Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang louvers

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:20 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Mustang louvers

Hello,

For those of you have these on their mustangs, I have a question.

How much does it reduce visibility out the side windows that these cover?
I often use my side window to see if anyone is in my blind spot before changing lanes (FYI, which I do a lot.)

Also, I have seen some that appear to have screw wholes and others without. I assume the ones that don't have wholes are taped on, (maybe using 3m tape). Are there ones that you screw on? If so, do I need to get a new window? I can't see anywhere for these things to attach accept for the 3m tape way.

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:36 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

There are all different types and makes of the ¼ window louvers. Most of them do stick on the window using 3M tape. However there is one company called Silver Horse Racing that offers the flush mount louvers that you have to remove the ¼ window and install the louver in it's place. That is what I got. It is reminiscent of the late '60s style Mustang.
As far as seeing out it, you can, but I have never used the side windows as I use my Blind Spot mirrors on my side mirror to see on coming traffic. Since I drive a big truck all day, I'm used to not having to turn my head but rely on my side mirrors for guidance. Evidently Ford has been reading our forums 'cause now they offer an integrated blind spot mirror on the new 2011 Mustang.
Just get you some Blind spot mirrors from Wal-Mart or any auto stores and you will be good to go.

Here's a couple of pictures of my louvers;

Old 01-28-2010, 03:05 PM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

I have the DC Customs louvers that stick on with 3M tape. I've had mine on for about eight months now haven't had any problems with reduced visibility. I also use my rear side widows to check the blind spot before changing lanes.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:05 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
There are all different types and makes of the ¼ window louvers. Most of them do stick on the window using 3M tape. However there is one company called Silver Horse Racing that offers the flush mount louvers that you have to remove the ¼ window and install the louver in it's place. That is what I got. It is reminiscent of the late '60s style Mustang.
As far as seeing out it, you can, but I have never used the side windows as I use my Blind Spot mirrors on my side mirror to see on coming traffic. Since I drive a big truck all day, I'm used to not having to turn my head but rely on my side mirrors for guidance. Evidently Ford has been reading our forums 'cause now they offer an integrated blind spot mirror on the new 2011 Mustang.
Just get you some Blind spot mirrors from Wal-Mart or any auto stores and you will be good to go.

Here's a couple of pictures of my louvers;

Can you see out your louvers? I can't tell from the image; it looks white where the wholes should be.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Deadbeat
2nd Gear Member

I had the slotted one's that stuck on with 3m tape. I loved those louvers. I work downtown where I really need to use my side windows while backing out of tight parking spots. There was NEVER an issue when it came to visiblity. I took my side louvers off to make way for my rear louver that I got installed a couple of days ago( No pics yet).

Although I am thinking abou getting the Cervini's side louvers (The ones that cover the whole 1/4 window), but I REALLY like the look of my 1/4 windows the way they are. I'm not used to seeing them like that on MY car since I put louvers on a week after I first bought her.

Goodluck with whatever you decide to do!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:28 PM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Deadbeat
I took my side louvers off to make way for my rear louver that I got installed a couple of days ago( No pics yet).
How big is that rear louver you're installing that you have to pull the quarter window louvers off to get it installed?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

I gotta admit....I like my current Roush ones, but I have been considering switching over to the Silver Horse Racing ones. I like that they are flush with the side of the car and also they arent held on with 3m tape (not that mine have ever come off). They do NOT afford the best in the way of sight through them, though I have never had a problem driving with them on the car.

Andretti
Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Grinder88
2nd Gear Member

The roush louvers are screwed into little brackets you have to tape on, they really don't decrease visibility all that much
Old 01-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grinder88
The roush louvers are screwed into little brackets you have to tape on, they really don't decrease visibility all that much
OP, you need to decide what amount of visibility you want/need verses the look of them on the car.

I tried to just go outside in my garage and take a photo for you from the inside of mine with the roush louvers. I ended up not having even one come out because no matter what I did, I couldnt get enough light outside of the car (its night and its in my garage) for the picture to come out while taken from the drivers seat looking back (visibility is cut that much). And I even tried to take one pic with my drop light hanging outside the car right by the window....and I still couldnt get it to come out....'they dont decrese visibility all that much' is misleading if you ask me, but its all good if thats the way he feels about it....

I would be happy to take a pic tomorrow (if its sunny) to demonstrate if you need. Dont get me wrong, I really like the look of my Roush louvers....but I deal with the lack of visibility due to them accordingly...cause its pretty bad. There are three slots....each smaller than the previous. The slot is all of 3/4 finger width wide at best. There is at least one area where I drive that I typically try to avoid because you need to be able to see out of the 1/4 window due to the intersection (its a merge) and I flat out CANT see. If I have a passenger in the car, I usually ask them to spot me and let me know when its clear. Can you see out of them?? Absolutely. A decrease in visibility? I'd bet at LEAST 80%. I make up for it with using my side mirrors bigtime so its not that big a deal to me.

If you are looking for a combo of looks and being able to see too?? I'd suggest the Silver Horse ones. But totally just my opinion.

Hope this helps

Andretti
Old 01-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

From Hubcapsplus. Been on for over 30,000 miles and over 2 1/2 years. Solid as a rock and you can see out and to the rear.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang louvers-dsc01283.jpg  

Quick Reply: Mustang louvers