Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding Ticket, any options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Glassback09

First, most departments have a policy that states the officer does have to appear. If they don't appear in court on the scheduled day there will most likely be a "internal" investigation of some sort undertaken, usually resulting in some form of discipline for the officer.

Second, the document was not "falsified" because he listed your speed as 69 in a 60 instead of the 78 he had you at. It is within the officers discretion to reduce the charged speed and most of the time it reduces the fine. Ie; 60 to 69mph is X amount, while 70 to 79mph would be more. In his own way he was giving you a break.

All of that having been said, if you do choose to go to court the officer does have to detail his training and experience that led him to the conclusion you were speeding along with the records, calibrations or other documents for any equipment he might have been using, such as radar.

Finally, the judge doesn't always side with the officer. As a officer for the last 19yrs, I know this for a fact. Doesn't mean the officer was wrong/right, the driver was wrong/right, but rather what type of mood the judge is in that day.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:32 PM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

If you feel like fighting it by all means fight it. The officer has to show up to court for them to in-force the ticket. The cop will not be paid for his time to got to court. If it were me i would just pay the ticket and go on with life. If he wrote it for 9 over your in the clear with your insurance.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Jasoon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rneely2111
Okay I live in Georgia and was on my way to NC going with the flow of traffic. Well, everyone is coming up on a hill and breaks because cops on the other side of the hill has 5-6 cars pulled over, I however did not break soon enough! Next thing I know I have a charger behind me with blue lights. He said he clocked me going 78 in a 60 zone. When he comes back with the ticket he says he dropped it in half and put that I was going 69 in a 60 zone. Do I have any options that will not involve insurance going up?

79 in a 60, damm man where's the fire? LOL. just kidding.

Meet with the prosecutor 1 hour before court, ask to plead to a non-moving offense as in a faulty equipment charge. You will have to pay a little more, but it's better than a speeding ticket.

Oh, and don't be all that to the prosecutor or the judge or you'll have the fine and the points.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by a_penquin
I got hit by the state for 51 in a 45, it was $150 and yes this is in GA. I hate the state police......
Oh man 51 in a 45, that sux, you were just tearing up the road.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:42 PM
rneely2111
2nd Gear Member

LOL no fire....I just dont want my ins to go up is all.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:45 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfire
Oh man 51 in a 45, that sux, you were just tearing up the road.
yea, the one time I couldnt fight him since my gps was off on the road everyone dose 55-60 on lol. Most expensive taco bell run I ever had, and your damn right I savored that taco
Old 12-27-2009, 09:49 PM
HeadonaStick
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz
Can't speak for GA, but in PA this rarely happens. At least around my neck of the woods. I have several friends and family members who are all cops, and they always laugh at the statement that the cop will rarely show up and therefore have the ticket dropped. They are at court 99% of the time, and the judge will also take the officers word over the civilians.
I can't speak to whether or not the police will show up in every state, but in both Minnesota and Wisconsin it is rare that the officer shows for a standard speeding ticket - every time someone I know has taken the time to go to all the pre-trial nonsense and then go to court their cases have been dismissed because the officer failed to appear. It also depends on the agency - you are far more likely to see a State Trooper in court than a local officer.

Glassback09, I simply can't believe that is true in all jurisdictions. I have seen too many officers fail to appear. I know it is anecdotal evidence, but it has happened 100% of the time in my experience.

Also, I'm not sure where the notion that a judge will take an officer's word over a civilian's, but that is not true. An officer is required to produce evidence that a crime or infraction was committed. His or her word isn't enough.

Again, this is for my area but usually if you're not feeding the judge a line of bull they will drop the fine and eliminate the points that would otherwise increase your insurance. Also, depending how long you've been with your insurance company they may not even know you have the points. Typically after a year or so of good driving, insurance companies around here stop checking every persons license for points.

Not sure if any of this helped, since we're in two different states but good luck.
I agree here. I have never fought a ticket I earned, but I do show up for the first court date and plead no contest. I have always had very good luck having the offense reduced. They don't want to take up your time or theirs, and I believe the appreciate the honesty.

To be honest, if you earned the ticket I'd just take your medicine and pay up. Maybe go to the first court date and plead no contest.
jz
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rneely2111
LOL no fire....I just dont want my ins to go up is all.
again this is tough because you're asking about GA and many responses myself included are not in GA. The most I can say, as far as PA goes, is the ticket will tell you if it carries points. If it does not carry points then the officer did you a favor, I'd pay it and move on with life. If it carries points, you can try fighting it or see if they will offer a plea bargain. In PA we have the option if given to us by the judge to plead guilty to driving 5mph over. It's a minimal fine, and has no points.

Its funny how different the states are. Someone said the officer does not get paid ot for showing up in court. They do here, guess that's why they go 99% of the time.

Either way, I hope you make out ok. It would suck for your insurance to go up.
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

This should ease your mind a little

Georgia Drivers License-Georgia Ticket

Georgia Traffic Courts are not the friendliest places to spend your time. Most of the clerks of court are not helpful if you can even get them on the phone. In most states you first continuance is almost automatic but most Georgia courts require some type of evidence that you cannot appear.
Your first appearance is just an arraignment and the officer may or may not be there. The judge will allow you to enter a plea and pay your fine so take cash since they will not accept a check. Most courts will offer to reduce your speed by 3 to 5 mph in return for a guilty plea. This is important since a 14mph or under speeeding ticket will not be posted to your record and not increase your insurance premiums.

http://www.speedingticketcentral.com...ng-ticket.html
Old 12-27-2009, 09:55 PM
rneely2111
2nd Gear Member

Funny thing is this happened in South Carolina. I live in GA and was heading to NC.

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket, any options?