; 12-15-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:00 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

Thats a tough one... If you like taking the curves fast or going to the road course I would do the 275's all around. If you like to drag more then I would do the staggered setup. I know that when I had 275's all around on my Cobra it "tracked" bad on the highway.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:10 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

You can get 9in wheels in the front and run 275 up front and 315 out back on a 10.5 wheel. That will give you the best traction. IMO 275 out back isnt enough tire.

I would also consider getting 18s instead 20s, it will give you some more performance but thats all up to you.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I've got 255/45/18 on 8.5" rims front and 285/40/18 on 9.5" back no regrets.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:56 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by avengence
You can get 9in wheels in the front and run 275 up front and 315 out back on a 10.5 wheel. That will give you the best traction. IMO 275 out back isnt enough tire.

I would also consider getting 18s instead 20s, it will give you some more performance but thats all up to you.
he has his eyes set on a set of 9" rims so going 10.5 width is probably not an option for him. If your going for traction, width does not really give you improvement. Mostly depends on the compound of the tire. I think you would be wasting money on 255/ 275 out back because ut that's not much of a size difference, therefore you will not have the noticeable stagger look imo. If your trying to save money, go for 275s all around.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:08 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChiDiddy
he has his eyes set on a set of 9" rims so going 10.5 width is probably not an option for him. If your going for traction, width does not really give you improvement. Mostly depends on the compound of the tire. I think you would be wasting money on 255/ 275 out back because ut that's not much of a size difference, therefore you will not have the noticeable stagger look imo. If your trying to save money, go for 275s all around.
Contact patch always matters. I agree though, compound does matter but I am guessing if he is trying to save money he isnt going to go for a tire that only lasts 10-15k miles to get better traction. Thats why I was saying to go with a wider tire.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:23 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Raked
Old 12-15-2009, 03:28 PM
clentonz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChiDiddy

Yes, that is the thing...the Shelby Razors only come in 20x9, so that is a option that I really can't change. If I did stagger, I would defiantly want to get the diameter as close as possible(front/rear). I guess my main concern is that if I go 275's all around, and lower it, the rear wheels/tire are going to look out of proportion(small) compared to the fronts...especially with the springs(pro-kit that leave some height in the rear)

What is the widest tire I could fit out back on a 9"?

I don't know, I just figured that 275/35's would give me some sidewall(ride)....but I'm just worried about when I do lower it, I'm going to wish I went with either bigger tires in the rear or smaller in the front; for that raked look.

*Also, I'm completely stock for now(except adj. PHB for the lowering), so traction is not a big issue right now....now wheel hop on the other hand....I can't spin them anyways b/c it hops so bad....sry /rant

Last edited by clentonz; 12-15-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Redsox401
2nd Gear Member

Front:255/35/18 = Sexy time!
Rear:305/35/18

*Trust me i know from experience. Girth gets the ladys going!
Old 12-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I have 275's all around and it's a very stable feel. However, the tramlining on well rutted roads is a real PITA. Although I don't encounter roads that are that deeply rutted (95% of my Stang driving is highway), when I do she fights me pretty severly. Due to the tramlining only, I regret not doing 255's up front.

Quick Reply: To stagger or not?