Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change with royal purple, why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fort LiquordaleGT
. . . I'm not talking about abusing our cars, I"m talking about using common sense. There is nothing special about the stang to warrant the stupidity found on this site when it comes to maintenance. I never advocated abusing our cars, simply saying, it's a car, just like a Honda, would you change the rear fluid or tranny fluid on a 2006 Honda? No, so why would you do it on a 2006 Stang? Does a Stang warrant this? Nope.
Perhaps you no longer look at a Mustang as anything special. Fine, I can live with that. But "common sense" isn't just a catch-phrase to throw out because you happen to disagree. The word "common" implies having basis in more than one opinion.

I think even you might have to admit that the typical Mustang gets driven a little harder than the average Honda (leaving the S2k out of it for now). Certainly the average GT does. And with more severe driving comes legitimate basis for adhering to a more rigorous maintenance schedule. Perhaps people who have rebuilt/assembled their own engines/transmissions/axles have a little better "feel" for this than those who haven't. Little bits of "side knowledge" that you come by when you do most of your own automotive repair/maintenance/modification work instead of farming it out.

The existence of the S2k is the main reason I'm letting you slide by on the "rear fluid" with respect to Honda comment.

Norm
Old 01-06-2010, 10:46 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Mobile 1 vs. Royal Purple. Go!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

As for changing trans/diff fluids....I swapped both. The rear diff because a gearset went in. It had to be done and I just as soon put the good stuff (amsoil severe gear) back in. Transmission because it was clunky and now immensely smoother with royal purple synchromax in it. Like butta .
Did they "need" to be changed? no.

The Royal Purple will serve you well in the long run.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:05 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by SilasX93
I believe we mod our cars, some more than others, is because it not only brings us together in camaraderie but also makes us unique. The man with the S197 with trufiber body panels, custom paint, and aftermarket, everything, and the man with the nearly stock S197 with nothing but a CAI and tune, Louvres, and stripes, have something to talk about. They have something in common, but in that common ground is uniqueness. Sure, the guy with the trufiber's car is worth around 5 times as much more than the car is worth, but it's fashionably so. (sometimes!) And usual on this forum. We all share a burning passion with this classic pony car and I'm sure, in several years, our cars will be regarded as classics such as those that started the mustang heritage, even those who put all the aftermarket parts on. I mean, there's so much beautiful diversity on this site, from Cutterwolf to Xeno and Mellowyellow to Tylus. And these people are HARDLY idiots. They definitely know what they're talking about, and again, they all share passion for their cars, and there's nothing wrong with putting high grade oil in your car because you love it and want the best for it. It's not idiotic at all. Sure, I don't take the car out to the track, nor do I go to shows yet. But I love the feeling of punching it off the line at that empty, unpoliced stop sign in my town. Definitely gives me the chills, and my car only has about 340 HP! And every time I put something new on my car, it makes it seem brand new again. It's not your place to call us idiots if you don't care about your Mustangs. So. Anyone else see a difference with Royal Purple?
what mods do you have to get that number?

Oh and i agree that you dont need to change out the rear end and tranny fluids but most of us do because we can and its not like you are spending $1000 to do it.

Last edited by howarmat; 01-06-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:16 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

I bought some "Motorcraft" synthetic blend for $11.50 at Wal-Mart the other day. 5 quarts of this stuff. Yeah! I'm used to buying expensive oil for my previous cars. I felt so dirty. So exhilarating.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by replica
I bought some "Motorcraft" synthetic blend for $11.50 at Wal-Mart the other day. 5 quarts of this stuff. Yeah! I'm used to buying expensive oil for my previous cars. I felt so dirty. So exhilarating.
Yeah, I do the same for the g/f's V6 Pony and, mainly because of her driving style, I change her oil at a short 5,000 miles. No sense spending $22 or more every few months when $11.50 plus a quart works just fine. That much more $$ for the "pretty" mods that she wants.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:09 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

I decided to go with RP 5w-20 in my new motor now that it's broken in.

Here's the VOA from Blackstone. Notice the TBN of 14

Old 01-07-2010, 09:06 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Use whatever oil gives you peace of mind. The motor will last a long time if you just change at recommended intervals with the recommended lube.

Don't listen to that Fort Douche guy...he is a depressed troll.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

I use Royal Purple and when I took the heads off I was truly impressed how clean and non-wearing the motor looked. sorry no photos.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:29 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

couldn't justify using anything other than penzoil platinum on my 08 gt....$21 bucks at wally world and a motorcraft filter. now the 93 cobra is different, she is blown and sees the track more than the street....the 93 cobra R has everything amsoil, justified because they are so rare and i plan on keeping it forever. only 34k documented miles. i am the third owner. she is 100% stock down to the mufflers!

Quick Reply: Oil change with royal purple, why?