Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Quiet

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:51 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Default Project Quiet

I've had boom tubes for about 3-4 months now and they're starting to get really loud. When I first put them on, they had a nice tight gurgle to them with very little drone. Now they make me want to drive my wife's car instead. The drone on the freeway is getting unbearable.

I've checked for exhaust leaks and even had the mufflers welded to the axle piping due to my paranoia of exhaust leaks. It still drones and sounds like mating whales whenever I touch the throttle on the freeway. I can't take it anymore. I want to make my Mustang the quietest Mustang ever.

What are your recommendations for making my Mustang quieter than stock? Do Corsas make less drone than even the stock exhaust? What about if I just had resonators welded into my current exhaust? Where do I buy resonators? Are they sold based on diameter? I'm going to miss the look of the Boomtubes. I hate the "nut sack" look of the stock mufflers and most aftermarket ones. That "nut sack" muffler pack is hideous!

I've also put about 16 square feet of dynamat in my car. Still irritating.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:11 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

get some mid mufflers, like the pypes or some cherry bombs, mount them right behind your X and then put your stock mufflers on the back. That would be pretty quiet
Old 01-25-2010, 01:19 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

The stock mufflers are just so hideous. It's the cheapest looking part of the car. Maybe if I painted the muffler pack flat black they wouldn't be so offensive.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

I don't understand what would make them drone more, there basically a delete. Just as a side note, my car will drone a lot more when it's really cold out, when it's warm there is almost no drone, maybe that's happening to you?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:23 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfire
I don't understand what would make them drone more, there basically a delete. Just as a side note, my car will drone a lot more when it's really cold out, when it's warm there is almost no drone, maybe that's happening to you?
Over time I guess that baffling in them has loosened up and they got louder. They sound quite nice at 3,500 RPM+ though.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:32 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Yeah when it's cold out, my boomtube + Kooks setup drones like a ****. When it's hot/warm, it does not.

What I don't like is the WOT sound and warmup on start up (especially when it's cold out). Sounds like a dump truck. Well now it does. It did not when my only exhaust mod was boomtubes.

It's funny how many exhaust posts there suddenly is. There's a number of them on here and a few on s197forum. Weird.

Last edited by SirKnightTG; 01-25-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:35 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by replica
I've checked for exhaust leaks and even had the mufflers welded to the axle piping due to my paranoia of exhaust leaks. It still drones and sounds like mating whales whenever I touch the throttle on the freeway. I can't take it anymore. I want to make my Mustang the quietest Mustang ever.

What are your recommendations for making my Mustang quieter than stock? Do Corsas make less drone than even the stock exhaust? What about if I just had resonators welded into my current exhaust? Where do I buy resonators? Are they sold based on diameter? I'm going to miss the look of the Boomtubes. I hate the "nut sack" look of the stock mufflers and most aftermarket ones. That "nut sack" muffler pack is hideous!

LOOOL!

I guess you would not want these then: http://www.nutsfortrucks.com/
Old 01-25-2010, 01:36 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

I want dual truck nuts. 4 nuts are better than 2.

Anyone have some stock (preferably auto) 05+ stock mufflers with the nice rolled tips for sale? I need them.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

flowmasters sound pretty deep, but aren't too ridiculously loud?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:39 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I need just the rolled tips if possible.

Quick Reply: Project Quiet