Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change with royal purple, why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 03:24 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
+1

So why do I use Amsoil in the Stang and M1 in the SUV? Other than marketing and extending my change frequencies, beats the heck out of me...
Because of all that money they waste marketing it to us
Old 01-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Redsox401
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fort LiquordaleGT
count em, 11, yup 11 stangs in my family at some point. Your analogy is not even remotely accurate, I'm not talking about abusing our cars, I"m talking about using common sense. There is nothing special about the stang to warrant the stupidity found on this site when it comes to maintenance. I never advocated abusing our cars, simply saying, it's a car, just like a Honda, would you change the rear fluid or tranny fluid on a 2006 Honda? No, so why would you do it on a 2006 Stang? Does a Stang warrant this? Nope.
OP dont listen to this dude, at least 80% of the IDIOTS on this forum have moded stangs and half of them take them to the track, so when it comes to maintenance they dont treat their cars like stock so thats why people change at 3000 and use high grade oil. mabey if Fort LiquordaleGT changed his other 11 stangs oil at 3000 he wouldnt need so many.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Redsox401
...at least 80% of the IDIOTS on this forum have moded stangs and half of them take them to the track,...
I wasn't aware that 40% of the forum members take their cars to the track. Wow. One idiot can learn something new every day from another idiot.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Redsox401
2nd Gear Member

Also my dad has a 67 GT 350 that he bought new. He must of been an IDIOT in his time because he babied it and now it still looks and runs perfect. One day it will be mine and then my sons, so i say again with your reasoning you may as well drive as fast as you can over speed bumps because in ten years who cares about the S197. Mabey the Stang community in the 70s said who cares about the fastbacks the mustang 2 is coming out soon so lets all ignore the up keep on our cars!!!
Old 01-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Redsox401
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I wasn't aware that 40% of the forum members take their cars to the track. Wow. One idiot can learn something new every day from another idiot.
i bet if you polled the members on who at one point had there car on a track or raced on the street, which meet the same driving conditions, it would be close.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:49 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

here is one persons experience with it

https://mustangforums.com/forum/oil-...ustang-gt.html
Old 01-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Redsox401
2nd Gear Member

i just put in new cams and i got the old ones in the garage so now im going home to check them out. they were only in for 22K and used RP the whole time so i dont expect to see much...but that was a good thread.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:15 PM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

I believe we mod our cars, some more than others, is because it not only brings us together in camaraderie but also makes us unique. The man with the S197 with trufiber body panels, custom paint, and aftermarket, everything, and the man with the nearly stock S197 with nothing but a CAI and tune, Louvres, and stripes, have something to talk about. They have something in common, but in that common ground is uniqueness. Sure, the guy with the trufiber's car is worth around 5 times as much more than the car is worth, but it's fashionably so. (sometimes!) And usual on this forum. We all share a burning passion with this classic pony car and I'm sure, in several years, our cars will be regarded as classics such as those that started the mustang heritage, even those who put all the aftermarket parts on. I mean, there's so much beautiful diversity on this site, from Cutterwolf to Xeno and Mellowyellow to Tylus. And these people are HARDLY idiots. They definitely know what they're talking about, and again, they all share passion for their cars, and there's nothing wrong with putting high grade oil in your car because you love it and want the best for it. It's not idiotic at all. Sure, I don't take the car out to the track, nor do I go to shows yet. But I love the feeling of punching it off the line at that empty, unpoliced stop sign in my town. Definitely gives me the chills, and my car only has about 340 HP! And every time I put something new on my car, it makes it seem brand new again. It's not your place to call us idiots if you don't care about your Mustangs. So. Anyone else see a difference with Royal Purple?
Old 01-04-2010, 04:17 PM
jobeonnet
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadyNinja
couldn't of said it better myself.
I wish more companies would spend less on marketing , and more on making the products better.
and less expensive. k&n filter $50 is just crazy even if it lasts a lifetime and $8 a quart for oil is extremely high. IMO
Old 01-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I've owned and maintained over a dozen cars. Of those, more than 4 of them have seen over 200,000 miles with NO oil related issues; no compression issues, no leaks, no consumption. 3 of those used dino oil at 3,000 - 4,000 mile changes. The other 1 use M1 at a 10,000 mile oil change frequency. In addition to those 4, I've had 4 others that went between 150,000 and 200,000 miles with the same NON-issues; 3 on dino and 1 on M1; same frequencies for the oil type.

As long as my engine runs fine just like my previous vehicles, will I be concerned about the looks of my 4.6L engine internals at 150,000 or more miles? I probably won't even own it anymore by then. Do you think anyone else will care? If you can afford RP or Amsoil, fine. I can and I do in the Stang just because I want a "better" oil for the sole purpose of 8,000 - 10,000 mile oil change frequencies, period.

People need to look at how they drive their car (frequent short trips, frequent stop and go city driving, track, ambient conditions, etc) and determine whats best for them. Just picking an oil because people say it's the "best" (I hate that fu*king 4-letter word) is pretty idiotic, IMO. Changing your oil twice as often using oil twice as expensive is a bit silly IF you don't need it (and I don't mind being "a bit silly"). There are millions of vehicles in operation running anything other than RP, Amsoil and other boutique oils that will serve their owners equally well as our Stangs with whatever we run in them.

Quick Reply: Oil change with royal purple, why?