Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extremely happy after going back to catted midpipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:22 AM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

Default Extremely happy after going back to catted midpipe

So about a year and a half ago, I added an o/r h to my boomtubes and thought I was in heaven! I did have to get resonators welded in because it was a bit much. However, there were new noises, vibrations, minor exaust leaks, etc that I guess I blocked out until I got used to them.

Well, I just put my stock H back on yesterday, and I was simply amazed! I forgot my car could sound/behave this smooth. It seemed to take 5 years off of my cars life! It doesn't sound like a tugboat on startup anymore, I can actually hear my CAI when I gun it, countless vibrations and rattles are gone, and no more drone! Also, maybe it's because I still have the resonators installed.....but this thing purrs!! It sounds insanely smooth with the the catted boomtubes. It seemed to have deepened them and taken out ALL of the rasp.

Anyone else have this effect after going back to catted? I hope this isn't a sign of me getting soft in my old age.....I'm about to turn over 30!!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:01 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Yes, stock cats with boomtubes is the near perfect sound.

I lost that with my Kooks LT/Kooks high-flow cat H. It sounds very close to an O/R setup would. I can't (and don't want to) put my stock cats back on b/c of my headers so I'm looking into new mufflers...again. :/
Old 01-25-2010, 09:04 AM
replica
4th Gear Member

The drone from my Boom tubes is starting to irritate me. They didn't drone at first, now, however, I kinda wish I'd have gone with Corsas. The rest of my exhaust is stock aside from the boom tubes.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:04 AM
CalmLikeaBomb
2nd Gear Member

I have an offroad H with resonated SLP Loudmouths (pypes M-80)

I enjoy it, but Ive been considering going back.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:28 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

This is quickly turning into a Boom Tubes thread.... I currently have the Boom Tubes and love them but am looking for something more aggressive that doesn't sound overly aggressive. The boom tubes are great and i love the sound but i want something "meaner", but not something that is just loud for the sake of being loud. Any ideas out there? SLP loudmouths? Ever heard of the "Pypes Beast System"?
Old 01-25-2010, 09:48 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

The more I read the reviews on Americanmuscle's site on the SLP loudmouths, the more I'm thinking about getting them. Does anyone know if there's a huge difference between the loudmouths and the boom tubes?
Old 01-25-2010, 09:54 AM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CalmLikeaBomb
I have an offroad H with resonated SLP Loudmouths (pypes M-80)

I enjoy it, but Ive been considering going back.
I have the same set up just with an X. I love it but its been mostly cold so window up driving all day. Im sure once it gets warmer with more window down driving ill end up changing... again
Old 01-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by harraid5711
I hope this isn't a sign of me getting soft in my old age.....I'm about to turn over 30!!
I wouldn't put it that way.

You're recognizing that there is a difference between the car having a "voice" and being just plain loud.

A little like the difference between . . .
typing an opinion into an online discussion topic and
SCREAMING IT OUT IN BIG, BOLDFACED CAPS.

There's a "sweet spot" somewhere between the almost dead-quiet of most new cars and too loud. Probably not quite the same for everybody, and the trick is to find where it is for you.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-25-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:58 AM
CalmLikeaBomb
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eslhockey92g
I have the same set up just with an X. I love it but its been mostly cold so window up driving all day. Im sure once it gets warmer with more window down driving ill end up changing... again
its a freaking endless cycle isnt it man lol
Old 01-25-2010, 10:02 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

I've gone from Flowmaster 40's (too loud), to Magnaflows (too quiet), to the boom tubes. i love the boom tubes, but like i said, am wondering if there's something better out there. I have a v6 so i have a y-pipe..... not sure what setup I can go with back near the cats.

Quick Reply: Extremely happy after going back to catted midpipe