Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for V6 owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 01:13 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

i paid as much for my premium pony package convertible as a base gt cost new. I just liked the look and gas was 4 bucks a gallon and every possible mpg extra on my mustang appealed to me...
Old 01-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Wes_T
1st Gear Member

My car was my wife's car for the first 4 years of it's life. We bought in 2005 when the new body style just came out. As I remember we were looking at a Windvale Blue GT, I test drove it because my wife didn't have any experience with a manual transmission. We both loved the car, but at the end of the test drive on the way back into the dealership she saw the Sonic blue car. Well that was it. Sonic was an auto and she liked the color even better. (No disrespect Oddysey) :-)
5 years later the mustang is my hobby car, and she's driving a BMW now. (booo). I'd love to have that Windvale GT with a stick now, but the little 6'er is paid for, a ton of fun to work on, and I know it's entire service record and how well it's been cared for.
Even with a S/C I know I'll never really compete with heavily moded GT's I see at the track, but I'm ok with that, I couldn't justify throwing that kind of money into any car to get to 600+ HP. Like someone else said above, it's a Mustang either way and that's what counts.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Simple (I previously owned a V6 and now have a GT):

Insurance cost
Gas

GT at 26 was going to cost me nearly $2800 in insurance a year, my v6 was only $1,200 with the identical coverages.

GT at 36 is only costing me $1,300 a year

Gas cost no longer an issue.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:27 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Main Point: Even If I had bought a GT I would have made EVERY SINGLE modification that I've made to my V6. Not a single mod that I've made was made to replicate a GT.

I don't want my car to sound or drive like a GT.

If I wanted a GT I would've bought one.

I like the front end on my V6 better than those of the GTs.

With what I paid for my Premium Pony Package I could've bought a GT easily (paid close to 34k for my V6).

Don't think that because someone has a V6 that they couldn't afford a GT. You're jumping to conclusions if you think that. I'm sure there are SOME that bought a lower end V6 because it was cheaper, but that doesn't apply to everyone.

Last edited by discodave; 01-22-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:32 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by discodave
(paid close to 34k for my V6).
Woah!

My GT, at just a year old with 17k miles was $19K. I remember the base GT's going for about $23,000.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:34 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by replica
Woah!

My GT, at just a year old with 17k miles was $19K. I remember the base GT's going for about $23,000.
Exactly..... I got just about every option you could get in a V6 mustang. Add five grande just for the convertible alone....
Old 01-22-2010, 01:48 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Ouch, that is a lot.

Just to point a few things out so this thread stays calm. Those in this thread refering to their v6 (beating) a GT, is talking a modified V6 vs a stock (or very mildly) modified GT. Yes we are aware that you can spend very little and make the GT faster. It isn't about which is faster, it is about wanting that 300hp feeling on a V6.

And Wes_T, it is ok, not everyone can be perfect
Old 01-22-2010, 02:14 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MoneyShot
my car is my daily driver,the car itself was cheaper, its what was available, i needed the cheaper insurance and higher MPG. as far as sinking "thousands" into it, a CAI, gt sways, a gt muffler bosch plat. IR sparkplugs ran me a total of about $300 (and getting about 24 mpg). but one of the biggest, and maybe the dumbest reason is that it is less of a temptation to race people and to speed. As kevinmalec hopefully already knows, Georgia has passed a new "super speeder" law. this tacks an extra $200 bux to the already outrageous ticket fines here if caught going just 75mph or higher...
Yep, I am fully aware of the new "super speeder" law here in GA. Fortunately, I travel only 3.7 miles to work and back and drive all back roads. I barely drive over 45 MPH. LOL
Old 01-22-2010, 02:19 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NOLA26
I My question is that if you wanted more power why did you get the V6 and not the GT?
The same can be asked to those who mod their GT, why not just buy the Cobra?
Its all in preference. I have both a V6 and a GT and would rather mod the v6 for the simple fact that there is no challenge to making a V8 fast.

Last edited by PNYXPRESS; 01-22-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:32 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by discodave
Main Point: Even If I had bought a GT I would have made EVERY SINGLE modification that I've made to my V6. Not a single mod that I've made was made to replicate a GT.

I don't want my car to sound or drive like a GT.

If I wanted a GT I would've bought one.

I like the front end on my V6 better than those of the GTs.

With what I paid for my Premium Pony Package I could've bought a GT easily (paid close to 34k for my V6).

Don't think that because someone has a V6 that they couldn't afford a GT. You're jumping to conclusions if you think that. I'm sure there are SOME that bought a lower end V6 because it was cheaper, but that doesn't apply to everyone.
Wow, that is a lot, but verts are more expensive anyway.
You are correct that many of us could afford the GT just as easily, but chose the V6. I just like the way the Pony Package looked and thought it looked better than the GT with the big Fog lights in the grill. Even my husband was surprised but later told me that he was proud that I didn't get the GT.

Quick Reply: Question for V6 owners