Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding Ticket, any options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 10:06 PM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

Sorry bout that. Well NC is a pretty up tight state when it comes to driving offenses. regardless you dont' have anything to worry about when it comes to being on your record. It would be a mess to fight it. you would have to travel back to NC to go to court(which you could still end up paying the fine). I would just pay it.

Originally Posted by rneely2111
Funny thing is this happened in South Carolina. I live in GA and was heading to NC.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:06 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

The cop cut you a break by writing that you were just going 69. I assume that you got this ticket far away from home. Fighting it would mean having to travel back for the court hearing. I'd probably just pay it. My nephew is an Atlanta cop. Cops get comp time for appearing in court. It's much easier duty to sit inside in a comfy chair than to be out in the weather in the a cruiser. They ALWAYS show up for court.

A few months ago I got a ticket for going 75 mph on the Perimeter Highway in Atlanta. If you've ever driven this route, you know that everybody drives faster than that. I had tailgaters behind me pushing me forward and of course I was the one to get pulled over. Since this was 20 mph over the posted speed limit, it cost me $490.

BTW, remember that the new "Superspeeder Law" goes into effect on Jan. 1 in Georgia. It tacks on an extra $200 to anyone caught going more than 85 miles per hour on multiple-lane highways or more than 75 miles per hour on two-lane roads.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:10 PM
rneely2111
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I know about the super speeders law...I may just go ahead and pay it since the majority of you all are saying that it may not go on my record. But SC State Troopers were pulling everyone over the day after christmas, so I guess I dont feel too bad.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:47 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

This is the online traffic school I used. www.idrivesafely.com
Old 12-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Think about this, and I speak from ALOT of experience.

The officer was nice enough to give a break from 78 to 69. When you go to court to testify, all he has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt is that you were going 69 mph. Actually, all he has to prove is you were going 61 mph since the limit was 60 mph. The officer probably knows that 70 in a 60 (within his jurisdiction) is a cut off for a certain step in the fine, and/or a deciding factor if you can go to traffic school. During a court trail, you can be found guilty of anything proven. So if he testifies to 78 in a 60, which he will, then it's entirely possible for you to walk out with a bigger fine.

I worked in several courts throughout CA and have seen this happen ALOT and OFTEN. Typically a person comes in for 99mph ticket. At 101 mph, it's a different violation which is 2 points, 30 day suspension and anywhere from $750 to $2500 depending on the speed and driving history. I saw many people fight their 99 mph ticket, when they were going 101+, and when the officer testified he told the entire story, which included the person following too close, making unsafe lane changes, being verbally abusive, or whatever the other violations were that the person recieved a verbal warning for.

The Judge finds the perons guilty of everything and now the guy turned his $375 ticket (99mph in a 70 mph zone) into a $1000 ticket, no traffic school, because you can't go for tickets over 100 mph in CA , and 3-4 points on the record.

The moral of the story, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth." Pay your ticket and be thnankful the officer didn't pinch you for the entire thing.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

and

Sorry you got a ticket.

It sucks.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

It depends on how often you get tickets and your age. I've gotten a few tickets in my life and my insurance never went up. I'm 35 years old and I get a ticket on average maybe every 6-7 years. I just pay them and shrug it off. As my Dad used to say, "Its the law of averages, your number will eventually come up."
Old 12-27-2009, 11:17 PM
rneely2111
2nd Gear Member

First ticket was at 18. This ticket 25, and my first in a Mustang. I would like to think of myself as a pretty cautious driver. I wanted to get the opinion of my fellow mustang owners. So I am going to just pay the fine and thank God he cut it in half from 18 to 9.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:33 PM
OCLandspeeder
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
The moral of the story, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth." Pay your ticket and be thnankful the officer didn't pinch you for the entire thing.
I'm sorry but, just because this one person made an azz of himself (no pun intended), doesn't mean we should all just bend over for the revenue collectors.

By all means fight that ticket!

The last ticket I got in SoCal I was on my sportbike and actually doing 55 in a 55! Wow! Imagine that! I saw the cop sitting by the side of the road as I was cruising along at 55. This A-hole turned around, followed me for half a mile, then pulled me over and accused me of doing 65! Like, I was going to speed while he was behind me waiting for me to make a move! What a jack-aZZ! Then he proceeded to lie to me and make up the 65 in a 55 violation to fill the ailing CA state fund.

So maybe not all cops are liars like the one I encountered. But there are enough of them out there who make things up, or fudge the truth in order to fill their citation booklet in the name of "safety". We all know it's BS anyway! Safety? How dangerous is it when everyone is cruising at 75 and you are going along with the flow of traffic? It's more dangerous to attempt to do 65 than it is to go with the flow. It's all about revenue generation. At one time a long, long, LONG time ago it was about safety. But the cities, counties, and states, as well as the cops, got used to the steady revenue that speeding tickets delivered. Now it's a business interprise the these organizations can't live without!

If you get a BS ticket, fight it! Don't bend over backwards so they can take your money.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rneely2111
First ticket was at 18. This ticket 25, and my first in a Mustang. I would like to think of myself as a pretty cautious driver. I wanted to get the opinion of my fellow mustang owners. So I am going to just pay the fine and thank God he cut it in half from 18 to 9.
Yeah if you haven't had a ticket in that long, just pay the sucker and move on bud. I doubt your insurance will go up for that single occurrence... You've admitted you were speeding. You WERE after all breaking the law. This is how I've looked at it in the past. If I got a bogus ticket or was wrongly accused, I'd fight it, but in all cases I was in fact breaking the law.

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket, any options?