Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How big of a difference does Gas make?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:36 PM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

Don't forget the 370z has a 6 spd tranny also.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

all right, thanks guys.

the purpose of the thread was not why he pulled from me but the difference in octane rating. i know ill have the faster car once i start my modding

i don't think the 6 speed tranny has much to do with anything. the only advantages the 370z has on the stang is 200 lbs and 17 hp. which is easily made up for with my extra 50 ft-lb of TQ.

Last edited by Lil_Chef; 01-19-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:57 PM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lil_Chef
all right, thanks guys.

the purpose of the thread was not why he pulled from me but the difference in octane rating. i know ill have the faster car once i start my modding

i don't think the 6 speed tranny has much to do with anything. the only advantages the 370z has on the stang is 200 lbs and 17 hp. which is easily made up for with my extra 50 ft-lb of TQ.
using a race against another car as your reason for questioning octane ratings make that a part of this discussion.

your driving habits are why he's pulling on you. you're doing your motor a disservice by shifting below 4k. the motors are broken in from the factory for one... and two, when you break in a motor you do so at various RPM's. by keeping it under 4k, in theory, your car will not perform as well across the RPM range.

there is a lot of debate regarding break in. many suggest a hard break in... ie: drive it like you normally would. this helps every wear in at the expected use.

further, i wasn't aware that on the stock factory computer tunes that 87 and 91+ tunes would result in the same performance. something tells me (common sense) that that would be incorrect.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:00 PM
effin' speedracer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
Im pretty sure that the 370z is lighter and with the extra HP has a couple tenths in the quarter mile

and since you wont take the car about 4k grand this thread is now useless as its obviously why you can beat the car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfmkwY-Q_oM
Old 01-19-2010, 06:11 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

^^^ thats one of the reviews i was referencing, the two cars are almost identical when it comes to performance.

i would rather not get into the breaking in debate, i am using the technique that my dad taught me. as i said in my original post it was a half-hearted race i never went above 55(in a 45) as i think street racing is wrong.

scapegoat are you saying that there should be a hp difference between the two octane ratings? while small i think there is maybe a 10hp ish difference
Old 01-19-2010, 06:20 PM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lil_Chef
^^^ thats one of the reviews i was referencing, the two cars are almost identical when it comes to performance.

i would rather not get into the breaking in debate, i am using the technique that my dad taught me. as i said in my original post it was a half-hearted race i never went above 55(in a 45) as i think street racing is wrong.

scapegoat are you saying that there should be a hp difference between the two octane ratings? while small i think there is maybe a 10hp ish difference
there is no reason to break an engine in anymore. it comes broken in from the factory. the rest of the drivetrain should hold up just fine to hard driving off the showroom floor, and if it doesn't its a warranty issue and would have broken anyway. so drive your car however you want

while i'm not a mechanic in any way shape or form, a higher octane is going to give you a "bigger bang"... its going to perform better than 87 octane.

I would have assumed that a 93 tune from the factory is going to run more aggressively than its 87 factory tune. it just doesn't make sense to me that both tunes would result in 315bhp.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:36 PM
poopsidoo
1st Gear Member

Default octane?

Wait a minute. The 2010 manual says engine set up for 87 octane, but use 91 for maximum performance. It that bullcrap, or what?????
Old 01-19-2010, 06:41 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

I did a 87 tune due to not wanting to run the higher cost 93, but if I run 93 on my 87 tune runs great, with the jlt the size of the thing going from 85 mm (stock) to 110mm I had to get a custom tune so did 87, 315 hp on the 2010 as we know is fly wheel that no one goes by but Ford to intice us, like the 2011 which say over 400 hp but is going to be more like 380, just like mine rated at 315, was 282, but after 87 tune here is my dyno sheet, with a 93 it would go over 300, hope helps or just good info

Old 01-19-2010, 06:41 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by effin' speedracer
right they are close, but i know a couple tests also had the z down to 13.2-3 range. Now i know the mustang can do the same. 13.4 was done stock with the 05-09 model too. In general the z is lighter a little more HP and along with the tranny should be slightly faster than the mustang
Old 01-19-2010, 06:44 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

from the manual,,,,,,,,,,

Octane recommendations (4.6L V8 engine)
Your vehicle will run normally on 87 octane regular fuel without
damaging the engine, but premium fuel with an octane rating of 91
(R+M)/2 or higher is recommended for best overall performance.

Quick Reply: How big of a difference does Gas make?