Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extremely happy after going back to catted midpipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:06 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by discodave
The more I read the reviews on Americanmuscle's site on the SLP loudmouths, the more I'm thinking about getting them. Does anyone know if there's a huge difference between the loudmouths and the boom tubes?

Between the two, boomtubes win. They make a deeper smoother sound. LM sound ok with stock cats, but high flows or O/R and they are crap.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:26 AM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

OP, that is the exact setup i was saving for. not sure if this is enough to talk me out of it, but been really want the pypes o/r h with cat back boom tube system. then common sense said to use mac prochamer with the boomtubes but the idea of o/h still sounds nice. really wish i could find a sound clip of this setup
Old 01-25-2010, 10:53 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I too was in heaven when I swapped out my loud exhaust for more a more tame sound. I'm running stock mufflers with catted Bassani X and BBK shorty headers. It is plenty loud and the tone is great.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:24 AM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by funtimesalways
OP, that is the exact setup i was saving for. not sure if this is enough to talk me out of it, but been really want the pypes o/r h with cat back boom tube system. then common sense said to use mac prochamer with the boomtubes but the idea of o/h still sounds nice. really wish i could find a sound clip of this setup

Check my sig for the boomtube - o/rh setup. This is with the resonators installed but you should get the idea
Old 01-25-2010, 11:26 AM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by thewarmachine
I too was in heaven when I swapped out my loud exhaust for more a more tame sound. I'm running stock mufflers with catted Bassani X and BBK shorty headers. It is plenty loud and the tone is great.

Yea it's nice to actually be able to hear the TONE of my exhaust now instead of just the volume! I forgot how good these boomtubes actually sound!!
Old 01-25-2010, 11:46 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
Between the two, boomtubes win. They make a deeper smoother sound. LM sound ok with stock cats, but high flows or O/R and they are crap.
I just installed the SLP LM. With the prochamber and hi-flows it sounds awesome. It's a little louder and has a deeper tone than the stock catted H.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:51 AM
white_lightning
2nd Gear Member

to the OP; I'm not sure what your setup sounds like but I have Corsa Sports and a stainless Bassani X pipe with high flow cats. I've had the X pipe for just over a year now, and just over the weekend started to think about going to something more mellow...replacing the X with an H or something.

Cold starts in the morning have me reaching for the volume dial, even when the stereo isnt on to turn down the noise.

Last edited by white_lightning; 01-25-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:07 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gman73
I just installed the SLP LM. With the prochamber and hi-flows it sounds awesome. It's a little louder and has a deeper tone than the stock catted H.

Well yeah with the prochamber it's different. I was mainly thinking of the typical H or X.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:56 PM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by white_lightning
to the OP; I'm not sure what your setup sounds like but I have Corsa Sports and a stainless Bassani X pipe with high flow cats. I've had the X pipe for just over a year now, and just over the weekend started to think about going to something more mellow...replacing the X with an H or something.

Cold starts in the morning have me reaching for the volume dial, even when the stereo isnt on to turn down the noise and I'm only 26!

My only concern is losing HP...I know this sounds ridiculous but I used to run consistent 14.40 at 99mph (3500 feet) and with the exhaust mods I dropped it to 14.22 at 100.5mph. Maybe it was in the driver, but i'd rather deal with noise then lsow my car down!
Well, since I don't race, a minimal drop in HP doesn't bother me TOO much, but I can't see how that would be on your mind. Mine does seem to be a bit stronger down low. Does adding cats (backpressure) add a bit of low end torque or is it in my head?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Fresh_GT
2nd Gear Member

Thats the problem with cars like these, You want it deep and powerful sounding, but not annoying over time and still drivable. In the end you end up compromising with something thats slightly annoying and looses a lot of the deep sound you really want.

Thats why I got myself some electronic exhaust cutouts. I can either run super awesome deep V8 loudness, then flip a switch when driving home at 4 AM. Best of both worlds. =D

Quick Reply: Extremely happy after going back to catted midpipe