Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The immaculate S197?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 11:20 AM
killerkx327
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilasX93
So. I'm wondering what the steps would need to be in order to build up an S197 to OUTPERFORM the 1000-hp UBB Mustang or exotic cars such as the Bugatti Veyron or Lamborghini Murcielago. I imagine a 5.4L Aluminum Crate Block twin-turbo would do the job as far as the engine goes? What about the intake, suspension, handling, driveshaft, axle, computer, wheel/tire, brake, exhaust, weight savings, and exterior modifications? I know that there are different modifications depending on what kind performance you're looking for, but...could you do all this WHILE MAINTAINING THE CAR AS STREET-FRIENDLY? I imagine undertaking this would be a 100k+ project, but I'm bored, so I figured I'd start a hypothetical thread on it just for kicks.

Again, I want everyone's opinion on:
-Engine
-F/I Setup
-Engine Mods
-Intake
-Driveshaft
-Axles
-Transmission
-Exhaust
-Suspension
-Wheel/Tire
-Brakes
-Handling
-Weight Savings
-Exterior(?)

I don't post on this site to often, but this topic kind of intrigued me as i have often thought about building top level world beaters out of a mustang myself!
Now what you're proposing as not that far fetched and i believe could be easily attained.
build a mustang that can acchieve exotic level performance or better and still do it for less then a lamborghini would cost.
I think you're on the right track and it definately wouldn't take as much as one might think to drethrone the mighty bugatti or lambo. theres already vehicles made that well surpass those two vehicles and they are produced here in the states.
and heres the fastest production car in the world built by shelby supercars.
the SSC EARO
http://www.shelbysupercars.com/index.php

now to build a mustang with todays technology to capture the performance of these exoctics we're talking about wouldn't take to much.
If you're going to use the S197 platform,i would start by putting it on a diet and find a few hundred pounds to shave. which could easily be done. then i would work on better weight distribution, and build a very light all aluminum 5.4 DOHC motor with twin turbos.
a motor like that can easily make over 1000hp and still let grandma drive it to the grocery store, then add a nice 6 speed behind it. and there area couple units on the market that can handle the task.
you'd need to have a very well thought out suspension and brake package.
it won't take a lot to outperform these other cars we are talking about. the mustang has a distinct weight advantage over most of the top level exotic sports cars out there. it just needs the power,handling and brakes to go with out.
and i think it could all be done for less then $150k.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:24 AM
killerkx327
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ski
Suggest that you research the current Bugatti design to understand what's involved in making a 1000 hp vehicle into a daily driver. (Note: Its biggest design obstacle was devising a system that had sufficient capacity to adequately cool the engine at max power while retaining an aerodynamic body shape.)

thats the bugatti you're talking about. of course they had a hard time figuring out how to keep it cool. look at the design of the car. there is no frontal area for them to funnel the air through. then look at the front of the mustang plenty of coling area. and a twin turbo 5.4 making a 1000+ hp would easily keep cool under normal driving conditions.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:18 PM
travis5049
1st Gear Member

Default no way

With the aerodynamics of the car it would be damn near impossibe without adding very special ground effects and changing the cars look, think nascar. Thats what ford built the Ford GT for
Old 01-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

ya, they say that my harddrive is burnt, and best buy says they can transfer all my pics for 100 dollars... i havent done it yet, but i need to...

and yes our cars are not the most aerodynamic thing, our fronts our flat and catch alot of air, i think thats why we have alot of hood float problems. but i would imagine if u get really low ground effects, drop it a couple inches, and maybe create a air channel that goes from the lower air damn and channeled over the hood.

btw i found that article... http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com...e-mustang.html
Old 01-23-2010, 11:34 PM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

An 1000hp mustang is possible without it being an ugly nascar. In fact, I don't even think drastic ground effects are needed. I think it just needs a custom air channel like Red Beast said and hood pins to prevent hood lift.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:04 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

it would be nearly impossible for a mustang to be anywhere near the realm of performance offered by the veyron, its just not aerodynamic enough, sure you can make it fast, but it'll never do 220+
Old 01-24-2010, 12:11 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by killerkx327
thats the bugatti you're talking about. of course they had a hard time figuring out how to keep it cool. look at the design of the car. there is no frontal area for them to funnel the air through. then look at the front of the mustang plenty of coling area. and a twin turbo 5.4 making a 1000+ hp would easily keep cool under normal driving conditions.
You're missing the forest for the trees.
A 1000 hp vehicle is obviously not going to be driven at normal speeds 100% of the time. Sometimes it will be driven at triple digit speeds.
A Bugatti would eat your proposed vehicle's lunch at those speeds.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:06 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

You have 2 things going on here.

A) 1000 HP mustang...thats no problem at all, it can be done rather easily in fact, yes it takes money but i know they are out there right now.

B) A car that can keep up with the likes of Bugatti or Lamborghini. this just isnt going to happen really. They are super cars that are meant for high end speed. so without a mustang complete body change, you wont be able to get it up there safely. Its not meant for it.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:34 PM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

I'm sure it's possible without a complete overhaul of the body. Sure, let's go ground effects and air routes. What sort of body change do you think this thing would need?
Old 01-24-2010, 05:30 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Here is one that still can't top the Bugatti, Saleen s7, or many others, and the Bugatti is still a very streetable car. I would also bet that this stang has some very high gears to get it up to this speed, and god knows how much money it took.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...37.html?page=9

Quick Reply: The immaculate S197?